Pedal fallen off (Bosch motor)

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
My pedal and arm fell off my Cube Reaction Race ebike today whilst cycling to work.

I managed to retrieve it but the nut or whatever holds it on is missing. All I’m left with is the pedal assembly and the exposed splined shaft of the crank in the motor.

What part would I need to fit it back on, and what tool would I need please?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a crank bolt that you tighten with a normal allen key. I'm not sure of the size of the thread on that one, but any cycle shop should be able to remove the one on the other side to compare and replace. Try Halfords if you have one nearby. they're normally pretty good with help when you're broken down.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks

I pass the shop I bought the bike from on my cycle home, albeit I shall have to push the bike to them!

Im just hoping that the splined shaft hasn’t worn.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is where a throttle enabled bike comes in handy in a get you out of trouble scenario.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Common problem; let me guess tis the left hand pedal/arm.

happened a lot with my panasonic motor Giants etc too. It;s because the anticlockwise motion of the left side is always potentially 'trying to undo' itself.
Solution is to tighten crank bolt blooming hard perhaps with a drop of superglue on the bolt [clean wi meths first].
Helps to have a tightening tool with you as you will feel a 'give' and waggle for a mile or two before it drops off in the road with a clang. Nothing then to stop the fixing bolt disappearing though mine crank arms are fixed wi nuts under a plastic cover so at least they don't go walkabout

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Took the bike back to the shop I bought it from today, they have ordered a crank bolt for me to collect next week. Im not confident of getting it free of charge, I got the impression I would have to pay for it despite the bike being only 4 months old. Ive no idea how much it will cost, but I would have thought they would replace it free for me a a gesture. I shall wait and see.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Correct, it is the left one.
When the first Bosch equipped bikes were released, the left hand crank arm falling off was their first reported problem for many owners.

I too suffered this for a while on a Giant's Panasonic unit until I used a crazy torque force when tightening.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Sounds like its something Im going to have to be checking each week then. Guy in the shop suggested it might need torquing to 42Nm

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
cant say i have ever had a crank come off tho and stupid force is not required on the crank bolt.
It is on some of these crank motor units, as you see from the two reports above of this on the Giant Panasonic units and very many cases on the Bosch units.

Because it is just on the crank motor units and not common on ordinary bikes as you say, I suspect the makers haven't appreciated the precision necessary in the pedal shaft manufacture to ensure stable crank arm seating.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It is on some of these crank motor units, as you see from the two reports above of this on the Giant Panasonic units and very many cases on the Bosch units.

Because it is just on the crank motor units and not common on ordinary bikes as you say, I suspect the makers haven't appreciated the precision necessary in the pedal shaft manufacture to ensure stable crank arm seating.
maybe buy some better fitting cranks then? not had any problems with my xduro ones and my miranda carbon cranks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
maybe buy some better fitting cranks then? not had any problems with my xduro ones and my miranda carbon cranks.
Maybe, but it could be the pedal shaft that's more at fault than the crank arms. The motor unit makers are making or having made their special pedalshafts, something they haven't been familiar with doing, but no doubt they buy in the crank arms from standard supplies so they should be ok.

D

Deleted member 4366

If the bike is under warranty, the crank-bolt should be covered as there's nothing the customer can do to make it fall off and it's not a wearing or service part.

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n and flecc

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
If the bike is under warranty, the crank-bolt should be covered as there's nothing the customer can do to make it fall off and it's not a wearing or service part.
Thats what I think as well.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Managed to acquire a new crank bolt today. Took my bike to a different branch of the shop whom I bought it from, they didn't have one in stock so ordered one in for me.

Rang a different branch who had one in stock, but was told it was not covered by warranty and would cost me £6. Went to pick it up and took my pedal and arm, but turned out I needed a different bolt which they didnt have, but one of the workshop lads took one off a display bike and gave it to me free. To torque this correctly I've ordered a set of allen key sockets for my 1/2" torque wrench. It's going to be something I check now on a regular basis.

They told me its an ISIS crank bolt, but looking online I'm not so sure it is, looks more like a TruVativ bolt. Heres mine...

Last edited:

Advertisers