Bloomin' War & Peace, that's what this is becoming! I got the bike out today and started working on it. I replaced the rear brake cable and reinstated the rear Avid BB7 disc brake. I then put the rim tape and tyre on the Alfine 8-speed rear wheel and put it in-situ. I put back the chain tensioner and all was set for the Alfine shifter, which I was sure I had put away with the cable and the (vital) shifting nut in one piece - I hadn't! Cue a fevered search that ended up fruitless. So, the bike is ready once I get the cable for the shifter sorted. That's due by the weekend, I hope. I can then try it out. I did notice the On-One Pompertamine front forks lurking in a corner. They might get put on the bike, so I can have the front disc brake too. Far, far better than the v-brake it currently has. By the next instalment, who knows, it might be ready!