PAS - Raleigh Array sensor

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Hi all,

I'm planning on converting my existing bike soon. My family already own a couple of Raleigh Arrays, and we're really impressed by the smoothness and response of the motor control during pedal assist.

Looking at the Arrays, the PAS is actually a small sensor on a bracket which senses the crank chainring. I'm wondering about replicating this setup on my own conversion because it strikes me that the 40-odd teeth on the chainring are bound to give a better signal to the controller than an 8- or 12-pole PAS. Also, it could be easier to fit.

upload_2018-8-24_16-2-2.png

So, a couple of questions:
  1. Does anyone know who the manufacturer of this sensor is, and where I can buy one (for less than the £40 Raleigh appear to charge!
  2. Would KT controllers be compatible with the signal from such a sensor?
Thanks for any thoughts...

David

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It won't work on any controller other than the Raleigh one. Even if it did, it wouldn't be any better than a normal pedal sensor. The best pedal sensors are the cheapo 8 or 10 magnet ones.

Tristan38

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 3, 2019
I've got a Raleigh Array 2016. Using it to commute to work for about a year now. It's been great but this last month a few bits have gone wrong. The display conked out so I took the bike in for a service, got the display replaced along with a few other bike bits, brake and gear cables etc. I would've tried to do this myself but I've been busy with work and moving house so decided to save time and take it to a repair shop.

But now it's doing this thing where it's dropping in and out of power as I cycle.

I like tinkering with bikes to keep them at tip top condition, I think it's the PAS sensor as everything else seems ok, checked wires etc. I'm reluctant to take it back to the bike repair shop as I've already spent 300 pounds this month and I'm starting to wonder if I should just buy a new bike.

Where would you get replacement parts of you wanted to repair it yourself? Seems like certain brands like Raleigh don't really provide spare parts. I can't find anything online. Dunno if you know where to get a spare PAS sensor from?

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
To convert your bike to a standard control system, you'll need to do some wiring, soldering, change connectors, etc. Are you up for that?

Tristan38

Nov 3, 2019
Yes, I have the gear to solder and a voltmeter. I've fixed things that are designed for fixing if you get me, like hair straighteners for the girlfriend.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's pretty straight forward then. First you need to look in that compartment in the front of your battery to find the motor connector/s, then you see whether it's a sensored (3 thick wires and 5 or 6 thin)or sensorless motor (3 thick plus maybe three thin). If there's a connector near the motor, you can pull it apart and count the number of pins.

£300 is ridiculous. How much did they charge for the LCD?

I had to fix hair straighteners for girlfriend too - GHD.

Tristan38

Nov 3, 2019
GHD are great, designed to be fixed!

Ok, I'll start there.

It was 40 for the display, but I had some standard things replaced as well on the bike. Would've cost me alot less had I done it myself, but was just time restricted.

Am I right in thinking is have to replaceee the display, sensor and controller for it all to work together?

Thanks again for the advice.

I'm looking at my pas sensor now, seems the pedal crank has contacted it. It's supposed to have a 1mm clearance, but the silly thing is stretched through the bike stand so keeps getting knocked out. Seems like a bad design to me.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need to check your motor wires first. You will need the controller, LCD, PAS, possibly a speed sensor and optional throttle (recommended).

Tristan38

Nov 3, 2019
So, in trying to open and check my motor wires I've seen that the pas sensor connector has come loose, it came out completely, it has a simple connector on it. Should be easy to reconnect right?

I'm on the last screw trying to open this blasted thing and despite being as careful as possible the darned thing has crumbled.

So now all that stands between me and a fixed bike is a single solitary screw.

They haven't designed these things to be easily fixed have they?

Tristan38

Nov 3, 2019
So this is a picture I took before it started to rain.
I reconnected the pas sensor but it didn't change anything, the bike still pulses.

Can you give me any pointers from this picture?

Thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's a standard Chinese (Ananda) ebike controller used om many popular brands. You need to pull it out and show all the wires. The label just tells us what we already know. the only weird think is the sensor. I've never seen that used with an Ananda controller before. Yours must have special software.

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Hey, did you get anywhere on this?
No, I didn't find a reasonably-priced source for similar sensors.

I bought a standard kit from Yosepower to convert my bike in the end. I'm pleased with the result, but it's not as good as the system on the Raleigh Arrays.