Oxygen vs Whoosh for 50miles a day commute

Topdog206

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2018
Hi all,

After doing a 50 mile round trip commute to work mainly roads, can charge the battery up at work in the day if required for my ride home.

Good level of fitness about 15st but after working a 10hr shift I'd like to know I could get home a bit easier if I wanted to using an ebike than not cycling in at all.

Based near Manchester, going to look at the Oxygen this weekend and try it out.

Looking to do it 2-3 days a week and drive the rest.

I know this questions has been asked many times but I'm finding it very trick to decide..........Oxygen mtb / commuter or Whoosh both have their pros 2 year warranty but more expensive. Whoosh alot better on price point and bigger battery but not as good to look at?

Front vs rear drive.......

Theirs about £400 price difference is it worth it?

What do you think is this a good idea 50miles or am I kidding myself that's it might be possible?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for 50 mile round trip:

Woosh Karoo with 13AH or 17AH battery. The Karoo is light, fitted with rigid fork and narrow road tyres can do 50 miles with the 13AH battery. The 17AH battery would do 70+ miles.

Woosh Big Bear with 15AH: if you weigh more than 15st, the Big Bear is a good choice.

Woosh Rio MTB with 13AH or 17AH battery, magnesium 100mm fork, hydraulic brakes, compared to the Karoo: less range but more comfortable.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-mtb

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I have an older Oxygen eMate and I do a 11-mile each way commute with battery to spare. It is easy to derestrict and I have fitted a Suntour NCX suspension seatpost to it, as well as mudguards. I also fitted riser handlebars, but apart from that it's standard. I average about 16-17mph on my journeys using the highest power setting in the Eco mode - so pleanty more poke is available. The battery is over 2 years old - coming up to three, but it still holds a decent charge. You should go for the 13ah battery option for your journey, for sure.

I think 25 miles each way is doable, but a top up of the battery at work is probably a good idea. I would fit tyres to suit the task; i.e. not knobblies and ones that can be pumped up quite high and offer a lot of puncture protection. Consider a dynamo front hub for the dark rides home.

The Oxygen is by far the best ebike I have had. It is very well put together and uses quality parts that will last. You will probably need to tweak little, cheap bits to get it to suit your riding style and position, but it is a very good base on which to build.

Superseded

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2018
Stowmarket
I bought the Oxygen SCross CB with the 13ah battery last month. So far I've only managed around 150miles total, but my 17.5-mile commute to work is easily achievable.

I'm at work today on it, and decided to test it out - I left it on Power 6 the whole way - I still put in some good effort, but only depleted the second battery bar(3 left) as I arrived. I'm 88kg, and I'd also say I'm reasonably fit. By my maths, 50 miles will be about the limit BUT this was on max assistance setting (I may have also played with the limiter...).

I've done 30 miles using one full bar, and the second bar flicking on and off at eco 4.

I'd be confident on mine that a 50-mile journey was ok as long as I didn't want max assistance the whole way.

Terrain may have a bigger impact as my journeys have been reasonably flat.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
I ride a Woosh Rio MTB with the 13AH battery, I've had it almost a year and in that time I have had zero mechanical or electrical problems.

I have not even had one puncture.

I only have a 4 miles round trip to work but the two mile back is all uphill. I go everywhere on the highest level of assist and charge the battery twice a week.

The Rio is fast and comfortable, and the brakes are unbelievable. Hyrdalic disc brakes front and rear which have serious stopping power but also have really intuitive feel through the levers. I have never once locked up the brakes, even through I have had to stop quickly once or twice......to avoid getting hit by something.

I was also able to buy it on the Bike 2 Work scheme if that helps.

Topdog206

Jun 14, 2018
That's for all the information guys, been and tried an Oxygen and very impressed!

Ive been doing a bit more reading as I was concerned that charging it twice a day would reduce the battery life as and the warranty exspects 40% degregation in two years? I don't want to end up that I can't use the ebike for what I bought it for.

Are the batterys on the Oxygen a standard battery these ones slot into the frame.

Could I buy a bigger one FROM A 3rd party 2 years down the line? Might be a silly question but don't want to get one then find out I'm killing the battery and there isn't an option to upgrade it to say 17AH in the future?

Thanks

• Useful

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can always get the old battery recelled when it's time to upgrade.
At the moment, only Woosh stock the 17AH Dorado battery (that's the name of the battery case) but there is a danger that the anti dumping duty on Chinese e-bikes is going to cause a lot of disruption for a few years.

Topdog206

Jun 14, 2018
You can always get the old battery recelled when it's time to upgrade.
At the moment, only Woosh stock the 17AH Dorado battery (that's the name of the battery case) but there is a danger that the anti dumping duty on Chinese e-bikes is going to cause a lot of disruption for a few years.
How much are the 17AH battery packs?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
My 13Ah battery was recelled to 17.5Ah by Jimmy at BGA & could have gone up to 21Ah at a push. It's not semi-integrated into the frame though. You'd get at least like-for-like with a recell, plus better cells.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the 13AH has Samsung cells, the 17AH has Panasonic cells.

• Informative

Topdog206

Jun 14, 2018
Hi Gents,

Thanks for all your info, I have decided I'm going to give the Oxygen S Cross MTB a go, reasons being it's gets really good reviews from many members on here and their is a local dealer near to me if I have any issues warranty wise.

For the rio this was limited reviews and no local dealers.i will feel a lot better know I can take it somewhere worse case.

After talking to Oxygen I'm going to go with the 13AH battery and see how I get on they say it should be fine as long as I peddle :rolleyes:;):)

So I need some more advice which tyres are best for rolling resistance and puncture protection it's 27.5 size wheels thinner the better for road work? I will mainly be doing road work with some tow paths at the weekend.

Also any suggestions on a extra charger for at work?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Reactions: Topdog206

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've being using 27.5 x2.00 Schwalbe Allmotion on rear. This is touring/commuter tyre, very quiet and quick. Best on tarmac, gravel dirt if its dry. For better puncture resistance set it up as tubeless which is what they were intended for.