Pedego bike query

optimistic12

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2012
Hi all, I am looking at a Pedego electric bike at the moment, second hand, with very little work done.
It is a 6 gear US import (brought here by US citizens who moved last year).
It has 6 gears and a 500 watt motor, not sure of battery size yet. From what I can understand the US built bikes are gearless motors, while the European versions are geared.The European versions are 350 watt. Is this a significant difference and something to be concerned about?
If I was to buy the US built, does anyone know if there would be issues with motor, battery etc when needed to be replaced?

Thanks a heap for any comments given.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I suppose a key issue for you to be aware of / consider is the legality

250w is the max for ebikes in uk so a 500w would require license, insurance and numberplates (basically considered a moped in eyes of law)

if

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
oops pulled the trigger early

If you don't mind the above then the dealer netowrk in UK (which is not at all extensive) can prob get you replacement parts. Best of contacting them direct though to confirm as it may end up being not cost effective albeit possible

Pedego Europe - Find a dealer

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Pedego Europe also seem to sell the direct drive (ungeared) version with 500 watt motor. They specify as for off-road use and stress that it's road illegal this side of the big pond. So the spares shouldn't be a problem, but the legality is. Fuller details on their European website:

Pedego Europe

optimistic12

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2012
oops. wow, hadn't been thinking of the legality of it all.Getting a number plate for a bike. No thanks.Had been looking at the value of buying an almost new bike for a pretty significant discount and having the extra power to have me zipping along. Thanks for opening and alerting me to this side.