Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Brilliant news Andy. Quick question as we have the same bike. Is it possible to raise the handlebars? Or is it some big palaver?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can if you got spacers above it if not you need a stem with more rise.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Brilliant news Andy. Quick question as we have the same bike. Is it possible to raise the handlebars? Or is it some big palaver?
I’ve just got used to the position now. Overall, it seems comfortable enough now. Even used to the seat too. Occasionally get a bit of a numb butt, or wrists but in the main, it’s good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I’ve just got used to the position now. Overall, it seems comfortable enough now. Even used to the seat too. Occasionally get a bit of a numb butt, or wrists but in the main, it’s good.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
'Bars can be raised with something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bhp-22-steerer-tube-extender/ BUT you may not have the cable length to accommodate the rise it gives. My Oygen eMate has quite a long stem, as may yours. Fitting a shorter stem and a riser like the above might achieve what you're after.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
last week I saw a women on a bike with rear paniers and she seemed to go up a local hill with ease, I'm was not sure if it was an ebike
as I could not see a battery I followed her in turbo mode and eventually caught up with her at traffic lights it was a oxygen ebike but not sure of model it seemed to have a dynamo in front wheel and integrated battery in the frame.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Just swap the stem for an adjustable one and it'll bring the bar towards you as well as upwards.
Thanks guys. I will look into the suggestions. It's fine really but I do put a lot of weight on my arms and hands. I was wondering if the handlebars were higher if that might take some weight off. However does that mean more stress on the small of the back?

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Thanks guys. I will look into the suggestions. It's fine really but I do put a lot of weight on my arms and hands. I was wondering if the handlebars were higher if that might take some weight off. However does that mean more stress on the small of the back?
I get sore wrists sometimes. I've not noticed much improvement in that area from being more upright though; a smidge at best. Why would being more upright put stress on the small of the back? When leaning forward gravity is trying to pull the middle of your torso downwards (especially if you're heavy) and your muscles have to fight against it. So if anything, that's worse. Certainly is for my back anyway.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Thanks guys. I will look into the suggestions. It's fine really but I do put a lot of weight on my arms and hands.
See if you can move your saddle forwards a centimetre or so. Small adjustments can make a big difference.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I now have my ice spiker pros, they dont look much different in size to the marathons i have on now.

Would it be safe to bed the spikes in on the front wheel a tyre at a time? Would save me having to get the back wheel off and would tell me if the front mudguard is too close too.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I think the guidance is to just avoid sharp acceleration and braking for the first 40-50Km.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Ah, I see. I can't see any reason why not in that case. You won't need a bell once you've fitted them!

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ah, I see. I can't see any reason why not in that case. You won't need a bell once you've fitted them!
You’re not kidding!
Put one on the front ...forgot how noisy they are.

Bonus was with a slight adjustment to the mudguard, I don’t have to swap it for something smaller that doesn’t work :)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
1750 miles completed now, still going strong.

I am contemplating replacing the chain as it does now seem a bit loose. It hasn’t come off as yet, but it just feels a bit “crunchie” under load.

I’ve adjusted the gears, and they change smoothly when up on the stand, but not as sweet under load.

So, maybe the chain has now stretched.....should I be thinking of replacing the cassette too?

D

Deleted member 4366

I doubt that there's any significant wear on the cassette. Don't go by how it looks. Some of the teeth are assymetric and some look like shark's teeth when new. Many people get confused when they expect the teeth to look like those on motorcycle or other plain sprockets, but they're totally different to facilitate gear-shifting.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I doubt that there's any significant wear on the cassette. Don't go by how it looks. Some of the teeth are assymetric and some look like shark's teeth when new. Many people get confused when they expect the teeth to look like those on motorcycle or other plain sprockets, but they're totally different to facilitate gear-shifting.
Yes...the cassette does look fine to my untrained eye, I just remember on the stealth putting a new chain on made it worse as the teeth had worn on the cogs....

Can you recommend a decent chain please D8veh?

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you recommend a decent chain please D8veh?
I'm not the best person to ask because i just use the cheapest ones from Ebay. I got 4000 miles out of the last one. You don't need anything special for a bike with a hub-motor.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
If your Oxygen has a SRAM derailleur set up, you could do worse than their PC-951 chain. About a tenner.

Related Articles

Advertisers