Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Going to change gear inner and outer cables this Friday....any tips on best way to get outer cable through the frame? I only changed inner cable before because it looks a bit awkward...

Bike update, back on marathon plus mtb tyres now instead of ice spikes. Feels so much nicer to ride now. No doubt a month of sub zero temps on the way [emoji58]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
One way to thread cables through a frame if you've removed the old ones is to put a long bit of string into the hole - long enough to be able to reach the hole at t'other end, then to switch on the vacuum cleaner to suck it through the hole. Sounds crazy, but it works. You tie one end of the string to the cable or an intermediary bit of inner cable strong enough to pull the outer through.

I'm on Ice Spikers still, and I know what you mean about the handling. They aren't the nicest of rides and I can't wait to get my Land Cruisers back on in March. My Orbit is off the road, so I'm having to use the Oxygen even on milder days.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
One way to thread cables through a frame if you've removed the old ones is to put a long bit of string into the hole - long enough to be able to reach the hole at t'other end, then to switch on the vacuum cleaner to suck it through the hole. Sounds crazy, but it works. You tie one end of the string to the cable or an intermediary bit of inner cable strong enough to pull the outer through.

I'm on Ice Spikers still, and I know what you mean about the handling. They aren't the nicest of rides and I can't wait to get my Land Cruisers back on in March. My Orbit is off the road, so I'm having to use the Oxygen even on milder days.
Old cable still in...you given me the idea though....tape new outer to old one...pull old one out...new one goes in its place?

I’m sure I will miss the spikers....just have to decide if it’s safe to ride sub zero without them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What does sub zero mean? :D

I feel your pain! When I lived near Nantes I had close encounters with black ice on two wheels but ICE scooters.

• :D
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes
D

Deleted member 4366

It's no problem to poke the outer cables through. Just poke them through the hole at the top and they come out the bottom. When you've finished, make sure that the gear cable is tied away from the chain-wheel.

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
It's no problem to poke the outer cables through. Just poke them through the hole at the top and they come out the bottom. When you've finished, make sure that the gear cable is tied away from the chain-wheel.
Thanks D8veh...its obviously not as tight as it looks then.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Tried a little experiment today, partly because I wasnt sure how the roads/cycle paths would be due to the weather.

Anyway, I dropped the assist level from 6 to 5, all the way in. Took an extra 15 minutes to get here, but used around 20% less battery.
One thing I did notice was the BS indicator on the LCD fluctuated a bit during the journey...not a great deal, maybe up and down .5 volts, maybe max .75....is this normal, or something I should be looking into?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Tried a little experiment today, partly because I wasnt sure how the roads/cycle paths would be due to the weather.

Anyway, I dropped the assist level from 6 to 5, all the way in. Took an extra 15 minutes to get here, but used around 20% less battery.
One thing I did notice was the BS indicator on the LCD fluctuated a bit during the journey...not a great deal, maybe up and down .5 volts, maybe max .75....is this normal, or something I should be looking into?
BS = Bull s**t? :D Oh you mean battery status :rolleyes:

Yes that is normal, it is the battery sag you are seeing and those are good numbers. On my very tired bottle battery I see up to and over 2v sag :eek:

• :D

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
BS = Bull s**t? :D Oh you mean battery status :rolleyes:

Yes that is normal, it is the battery sag you are seeing and those are good numbers. On my very tired bottle battery I see up to and over 2v sag :eek:
Oops....I missed the M out :eek:....good to know cheers. It would be nice to turn that bit of the display off... I seem to be constantly checking it out and doing the maths in my head....will I make it home......

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
An alternative is to use a tandem length inner cable to thread through both outers and pull them through.

Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Fitted the new gear cable today, wasnt too bad to push the outer through the frame.
Re adjusted the gears, went for a spin....wow....what a difference that has made! Back to perfection. Must remember to put that on my service list :)

aeschylus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2012
Fitted the new gear cable today, wasnt too bad to push the outer through the frame.
Re adjusted the gears, went for a spin....wow....what a difference that has made! Back to perfection. Must remember to put that on my service list :)
Hi Andy

I am close to pulling the trigger on the oxygen

A couple of questions... my local shop has one but 300 more than the internet, would you advise to get local for the 1 year warranty?

Also it says on the internet you can de restrict the oxygen using code 12 on the display, have you done this, did you notice any performance boost if you did?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi Andy

I am close to pulling the trigger on the oxygen

A couple of questions... my local shop has one but 300 more than the internet, would you advise to get local for the 1 year warranty?

Also it says on the internet you can de restrict the oxygen using code 12 on the display, have you done this, did you notice any performance boost if you did?
That works out as an expensive warranty ;)
Personally, I would just buy online. I got mine from ebikes direct and on the couple of occasions I needed help, they were great, even though they are about 300 miles away from me.

The first time was when the brake hydraulic pipe "popped" off the bike....with their advice over the phone and the help on this forum, I sorted that out myself. I guess it may have cost £20 or so to take to a local bike shop if I couldn't manage it. The other option would probably be to have sent either the whole bike back for repair, or remove parts to send back to repair...either way, it would have been pretty inconvenient. I guess it depends on how confident you are to tackle any smaller jobs, or if you really need that local warranty availability.

The second time was when the battery was playing up a bit withe its readings. This time, ebikes direct wanted me to return the battery which would have then gone to Oxygen for repair....we arranged for me to drop the battery directly into Oxygen in Rotherham as its only an hours drive from here, and was a much quicker turnaround than waiting for collection, deliveries etc. I had it back the next working day.

Also, bear in mind i do a lot of miles....3400 now since last June, so doing that many miles increases the chance of needing the warranty I would say.

I have learned a lot about bike maintenance since having the oxygen, not because it has caused me problems, but because I want it to last and would rather service as much as I can myself before things go wrong.

Yes, you can derestrict the bike, I cant remember how its done, but yes, it did make a massive difference to power and top speed when I tried it. Just down to personal choice if you keep it like that or not.

D

Deleted member 4366

It doesn't make any more torque, but it does make more power because power is the product of torque and speed. The torque stays constant beyond 15.5 mph. I've not measured, but I would guess that torque is flat to above 20 mph before it starts ramping down.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Not had much free time to keep this thread up to date lately due to one thing or another.

Finally hit the 4000 mile mark, been a bit low on miles the last few weeks due to work holidays etc, but finally go there.
Bike performing really well still.

I did have to replace the pedals a week or so back as the bearings had shot on one of them. No biggie though.

I do have a problem with the back wheel though, most likely caused by lack of servicing.
I hit a chunk of metal on the way home last night, and pulled over to check the back wheel. No puncture thankfully, but I did notice that the wheel was out of true, but no obvious damage.

Got home safely and gave it a good look over and notice that 2 or 3 of the spokes were very loose. Googled what to do and tightened them up. Span the wheel and it was still out...so proceeded do do what I thought would pull the wheel back in to something close to true.
Needless to say, Ive made a right mess of it, and its worse now than before.

Will have to take it in to a LBS to get it looked at.

So, Ive driven the car today for safety sake, will hopefully get it into the shop after work today.

Its possible that my lack of attention to the spokes over the 4000 miles have caused it rather than the chunk of metal I hit yesterday. But, given the results of my attempt at correcting the trueness of the wheel, its obvious why I have avoided the spokes in the past....

Related Articles

Advertisers