Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a fuse standing upright next to the black connector. It would be worth checking it. The crackling is often just from when the connector isn't fully in, but the surges from the continuous on/off from the bad connection could make the fuse blow.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That's a fuse standing upright next to the black connector. It would be worth checking it. The crackling is often just from when the connector isn't fully in, but the surges from the continuous on/off from the bad connection could make the fuse blow.
Thanks Dave

The new one arrived nice and early yesterday, so all back up and running.

When I get chance, ill dig out my old soldering iron and have a tinker and also take a look at that fuse. Would be nice to have a spare one kicking about

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Been a while since I updated this thread, which is good news for the bike.

Its now been a year since I took delivery of the Oxygen, and I have clocked slightly under the 5k I expected to hit....4815miles.

I really cant complain about the bike, its had a few niggles, but if I had done this many in the car, I would have probably had as many. All in all, very pleased with the purchase, especially as I go it under the C2W scheme, its been more than worth the cost.

Major job changes are upcoming thanks to a forced redundancy, so not sure what lies ahead for commuting come the end of September. Its a chance to get a job a little bit closer to home, which can only be a good thing for the workhorse :)

If anyone is in two minds as to get one of these or not, hopefully there has been enough information in this thread to make your mind up.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Another little update.

Ive now surpassed the magic 5000miles....5200.
No issues whatsover since the motor problem a couple of months back.
In fact, due to the amazingly summer we have had, i havent even washed the bike since then. Not even oiled the chain!
Just the usual checks and thats about it. Not done so many miles of late since news at work broke, and happily "work" from home twice a week now.

Good news for the bike though...I have now been offered a job starting just after i get evicted by my current employer at the end of September, which will mean the mileage will drop from 18.5 to 7 miles each way....that is going to be so different!

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Another little update.

In fact, due to the amazingly summer we have had, i havent even washed the bike since then. Not even oiled the chain!
Just the usual checks and thats about it. Not done so many miles of late since news at work broke, and happily "work" from home twice a week now.

Good news for the bike though...I have now been offered a job starting just after i get evicted by my current employer at the end of September, which will mean the mileage will drop from 18.5 to 7 miles each way....that is going to be so different!
Do you have any close up pictures of your tyres, i was wondering if MTB are maybe sturdier than the road tyres i use.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Do you have any close up pictures of your tyres, i was wondering if MTB are maybe sturdier than the road tyres i use.
I've had these marathon plus MTBs on for a while now...no punctures with them on

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
I've had these marathon plus MTBs on for a while now...no punctures with them on

They look sturdy, i am concerned with my rear wheel tyre, the front has always been fine, i use Energizer Pro Touring from Schwalbe but they are road tyres.

Is the wheel on the MTB version of the Oxygen bike different from the normal non-MTB version of the bike, i mean would those tyres you have fit my bike?

Muddy

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
I’ve just spent the evening reading this thread, very useful and entertaining for someone new to ebikes
Sad it’s come to an end and now looking forward to the latest new episode.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
They look sturdy, i am concerned with my rear wheel tyre, the front has always been fine, i use Energizer Pro Touring from Schwalbe but they are road tyres.

Is the wheel on the MTB version of the Oxygen bike different from the normal non-MTB version of the bike, i mean would those tyres you have fit my bike?
I'm not sure to be honest....but they do these tyres in lots of different sizes so worth having a look on chain reaction for your specific size

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I’ve just spent the evening reading this thread, very useful and entertaining for someone new to ebikes
Sad it’s come to an end and now looking forward to the latest new episode.
Yeah, it's been an incredible journey.
I will really miss the long commute when I change jobs!
Saying that, it means I reckon I'll get at least another year from it... especially the battery as that has taken a hammering over the last year being charged twice a day.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Ah Andy your new commute may mean that you never catch me up although I have started using my own old Oxygen Emate City to share commuting duties with the Haibike, using the Oxygen when I am riding there and back on the road and the Haibike when I using my longer off road route to work and road back. My Haibike has now reached 9544 miles.

To complicate the equation further I only use the Haibike for riding to work and back and work a four day week and avoid the days where heavy rain is forecast so we may still be doing similar miles.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
To complicate the equation further I only use the Haibike for riding to work and back and work a four day week and avoid the days where heavy rain is forecast so we may still be doing similar miles.
Yes, it will take me a fair few years to get up there.....pretty amazing number of miles!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
10k miles is good for a ebike without too many issues, my brother who occasionally posts has a Kalkhoff Endeavour with about 16k on it now.

• Informative

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
The motor was replaced under warranty at 6000 miles just on the two year guarantee. The bearing developed play but otherwise the motor was fine but the shop just swapped in a new motor very quickly free of charge (Well done Martin at Ebike shop Farnham).

It will be interesting to see if the bearing on the new motor develops play earlier or later and if the dealership will be able to put a new bearing in or whether I will need to buy a new motor ( hello John got a new motor).

The original battery is still working pretty much identically to the way it performed when new. On my 12 mile off road ride to work yesterday it only used 22% of its 400Wh capacity giving a theoretical range of 54.55 miles from my 9644 mile, getting on for three and a half year old battery.

However this paints a too optimistic picture as I only use eco and actually turn the motor off a lot where the gradient permits on my off road journey to work.

A more realistic picture would be gained from my 10 mile on road home journey where I try to average 20 mph and last night used 32% of my battery giving a potential range of 29.4 miles. But again this has not changed from when the bike and battery was new.

If Yamaha will not provide dealers with spar parts I will have to either replace the bearing myself or buy a new motor when the bearing develops play. From my experience if you look after them the batteries last longer than the motors!

As I am very happy with my bike it might even make some kind of mad sense to buy a whole new same type of bike for all the spar parts it could provide, Battery, Motor, Brakes, two year warranty etc etc than buying new motors and batteries. I paid £1750 for my bike when new.

I did have an issue with the battery when the connecting plug broke as well as a pin connector on the battery. The dealer was unable to help me on that occasion and I had to fix it myself or buy a new battery and charger! I did fix it myself but had to open the battery to solder leads directly to the connectors inside but my new generic 4 way connectors are easier to use and more secure (if uglier) than the original ones and the total fix cost less than a £10 in bits so was somewhat more cost effective than a new battery and charger!
Yamaha Battery and Charger 008.JPG
Yamaha Battery and Charger 010.JPG

However I have been really impressed with the Yamaha PU motor and system and the quality of the Haibike that has shrugged off the punishment I have given it.

Remember up to half of my miles are off road where the bike gets some proper punishment. I have also had the support of a really good dealer when I have needed them.

Last edited:

Topdog206

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2018
Got my bike off the back of reading this very informative review! I'm doing 23miles each way to work on a Oxygen S cross MTB fitted a suntour ncx seat post it perfect gives the feel of a full suspension with out the extra cost! And still 40% battery left each way very happy with it.

Reactions: Julie

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
Another little update.

Thanks for the update and encouraging too see the reliability of the oxygen s-cross. I have s-cross st and use mine regularly but not on a commute. Have put 350 miles on it so far and is really good workhorse on my local routes visiting relatives /collecting provisions and to ferry my inflatable paddle board on (rucksack). Also have a single pannier fitted to the supplied rack to assit.

Got my bike off the back of reading this very informative review! I'm doing 23miles each way to work on a Oxygen S cross MTB fitted a suntour ncx seat post it perfect gives the feel of a full suspension with out the extra cost! And still 40% battery left each way very happy with it.
thanks will source an ncx post...do you know what size fitting it is as have been having issues obtaining a correct sized allen screw seat post clamp

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks for the update and encouraging too see the reliability of the oxygen s-cross. I have s-cross st and use mine regularly but not on a commute. Have put 350 miles on it so far and is really good workhorse on my local routes visiting relatives /collecting provisions and to ferry my inflatable paddle board on (rucksack). Also have a single pannier fitted to the supplied rack to assit.

thanks will source an ncx post...do you know what size fitting it is as have been having issues obtaining a correct sized allen screw seat post clamp

Hi Graham

I bought this one....although its not in stock at the moment. Its 27.2mm, but im sure it also came with a sleeve to go inside the seatpost which I used too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BIQN9UC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
The SR SUNTOUR SP12-NCX is still currently available from Amazon at £60.11, but stock is low (more on the way):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SR-SUNTOUR-Sp12-Ncx-Seat-Posts/dp/B01HMXE8ZU?th=1&psc=1

As JPGiant recommends, make sure to measure the current seat tube because there are two different diameters, 27.2mm and 31.6mm.

This seat post has totally transformed the ride on my hardtail Freego Eagle over the UK’s poorly maintained road surfaces.

Suntour SP12 NCX manual:
http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/Consumer/Bike/Owners manuals/2012/SEAT_POST_MANUAL_2012_EN.pdf

Two servicing videos:

MrCh00

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
Very interesting thread. I'm new to these ebikes and I have my eye on this bike and also the Wisper 905 torque mk2. I did want the woosh Rio but unfortunately they don't accept cycle2work vouchers. Just not sure if these 2 bikes are a little of an over kill for me as I only commute 7 miles with a hill on the return from work.

Related Articles

Advertisers