Pedalling resistance

Pmc1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2018
Wirral
I have recently converted two mtbs using bbs01s and my wife and I are really enjoying riding them.
So far we've covered 500 miles up and down hill with no problems (touch wood).
However, both bikes are nearly impossible to pedal with the power turned off.
There seems to be a large amount of resistance from the motors - a bit like pedalling an exercise bike.
The bikes are mechanically sound, no sticking brakes, etc.
We are both experienced cyclists coming from many years riding mtbs.
Is this a characteristic of bafang mid drive motors or is something amiss?
I'd hate to run out of battery power even a mile from home, the resistance is that bad!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Phil

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What you are feeling is normal, the affect is the chainwheel engaging the drives smaller internal gearing which makes unpowered riding harder. You will know you have had a work out if you run out of battery.

Reactions: Pmc1

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Remove the chain and turn the cranks, that will give you an easy estimate of how much extra power is needed to turn the internal gear without power. It should be easy to turn without more effort than lifting an empty dinner plate.

This video is made with the GSM, the BBS01 is slightly stickier but not by much:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pmc1

Pmc1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2018
Wirral
Thanks for the replies.
I put the bikes on a stand and twirled the cranks without the chain, they spun fairly easily by hand.
With the chain there was a noticeable increase in resistance so I cleaned and oiled the chain, cassette and derailleur.
Took both bikes for a spin without their batteries and with a more positive attitude and they still exhibited some resistance but maybe not quite as much as before.
Maybe as an ex mtber I just need to get used to pedalling with a 46t chainring! :)

Advertisers