Panda Mid Drive, seems under powered

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
Panda Mid Drive, seems under powered and the throttle is crap.

so its a Panda 250w mid drive fitted to a Carrera crossfire. It has been on other bikes and is the same. it seems in general very under powered. it wont pull away on the throttle unless you give it a little push off. once the bikes moving even very slightly the throttle takes over. from a standing start the motor bangs as though its trying but doesn't have enough power.

Ive just tested 2 out, the carrera mid drive and my boardman 250w rear, both 28 inch wheels and i used the same battery on both. the results were in my back street which has a slight up incline.

boardman - pulled away from a standing start, got up to 11mph quite quickly and felt fine.

Carrier, need a little push to get moving and very slowly got to 7mph. i did also notice when in lower gears (hill climbing gears) its a tad better. seems like it just doesn't have enough power.

the mid drive settings
p01 - 02
po2 - 01
p03 - 36
p04 - 5
p06 - 28
p07 - 15
p08 - 56
p09 - 0
p10 - 02
p11 - 01
p12 - 01
p13 - 12
p14 - 17
p15 - 31.0
p16 - 58

i hope my grammars better and Ive explained better

D

Deleted member 4366

Good explanation, except there's some vital missing information. Is it a BBS01? If so, which display do you have?

Assuming it is a BBS01, I've always used the programming cable and software. I can't relate those parameters to what they are, so I can't help. Can anybody translate them?

Panda Mid Drive, seems under powered and the throttle is crap.

so its a Panda 250w mid drive fitted to a Carrera crossfire. It has been on other bikes and is the same. it seems in general very under powered. it wont pull away on the throttle unless you give it a little push off. once the bikes moving even very slightly the throttle takes over. from a standing start the motor bangs as though its trying but doesn't have enough power.

Ive just tested 2 out, the carrera mid drive and my boardman 250w rear, both 28 inch wheels and i used the same battery on both. the results were in my back street which has a slight up incline.

boardman - pulled away from a standing start, got up to 11mph quite quickly and felt fine.

Carrier, need a little push to get moving and very slowly got to 7mph. i did also notice when in lower gears (hill climbing gears) its a tad better. seems like it just doesn't have enough power.

the mid drive settings
p01 - 02
po2 - 01
p03 - 36
p04 - 5
p06 - 28
p07 - 15
p08 - 56
p09 - 0
p10 - 02
p11 - 01
p12 - 01
p13 - 12
p14 - 17
p15 - 31.0
p16 - 58

i hope my grammars better and Ive explained better
Hi Billym,

I had what sounds like exactly the same issue with a 'Yoch' 36V 250W motor, that I believe is made by the same company that make the M-Drive for Panda out in China.
A repeated clunky thud noise emitted from the motor when trying to run on PAS or throttle, repeated judders and extremely low (or seemingly fouled) power output produced barely enough to turn the motor even on highest assist level, let alone propel the bike; it was as if something was fouling inside the motor.
My initial thoughts were that of a PAS disc / sensor fault or something dodgy going on inside the controller.
I never got to the bottom of it, opting to return to the Bafang (original 8fun)BBS01 that'd just come up to it's 7000 mile birthday without fault, so I'm afraid I can't help on a definitive diagnosis or remedy.
The display set up and controls on the Yoch were far from intuitive.
For me, no ability to check/adjust controller settings via a Bafang programme cable was a big draw back. I found there was extremely limited information or support available on line or from the company direct.
Despite looking identical in many ways and afaik sharing some internal motor components, it seems it runs a different protocol.
If you find a resolution I'd love to hear how you get on.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
Good explanation, except there's some vital missing information. Is it a BBS01? If so, which display do you have?

Assuming it is a BBS01, I've always used the programming cable and software. I can't relate those parameters to what they are, so I can't help. Can anybody translate them?
so yes the bbso1 rings a definite belle, from when i was trying to resolve it, as for the screen its a D961 if thats of any use.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
so this might be of some help. last time i looked i could not find any info on the screen. apart from it was a d961. but i do have what may be a stupid question. could it be worth while buying a c961 or 965 display

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
so this might be of some help. last time i looked i could not find any info on the screen. apart from it was a d961.
Bafang LCDs are C961 and C965.
There are similarities between your kit and bafang kits but your kit is not a Bafang one.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
so without sounding more thick, is my bbs01 not a bafang motor then. and would a different screen not help. it does sound very much like what
brightonebikes decribed.

so as panda were no help, i'm guessing i'm buggered then. also the disappointment i'm feeling with mid drive compared to rear wheel is because the kits crap. hopefully the 750w i have coming will be beter.
Here you go, excuse the tea stain.
May help you with some settings but not necessarily resolve the underlying issue.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
yes, thats the settings. but also i have to say sorry. when i bought it from panda the picture shows a bbs01, so thats what i thought i had. i just been out and checked and it say MD.M11 250w 36v PDA-MID-MOTOR witch is a YOCH motor

Struck me that the proof reading quality control is perhaps comparable to the quality control of the motor build itself?
It's a crying shame about support too, it gives a bad reflection on other more reputable manufacturers/companies and the industry as a whole.
The lessons learned here are research is key and don't be fooled by clever (or should that be cunning?) marketing.
Here's the page before with control parameters 1 and 2.
Was a hard or digital copy of the user manual not supplied upon purchase?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
yes i had the user manual, but it had no display settings. so not only is it crap and crap support. i didn't even get the item pictured. which may explane why its crap.

It doesn't sound like it was the complete user manual then. Makes it more fun if you have to guess certain parts I guess!
That said, it's fair to say that many Chinglish user manuals need a bit of interpretation.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
i'm emailing Panda Now, as i'm more unhappy that there showing a BBS01 which is what i though i had purchased and ive got a YOGO that wont GO lol

Not sure which 'Panda' you're looking at/bought from, but the one I just found on Google clearly shows M-Drive which shows photos of a branded Yoch motor.
They certainly do looks remarkably like the Bafang BBS01/B motor to the untrained eye though.

Advertisers