PASS Wiring question

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York
www.simplicityin.training
Everything works on an Ebike I have except the PAS. Looking at the controller the wires are in the order red green yellow. Does this seem to be in the right order, with red the +5V, Green the signal, and Yellow the Ground. ( Controller is a KT36ZWSRT-EP03 )

IMG_1451.jpgIMG_1451.jpg

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
As there is no common colour coding on these components unless bought together from one supplier, you will have to swop wires around to find the right combination. You can prob. take red as +, so try changing the order of the other two.

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York
Thanks for the help, made up a new connector from one with the closest colours, and decided that black is ground, then yellow must be ground on the controller. Plugged it in and waved a magnet near it caused the wheel to spin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Glad to see you used logic and found the correct sequence.
You did presume correctly, sometimes China colour coding/sequence can be all over the place but as a general rule and as you have found 5v/+ can be Brown or Red, Gnd Black or Yellow, any other colour is used for signal.

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York
Glad to see you used logic and found the correct sequence.
You did presume correctly, sometimes China colour coding/sequence can be all over the place but as a general rule and as you have found 5v/+ can be Brown or Red, Gnd Black or Yellow, any other colour is used for signal.
Hi Neal, Yorkshire Tea, and logic in the end wins the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yorkshire is also my preferred brew.
Often wire sequence/pin outs need re-arranging and is the bit that flummoxes some also some peripheral wiring connectors come loose for the user to select correct sequence, a good idea with sm connectors.

jegthepeg

Just Joined
Jun 4, 2019
I connected my 250w controller up as all the plugs were designed to be idiot proof in that they had unique male/female connectors on .I had to buy a new PAS sensor and luckily it came fitted with a plug compatible with the controller wire, however I accidentally pulled the plug of leaving 3 wires that do not correspond to the 3 colours in the wire from controller. How do I re-wire the plug? Photo 1 shows 3 wires from sensor, no.2 shows the black pug from controller.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
These are the connectors that you cab get from Ebay.

You have a choice on how to fix it. You can buy the connector block and pins, then use thin pliers to crimp the pins to the wires and insert into the block. It's a bit fiddly, but that's what I normally do. After a lot of practice, I can get good crimps.

Alternatively, you can buy the connector with the leads already attached, cut the leads a couple of inches from the connector, then solder the wires together and insulate with thin heat-shrink tube. That's what I do when I'm in a hurry.

Finally, this is how I do it on my own bikes. cut off the connectors, solder the wires together and insulate with heat-shrink tube. That's the cheapest, quickest and most reliable way to do it. In all probability, you'll never want or need to separate the wires again, but in the unlikely circumstances that you did, it takes one second to cut them, which is quicker than disconnecting, then you can resolder them to reconnect.

Whatever solution you use, the colours go brown to red, black to black and yellow to white.