Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oxygen's CS speaks for it self on here along with the other's mentioned, it is why they are very often recommended.
4k miles should be no problem for a hub motor, my Bafang CST has a good 4k miles on it and the only issue I have had is a noisy bearing easily replaced.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
In my opinion if you intend to rack up the miles good customer service and back up from a shop that is local to you is very important.

My learning curve on this was at least with a decent bike, an Oxygen Emate city that I still own and use. However 50 cycles who I bought it from offered me no help at all when I had a problem with the motor telling me that they no longer sold them and could not help!

I ended up speaking to Andrew at Oxygen direct who went the extra mile to help me.

I bought my second bike a Haibike sDuro HardSeven SL 2015 Yamaha on the 20th March 2015 from Martin at Ebike shop in Farnham which is ten miles away after visiting the shop and test riding the Yamaha against the Bosch and being impressed by Martin's knowledge and enthusiasm after telling him I wanted to create a commuter to work bike that could tackle proper single track off road while still being able to carry panniers on a rear rack.

So far every mechanical issue I have needed help with has been dealt with with great speed and efficiency including a new motor fitted free of charge under warranty after 6000 miles.

I do approaching 3000 miles a year commuting to work and back and have just reached 9000 miles a couple of months into my fourth year of ownership.

Having been impressed by my Oxygen emate city I was quite attracted to the Oxygen mountain bike before I decided on the Haibike but could not find a shop close to me that gave me real confidence.

It was also important to me that the bike I eventually bought would be capable of doing some quite demanding off road routes and think I made the right choice getting a crank drive rather than a hub.

I am heavy, carry panniers and could see myself having spoke issues with a rear hub motor wheel.

I also already owned a hub powered bike and quite frankly just wanted a change, having my Oxygen as a back up which has come in handy occasionally.

But it is very heartening to here that Oxygen are still providing great back up. If I had lived near Oxygen or a good dealer selling them it would have been a harder decision.

I know how much I enjoy riding to work and back on my bike and can understand how relieved Andy is to get his bike back working.

If I keep doing around 3000 miles a year and Andy does 4000 miles it will be interesting to see if our bikes hold together long enough not to say our bodies and minds for Andy to overtake me.

Sounds like one of those GCSE maths problems.

I had one problem with my battery and charger that Martin was unable to help with that I have documented in another thread but was able to overcome this with relative ease myself.

Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The issue I see is not directly concerning the cost of repairs but the expectations of the customers.
It really wasn’t my intent to cast aspersions or question the motives of anyone here, least not Andy or the guys at Oxygen. But there is a bigger question that needs addressing as Woosh suggests...

What constitutes reasonable use?

When you buy a car, it’s guaranteed for X years, or X miles – whichever comes first. It is NOT unlimited mileage, is it? You’d otherwise have every Taxi driver in the country driving Kia’s and still expecting free engine and gearbox replacements after ½ million miles within their 7 year warranty.

With e-bikes especially allowing riders the ability to ride (especially commute) increasingly higher mileages, at what point do you draw the line of being “reasonable use” for warranty purposes?

I’m sure Bafang, Yamaha, Bosch, Daum/Impulse (and all the other motor systems) have a design life – where the quality of bearings, materials, components are weighed carefully against cost, and being designed to cover a set number of miles with only minimal failure rates... after which the motor/components are deemed life expired?

I can’t see that it makes much financial sense for e-bike makers/resellers to continue to offer unconditional/blanket “no questions asked” 1/2/5/10 year warranties irrespective of what mileage, terrain, or conditions under which that bike is to be used. History is littered with examples of well intentioned companies with good product going bust by being too helpful/generous/unquestioning in freely replacing product and avoiding bad press.

Maybe warranties will become more tightly specified as more commuters wake up to the possibilities of using e-bikes for considerably higher mileages/longer distances/commutes than were hitherto possible with a “normal” bike?

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
At the moment its probably so rare that for every ebike commuter ramping up the mileage, there are 100 doing doing well under a thousand a year.

D

Deleted member 4366

It really wasn’t my intent to cast aspersions or question the motives of anyone here, least not Andy or the guys at Oxygen. But there is a bigger question that needs addressing as Woosh suggests...

What constitutes reasonable use?

When you buy a car, it’s guaranteed for X years, or X miles – whichever comes first. It is NOT unlimited mileage, is it? You’d otherwise have every Taxi driver in the country driving Kia’s and still expecting free engine and gearbox replacements after ½ million miles within their 7 year warranty.

With e-bikes especially allowing riders the ability to ride (especially commute) increasingly higher mileages, at what point do you draw the line of being “reasonable use” for warranty purposes?

I’m sure Bafang, Yamaha, Bosch, Daum/Impulse (and all the other motor systems) have a design life – where the quality of bearings, materials, components are weighed carefully against cost, and being designed to cover a set number of miles with only minimal failure rates... after which the motor/components are deemed life expired?

I can’t see that it makes much financial sense for e-bike makers/resellers to continue to offer unconditional/blanket “no questions asked” 1/2/5/10 year warranties irrespective of what mileage, terrain, or conditions under which that bike is to be used. History is littered with examples of well intentioned companies with good product going bust by being too helpful/generous/unquestioning in freely replacing product and avoiding bad press.

Maybe warranties will become more tightly specified as more commuters wake up to the possibilities of using e-bikes for considerably higher mileages/longer distances/commutes than were hitherto possible with a “normal” bike?
This is what I meant about the attitude of the company and its employees and the advantage that small companies have over big ones. It's easier for a small company to react to any service situation that arises and be flexible in their decisions. The more people in the chain between the guy that has the problem and the guy that has the solution, the lower the chance of getting a good service.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
At the moment its probably so rare that for every ebike commuter ramping up the mileage, there are 100 doing doing well under a thousand a year.
The percentage of high milers has crept up over the years. I'd say 1 out of 5 do over 1,000 miles a year, 1 out of 10 over 2,000 a year now.
Modern bikes can cope with the miles, but they still need to be parked under shelter and a rigorous maintenance routine when one does over 1,000 miles a year. Some young people use their bikes like their microwave oven, without ever cleaning them leave alone looking after them properly.

Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
The percentage of high milers has crept up over the years. I'd say 1 out of 5 do over 1,000 miles a year, 1 out of 10 over 2,000 a year now.
Modern bikes can cope with the miles, but they still need to be parked under shelter and a rigorous maintenance routine when one does over 1,000 miles a year. Some young people use their bikes like their microwave oven, without ever cleaning them leave alone looking after them properly.
Imhave to be honest i kmow nothing about maintenence. All i can do is lube the chain area. However i did pay a LBS for a service after a year. Whch got me a new chain, spokes tightened, some new rear cogs wahtver they are called,lol.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Managed to get in a rare pleasure ride late yesterday afternoon while the sun was out.....did around 9 miles, really nice to be back on the bike.

This mornings commute went nice and smoothly...although i noticed that not riding for almost 2 weeks, left me feeling unfit by the end of the ride!

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I don't know how many miles I do a year, as one foible/fault on my Oxygen is that the odometer keeps resetting itself to zero! I use Strava to keep tabs on my mileage, but then I have to keep tabs on Strava. I reckon I ride to work 180 days a year with an average commute of 19 miles return. I reckon that's about 3500 miles/year plus any leisure use I do, say 4500/ year in total. Apart from the connector issue with the battery case, I haven't had any major issues with the bike in 18 months of commuting.

I spent £115 a few weeks ago on a service, including an almost complete drivetrain replacement (I kept the front derailleur), so not bad for getting on for 7000 miles of use.

I reckon a battery replacement will have to be factored in in the next year, but still that is cheaper than running a car - that I would have to pay to park at work.

Reactions: JPGiant

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Bike has been riding fantastically this last week. I even went out on a rare pleasure ride :)

Slight problem today as my charger has packed up at work. I think its a dodgy cable as if you fiddle aroudn with the wires a bit it turns on briefly. Got around 60% charge in the battery I would guess so Im going to have to use my legs a lot more going home tonight!

I think this charger will suit, could anyone confirm for me please so I can get one ordered for delivery tomorrow?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/battery-charger-10Series-Electric-Connector/dp/B074W8GK9D/ref=sr_1_5?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1527070804&sr=8-5&keywords=42+volt+charger&refinements=p_76:419158031

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Informative

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Now the weather has dried up, my rides into work and back can be up to 75% off-road via the leafy lanes of Warwickshire ending up at Kenilworth Castle. Laaarvely

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Now the weather has dried up, my rides into work and back can be up to 75% off-road via the leafy lanes of Warwickshire ending up at Kenilworth Castle. Laaarvely
I finally found a route to avoid the one mile muddy stretch on my commute, it adds about a mile onto it, but much nicer when weather is not so good. I do like trying different routes though as it gets quite mundane if I dont. Will be taking the shortesst route home tonight, will have power set on really low until I get a known point on the route where I can judge if I can set the power back up.....im guessing I will be about 30-40% down on juice when I set off later

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, that went very well.

Battery had 38.5 volts on it when I set off.
Estimated where on the route I would normally have that much left...
Got it pretty much spot on.
Rode with level 3 assist for 9 miles. Very little assistance on that, apart from a nice boost setting off at lights etc. Was surprised how easy it was to ride without it, and managed an average of about 13 mph.

At 9 miles in, I had 37.9 volts....so had barely used any...... whacked the assist up to 6 and flew home [emoji16] ending up with around the usual amount of 35 volts left. Journey only took around 10 minutes longer than usual.

Im pretty sure the bike has increased my fitness over the last year, I certainly wouldn't have managed 9 miles with no assist previously... especially with the weight of the bike and two bulky panniers. Also good to know I could manage it if I ever had a power issue coming home.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Well, that went very well.

Battery had 38.5 volts on it when I set off.
Estimated where on the route I would normally have that much left...
Got it pretty much spot on.
Rode with level 3 assist for 9 miles. Very little assistance on that, apart from a nice boost setting off at lights etc. Was surprised how easy it was to ride without it, and managed an average of about 13 mph.

At 9 miles in, I had 37.9 volts....so had barely used any...... whacked the assist up to 6 and flew home [emoji16] ending up with around the usual amount of 35 volts left. Journey only took around 10 minutes longer than usual.

Im pretty sure the bike has increased my fitness over the last year, I certainly wouldn't have managed 9 miles with no assist previously... especially with the weight of the bike and two bulky panniers. Also good to know I could manage it if I ever had a power issue coming home.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Just got my S Cross and had a couple of rides. I have found that I am able to ride much more without power than on previous bike so hopefully I'll get a lot fitter as well. We'll see

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
About a year ago the fuse on my Yamaha charger blew in spectacular style when I plugged it in at work, and typically on a day that I had set off to work with about an 80% charge rather than full. This left me with 52% for the 10 mile journey home.

However once at home I would have no means of charging the battery straight away and did not want to have to leave the battery too depleted so that it might be damaged if not charged again quickly.

Using d8veh many procrastinations about the range of a battery as inspiration I decided that I wanted to get home with about 42% of the battery remaining so as not to leave it too empty before I could charge it again and by carefully managing the way I rode the bike (turned the power off a lot) did just that using 10% of the battery for 10 miles.

It was really not as bad as I thought it might be and once moving I found the bike rolled along quite well. Used in this way your electric bike range is pretty much infinite as d8veh has pointed out to us before.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Should be quite easy to repair you charger Andy, is it the ac or dc side that has the wire break ?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Should be quite easy to repair you charger Andy, is it the ac or dc side that has the wire break ?
It’s the ac side....I plugged it in when I got home...crackled and sparked a bit then the charge light went off so I’ve just left it alone.

When I took the lid off before, it looked to me like the ac connection on the board was loose....one of the solder joints on the back of the board looks a bit burnt too....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
It’s the ac side....I plugged it in when I got home...crackled and sparked a bit then the charge light went off so I’ve just left it alone.

When I took the lid off before, it looked to me like the ac connection on the board was loose....one of the solder joints on the back of the board looks a bit burnt too....

Related Articles

Advertisers