Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Ouch thats a shame, the handlebars are wide enough, don't want them any wider. Could they be trimmed to fit do you think? I will have a look at them when they arrive and if not they can go back!
Drat!
Well my ones, and I think the same as was from Leigh's link. At the end, inside they have a bit that's meant to stick into the opening of your handlebars and then can be screwed tight from the outside. So they clamp at each end. Trouble is this bit inside is a tiny bit too big to go in my handlebars. But you can't access it to trim it or anything.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well my ones, and I think the same as was from Leigh's link. At the end, inside they have a bit that's meant to stick into the opening of your handlebars and then can be screwed tight from the outside. So they clamp at each end. Trouble is this bit inside is a tiny bit too big to go in my handlebars. But you can't access it to trim it or anything.
I know they are a lot more expensive, but the ergon ones I bought are a perfect fit, and they work really well. Doing so many miles made sense for me to spend the extra

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Woulds omeone be kind enough to give me a link to some suitable brake pads please? Need to get some in my kitty ready for when I need them

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I'd be surprised if you need any for a very long time. i changed mine after 4000 miles. They were about 50% worn through, so probably good for another 4000 miles.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I'd be surprised if you need any for a very long time. i changed mine after 4000 miles. They were about 50% worn through, so probably good for another 4000 miles.
Good to know...I have a week off work now, so no commute...going to give it a good check over

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Back to work today....it was nice to go back just to get on the bike.
Lovely weather for it, peeing down all the way in.

Got me to thinking about the winter, and winter tyres. I used ice spikers on my stealth from about end of november to end of Feb, and pretty sure I will want something similar as I dont expect the cycle paths to be gritted.

Not so many options about with the 27.5", in fact, I can only find these. Might be worth getting them now before winter comes and prices go up? Will 2.25 profile fit my wheels okay?

I think they are actually the same tyre....

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-ice-spiker-pro-evo-liteskin-650b-folding-mtb-tyre/
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-ice-spiker-pro-evolution-winter-mtb-tyre/rp-prod71434

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
I used to run some 28 x 2 (622 x 50) balloon bike tyres on my S-Cross CB. They just fit. When Oxygen replaced the frame I could no longer use the rear tyre as it just caught on the connection point for the rear mud guard by the bottom bracket.

Going by that, I'd say 2.25 may be too wide.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The 650b Ice Spiker comes in Liteskin and Raceguard flavours.

Not much in it performance wise, although Raceguard has a bit more puncture protection.

It may not always be clear from retailer links which tyre is being offered for sale.

The tyres will fit on the wheel, but there may be some clearance problems elsewhere, either frame or mudguards.

You won't know that until you try.

For example, studded tyres on my Rose were fine on the front, but the rear scraped the underside of the mudguard.

Your problem may be greater because the only Schwalbe 650b ice tyre is the one with the chunky tread.

Pity, because a standard Marathon Winter would fit your use better, but it's not made in 650b.

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/spike-reader/ice-spiker-pro.html

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Now its been mentioned, I do think there will be a problem with the frame...there isnt much space either side of the wheel with the marathon plus tyres on which are 2.1. The 2.25 and extra rubber will probably be just too much, and the front mudguard is a very tight fit too.

Ah well, just have to be more careful in the winter I guess.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Now its been mentioned, I do think there will be a problem with the frame...there isnt much space either side of the wheel with the marathon plus tyres on which are 2.1. The 2.25 and extra rubber will probably be just too much, and the front mudguard is a very tight fit too.

Ah well, just have to be more careful in the winter I guess.
From that description, the Ice Spikers certainly will not fit.

I was going to suggest changing to 26" wheels and ice tyres, everything would then fit, but of course you have a motor wheel.

Could still be done, but would be prohibitively complicated and expensive.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, had a closer look at the frame at the bottom. I think the tyres should fit....

2017-08-15 17.07.20.jpg

But, I think id have to make some major changes to the front mudguard....

2017-08-15 17.07.48.jpg

• Informative

Suitgirl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
Hiya, well I left it to my old man who is quite handy and he seemed to manage it o.k. and I am very pleased with them, much more comfortable!

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I hit the 1000 mile mark this week, so time for a little update.
Nothing much to report really, the bike has been faultless since the first couple of glitches...the exploding tyre and broken hydraulic brake, but those could have happened to any bike I guess.

I am getting the mileage figure from Strava as the Odometer has yet again reset itself about 300 miles ago. No idea what caused it as nothing has been disconnected since it happened before.

The bike is a pleasure to ride now, my butt seems to have gotten used to the seat, and dont have any problems with comfort now. The suspension post Im sure has also helped with that.

The ergon grips I bought have also massively improved the painful wrists too.

The rattling battery has been cured by sticking a couple of 2mm thick felt pads inside the frame, and the noise has now gone too.

Ridden in torrential rain to no ill effect, although the breaks are massively reduced in power during the rain.

Only thing left for me to try and sort out is winter tyres. Ill be riding it to work through out the winter, so will feel safer if I put ice spikes on. Keeping my eyes open for a suitable pair, and then may have to make front mudguard adjustments to fit them.

Highly recommend the bike to anyone, and thank everyone for the advice before I bought it, as the great reviews given have turned out to be accurate :)

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
If the brakes are not performing well in the rain, that's a sign the pads don't pass muster. I replaced my eMate ones with some Clarks and the difference was dramatic. Something to consider, maybe? Changing pads is easy, there is probably a YouTube video of your exact brake model.

• Useful

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
If the brakes are not performing well in the rain, that's a sign the pads don't pass muster. I replaced my eMate ones with some Clarks and the difference was dramatic. Something to consider, maybe? Changing pads is easy, there is probably a YouTube video of your exact brake model.
Which type of pad do you recommend...resin etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Useful

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
  • Useful

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Latest update at just over 1500 miles.

No problems encountered, in fact, it’s leaving all other Ebikes I had as bad distant memories, so very happy with it.

Just did a bit of a big service on it, following Tony, Woosh’s post elsewhere...thanks for that Tony it was a great help for anyone.

Replaced the break pads with the ones Warwick mentioned previously....the rears were starting to get a bit thin. Can’t say if they are an improvement yet as not had any rain since.

Ordered myself a pair of ice spiker pros ready for winter. Will probably have to swap out my full length front mudguard to get the front tyre on...so looking out for a decent one that fixes into the fork stem.

Oh...the odometer has reset itself once more, seems to be a common thing with the oxygen? If that is the only problem I get, I’ll be more than happy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Related Articles

Advertisers