PAS Error 01

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
I am fitting a Pedelease conversion kit to a Brompton for a friend. All gone well except that I cannot get the bike to run under pedal assist power. The controller a has a single cable (orange 3 pin female) to fit alternatively the throttle or the PAS. Works fine with throttle. When PAS connected the display (KT LCD5) reports Error 01 and no power to motor. According to the manual this indicates "Throttle Abnormality" but no more information. I have varied the spacing between the motion sensor and the magnets without making any difference. I have just left a phone message with Pedalease, and will email them too. Google and this forum have reference to this problem, but no solution.

thanks in advance

Bill

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I am fitting a Pedelease conversion kit to a Brompton for a friend. All gone well except that I cannot get the bike to run under pedal assist power. The controller a has a single cable (orange 3 pin female) to fit alternatively the throttle or the PAS. Works fine with throttle. When PAS connected the display (KT LCD5) reports Error 01 and no power to motor. According to the manual this indicates "Throttle Abnormality" but no more information. I have varied the spacing between the motion sensor and the magnets without making any difference. I have just left a phone message with Pedalease, and will email them too. Google and this forum have reference to this problem, but no solution.

thanks in advance

Bill
Really guessing, but as far as I am aware, the throttle is simply a variable resistance. So this unit must simulate that. I am guessing that the pins are not polarised correctly.potentiometer 1.jpg
That is in the diagram one of several possibilities:-
1) Pins 1 and 3 are reversed, so the electronics "thinks" you want to go even slower. It starts HIGH or LOW in relation to pin 2, the opposite of what is needed.
2) or 1 and 2 are reversed, or 1 and 3 are reversed.
3) or BOTH 1 and 2 above are your problem.
Measure a throttle resistance with a meter, and see how the resistance changes as you increase speed.
Then ask the company which pin needs to go where to simulate the throttle correctly.
No guarantees, but this may be part of your problems...
I hope you manage to fix it!

Andy

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The throttle and the PAS cannot operate from the same connector. There is another orange(yellow) 3 pin connector on the multi pin lead that the display and brake cut off connect into.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
The throttle and the PAS cannot operate from the same connector. There is another orange(yellow) 3 pin connector on the multi pin lead that the display and brake cut off connect into.
I

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Wheeliepete, You sir are a genius. I had wrongly connected the female on the multiconnector. PAS now operating. thank you.

Reactions: dr bob