Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
That's how I have my saddles. Horses for courses...

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That's how I have my saddles. Horses for courses...
Well, after an absolutely painful as hell ride in yesterday morning, i did a google search on setting up your seat.
Find a really detailed page that was linked to on this forum....

First of all, I bought some assos chamois cream....that in itself helped ease the pain. Although it doesn't cure saddle sore, it is supposed to prevent it, and by all accounts does a good job.

I was dreading riding home yesterday afternoon, but with the cream in place, and the seat readjusted, more horizontal than before, and further back, it was a different ride. I wouldn't say it was comfortable due to damage already done, but, I'm pretty sure that once my butt has had time to heal, it should be so much better than before!

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Very strange thing after I got home today.

I put the bike away in the utility room, walked away, then jumped a foot in the air after hearing a mini explosion! Sounded a bit like a light bulb exploding.

Turned round and watched the rear tyre rapidly deflating. Looks like the tyre wall has come apart! Never seen that before. Just glad it wasnt 10 minutes before while riding it.

WIll take it off later and have a look for some replacements.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
What pressure were you running them at? And no, that shouldn't happen. I would definitely approach your supplier and ask them for some new ones, but is this also a good time to go for those Land Cruisers?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
What pressure were you running them at? And no, that shouldn't happen. I would definitely approach your supplier and ask them for some new ones, but is this also a good time to go for those Land Cruisers?
They were at 55, which is the max stated on the sidewall. I might email ebikes direct, but expect them to say its jsut a puncture and wear and tear....

Searching for tyres now, found the Land Cruisers which I should be able to get for Saturday...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-land-cruiser-plus-bike-tyre/rp-prod143783
I know you highly recommend those, but they are only 2.0 profile, and less knobbly than mine, so they might look a bit odd under my mudguards.

Found these as another option:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-rapid-rob-mtb-tyre-k-guard/rp-prod83180
Seem to have good reviews.

I hate looking for tyres :(

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I recommend the Land Cruisers because they are great on both tarmac and less technical off-road surfaces, such as bridleways and towpaths. The raised central tread lets you go significantly quicker than the MTB tyres you've linked to. They are quite a chunky tyre. I'll see if I can get a photo of my bike and show you how they look on my EMate. Won't be until tomorrow though.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I recommend the Land Cruisers because they are great on both tarmac and less technical off-road surfaces, such as bridleways and towpaths. The raised central tread lets you go significantly quicker than the MTB tyres you've linked to. They are quite a chunky tyre. I'll see if I can get a photo of my bike and show you how they look on my EMate. Won't be until tomorrow though.
Thanks Warwick....there are a couple of sites who will deliver Saturday if I get the order in tomorrow.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
By the way, you haven't done all that many miles on the bike, have you? wear & tear is one thing, but a low mileage tyre giving way dangerously like that is another kettle of fish, especially as you were running them within the specified pressure limits.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
By the way, you haven't done all that many miles on the bike, have you? wear & tear is one thing, but a low mileage tyre giving way dangerously like that is another kettle of fish, especially as you were running them within the specified pressure limits.
About 400 miles now I think....ive emailed them asking for their thoughts, and the fact that it could have been a lot worse.

No idea what caused it, there was no shrapnel or anything in the tyre/tube, but the tube had a gaping hole in it too. To be honest, I dont want to put the same tyres back on now, havent got the confidence in them.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
About 400 miles now I think....ive emailed them asking for their thoughts, and the fact that it could have been a lot worse.

No idea what caused it, there was no shrapnel or anything in the tyre/tube, but the tube had a gaping hole in it too. To be honest, I dont want to put the same tyres back on now, havent got the confidence in them.
My bike came with the rapid robs with k guard.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
So the Radial ergo mtb lock on grips arrived today. About 9 quid on eBay.
Slight problem. There is some sort of lockable core on the end that won't fit either in or around my bar ends. So it means they aren't going onto my bars the final inch. I can still lock with the collar. But not the end Allen bolt. It does nothing. So now my handlebars are even wider.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
As expected, the bike shop suggests it was a regular old puncture.
"it does look like the tyre has caught on something sharp or lent against something sharp in order for this to split in such a manner and weakened the sidewall of the tyre which would have caused the inner tube to bulge and subsequently cause a blowout further down the line, which has caused the major split"

Just about to order some replacements.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Looks like a classic tyre sidewall failure on a hub motor bike.

Marathon Pluses are about as tough as you can get, so I would fit those.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Looks like a classic tyre sidewall failure on a hub motor bike.

Marathon Pluses are about as tough as you can get, so I would fit those.
Pretty sure I will go with those. Slightly more expensive than the land cruisers but I've had them before and put 2000 miles on them with no punctures or problems.
Can get them by tomorrow too.

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Oh and thumbs up to Ebikes Direct...I told them about it not expecting anything, more for info.
They're sending me a couple of inner tubes and slime gratis.

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

Related Articles

Advertisers