Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I do keep looking at that but it seems a lot of money....if the seat isn't the best will it fix it...

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk
Can't comment on the seat only to say that I just use the standard one that came on my Freego. It changed the ride dramatically and I think it's worth every penny. Like you I thought about it for a long time because of price.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes
D

Deleted member 4366

they could have changed something on the bike - Clare did not get anywhere near.
She wasn't using level 6. You can maintain 24 mph on the flat without pedalling hard. After that, the power ramps down, so you can get a couple more mph by pedalling hard. oxygen haven't changed anything. they have these bikes in my local ebike shop. Nearly every time I go there, someone is trying out an Oxygen. They're their best seller by quite a margin. If you try one, you'll see why. They've always been good right back to the old Emates. Somehow, the total package has always been better than the sum of the parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That's a familiar looking bike!

I did 37 miles today, lots of hills, had mine at power and PAS 6 the entire ride, came home with one bar left so just made it back.

Frankly it was a mistake, I just had some blood taken, I didn't drink much water, I still don't have a bag for the pannier so basically did the whole ride with no water and the last five miles was killing me, my butt hurts with this seat even though it's got gel padding, I assume your seat is the same.

This bike is classy looking, it's got the wow factor and its performing good, your one is the MTB version but I would imagine performs likewise.
Yes, the seat just kind of rubs you up the wrong way rather than hard to sit on. I think its just the shape of it as much as anything.

• Dislike
Reactions: AndyBra

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Put the bike in power mode today rather than Normal, cant say I noticed much difference in the two, and battery usage was the same.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
I really recommend the NCX seatpost, but my S-Cross CB didn't (see here). They gave me a pogo stick style one and that's been ok so far.

If I completely derestrict mine (I normally like it set at around 18mph so I feel it kick in on the hills) the LCD reads 24.2mph under no load.

@Andy Bluenoes I'm surprised you didn't notice a difference in power mode, it was light night and day for me. Could be my imagination I suppose!

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Put the bike in power mode today rather than Normal, cant say I noticed much difference in the two, and battery usage was the same.
Over a timed course power mode should be quicker, acceleration should be a bit sharper as more amps are delivered giving more torque. The real difference is on inclines where the torque is noticeable, find a good hilly section ride the bike in each mode you should notice the extra oomph.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

The main difference in the power modes is the acceleration. If you ride constantly over 20 mph, you're probably in the range where the motor is limiting the current rather than the controller, in which case the power will be exactly the same.

• Informative

Clare the Rear

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2016
Ipswich
She wasn't using level 6. You can maintain 24 mph on the flat without pedalling hard. After that, the power ramps down, so you can get a couple more mph by pedalling hard. oxygen haven't changed anything. they have these bikes in my local ebike shop. Nearly every time I go there, someone is trying out an Oxygen. They're their best seller by quite a margin. If you try one, you'll see why. They've always been good right back to the old Emates. Somehow, the total package has always been better than the sum of the parts.
She was using level 6 & full power. As i have said i've entered the 'code' correctly & tried all the different wheel sizes just in case it made a difference, but the bike with me pedaling hard will still only do about 22mph on the flat before the motor cuts out.

• Agree
Reactions: DBye and Gaz
D

Deleted member 4366

She was using level 6 & full power. As i have said i've entered the 'code' correctly & tried all the different wheel sizes just in case it made a difference, but the bike with me pedaling hard will still only do about 22mph on the flat before the motor cuts out.
The question was how fast the wheel spins when off the ground. That gives the maximum motor speed. How fast you go on the road has no meaning because it depends on how hard you pedal.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Measured the p clip close to perfection...or just luck...

Both mudguards now on. Front one is a very close fit.

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: philliptjohnson

Clare the Rear

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2016
Ipswich
The question was how fast the wheel spins when off the ground. That gives the maximum motor speed. How fast you go on the road has no meaning because it depends on how hard you pedal.
I've put the bike on a stand & spun the pedals, but the motor still seems to stop at about 23/24 mph. The speedo keeps going past 30 if i keep spinning but with no motor assistance?!

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
@Clare the Rear -paid attention on the way home today, I agree with you that when on road the assist falls off at 22mph. I think the gearing is too low to go much above that, I find myself spinning out.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
Looking at the specs the rear cassettes are different on the S-Cross MTB (11-32) and the CB/ST (14/28). So that's probably why I'm not hitting 25mph.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I find just above 22mph to be comfortable for me in 8th gear without killing myself. The motor is still assisting after that, but you dont get that much reward for peddling any harder. Going into 9th gear means the cadence doesnt suit me.

• Agree
Reactions: Mal69

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Moved house finally last week, and been doing lots of work on it since then, so currently off work and not had time to go out on the bike.

Did manage an 8 mile run out last night to take a break from it all. Forgotten how much fun it is :)

Has developed an annoying rattle when I hit a bump...I think it could be the kickstand, but not sure...will have to try and work it out as I know it will pee me off.

Back to work for the full 18 mile run next Monday

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Need to invest in a set of comfy grips, so was going to get these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ergon-gp1-handlebar-grips/

Not sure which ones to get...as space on the bars for grips seems quite small. The current grip length from end to end is 13.5cms. Has anyone had experience of the gp1 grips on the oxygen? Should I go for the gripshift option as they appear shorter?

Related Articles

Advertisers