pedelecmonitor - mileage and repairs statistics

redalexx

Pedelecer
Hello,

due to the high failure rate for the impulse2 motors, and the fact, that I had my 5th motor, I first listet all failures of other forum members (german, english, french) in a google table.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQ6DqHS4uXCNybjnlXZD3dOU_ylw5Qwsc0_89coCsF0/edit#gid=0

Now I startet a new project to show and compare the reliability of the different middrive systems. I uploaded my new webpage www.pedelecmonitor.de this week and hope, lots of people will help and send their mileage and repairs.

Sorry in advance, i only installed the google website translator for the english and the french people. Hope the information in the text, and charts is clear and you understand everything.

The idea:
Register your bike, so that I know what type and since when you ride it.
Send your mileage with date either weekly, monthly, whenenver ...
Send your repairs with the date and the mileage and additional infos to the failure, if you know.

Thats it.
Monthly I will generate the statistics. And I hope we will reach a kumulative mileage of more than 100.000 mls this year.

I want it to keep as simple as possible, just kilometers, dates and failures via email or contact form. No personal information!

And I promise, i will also scale it in miles next month!

ALEX

Current status: "your mileage per motor in kilometer" 2016-11-28_Datensatzsicht_Kilometer_pro_Motor.png

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
My problem with the site is understanding it! Its clearly written in German and auto translated to English. This leaves sentences that make no sense in English. For example "
How many kilometers will my mid-engine vauraussichtlich and there are problems with this system?"
Now I can separately find out that vauraussichtlich means approximately and insert this in the sentence, but it still makes little sense in English, so I assume it means something like "How far will my mid engined ebike go before the motor needs replacing" but its very hard reading something that needs this amount of work doing to understand each sentence. The graph titles are in German with no attempt at translating.

My wife and I each have bikes with Impulse 2 motors that have not yet failed - do you wish information about these to be included or just those that have failed?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: redalexx

redalexx

Pedelecer
Hello @4bound ,

i wish all your information included, the working and the failed impulse2 units. I try to show the complete situation, not only failing units.

The website is online since 3 weeks, I have not really thought about an english version, but it is necessary. I started to include all information in english.

the charts will be available in miles with english titles. I have to change my complete excel concept, sorry that will take some time. I hope I will finish my work till end of December.

Thanks for your review! The pdf will be also in english - hope already next week.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its 2016 its 4 years out of date ;)

redalexx

Pedelecer
More than 340.000 kilometer or 200.000 miles motor experience are basis for the DECEMBER statistics.

Meanwhile there were also some motor damages reported concerning the BOSCH Classic and the Performance. The Impulse2 ist still bad. First pedelecs registered with Shimano Steps and ImpulseEVO.

For more statistics go to www.pedelecmonitor.de.

Show your mileage to generate a real customer based mileage distribution for your motor system!

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
More than 340.000 kilometer or 200.000 miles motor experience are basis for the DECEMBER statistics.

Meanwhile there were also some motor damages reported concerning the BOSCH Classic and the Performance. The Impulse2 ist still bad. First pedelecs registered with Shimano Steps and ImpulseEVO.

Show your mileage to generate a real customer based mileage distribution for your motor system!
Thanks for posting this.

It is very interesting, and a good idea. But like one or two others here, I'm having some trouble understanding the data as it is presented.

As raw data, I would be interested in seeing:

Actual number of failures per month, per motor model.
The mileage before each failure.
An aggregate score of running vs. failed motors each month.

It might just be my lack of statistic knowledge, something being lost in translation or general stupidity on my part, but I'm struggling to grasp what I am reading!

Again though, thanks very much for putting effort into the site.

redalexx

Pedelecer
More than 400.000 kilometer or 250.000 miles motor experience are basis for the JANUARY statistics.

The first registered Bosch CX members have now nearly 2.000mi, until now there was no motor failore or damage. There are new members with the Panasonic motor and the Impulse1.0 with really high mileage. So the Impulse1.0 hass a better durability than the fisrt Impulse2.0.

Alex

Edit:
I also implemented
- mid-drives BAFANG and TRANZX
- hub-drives BIONX, BAFANG, CUTE, KEYDE, TRANZX, NEODRIVE, PUMA

Last edited:
Reactions: Will Tinker

redalexx

Pedelecer
Nearly 900.000 kilometer or 550.000 miles motor experience are basis for the APRIL statistics.

There is still no motor damage for the Bosch CX. Also the Performance shows a good reliabilty. On the other side, there are again more damaged units from the Impulse1.0 and 2.0.

New members from Canada and the US show their mileage for their hub drives. Seems to be more popular over there.

For more statistics go to www.pedelecmonitor.de. or jump to the english overview https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/mittelmotoren/

Alex

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a bit of a shame really, that people with broken Bosch motors don't provide the info. There's been a few members that have reported issues over the years. recent ones were Monoblock, who said his died and Steve A had some unspecified issues. If you started a specific list for Bosch, you might get more participation, but I suspect, that they don't really want to talk about it when the nice slick Bosch dealer repair system looks after them.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's a bit of a shame really, that people with broken Bosch motors don't provide the info. There's been a few members that have reported issues over the years. recent ones were Monoblock, who said his died and Steve A had some unspecified issues. If you started a specific list for Bosch, you might get more participation, but I suspect, that they don't really want to talk about it when the nice slick Bosch dealer repair system looks after them.
..... And this is a bad thing? If Bosch has a slick repair system in operation with satisfied consumers , should that not be a cause for celebration? Most users are interested in riding bikes not repairing them.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I'll certainly provide any developments on mine.

Hoping though it'll last 2 years, by which point I may just sell it and buy another (since it seems clear to me that eBikes do have a more limited lifespan than most modes of transport).

D

Deleted member 4366

..... And this is a bad thing? If Bosch has a slick repair system in operation with satisfied consumers , should that not be a cause for celebration? Most users are interested in riding bikes not repairing them.
It's best to have all the facts, then you can make the correct decision.

• Agree

redalexx

Pedelecer
It's a bit of a shame really, that people with broken Bosch motors don't provide the info.
Here around Stuttgart there are just a few with failures, most cases are broken gear wheels with the classic.

There's been a few members that have reported issues over the years.
The thing is, I'm still using a german website. Although I use simple words and grammar, google translator sometimes build sentences with no sense! Maybe more people would join if
  • I change the language to english or build an english version
  • there would be user accounts where users can manage their data itself and delete and add and correct ...
  • the given information is introduced in the charts shortly after new membership or mileage is given
The Pedelecmonitor is a hobby, I'm interested in comparing the mileage of the systems in the simpliest and cheapest way. I'm happy about every person that is joining, nobody has to proof his data.

It's best to have all the facts, then you can make the correct decision.
Keep it simple, just mileage and failures. The mean or median should be ok for comparing. If I use all the facts, e.g. usage (heavy/weak), assistance grade (mostly POWER/TURBO or mostly ECO) and weight of bike and driver then nobody would join because its to complex. YES there are different usages, YES the weight has a really big influence on life time, YES also the wether has an effect but the usage of mean or meridian should reduce those influences.

redalexx

Pedelecer
Over 1.000.000 kilometer or 650.000 miles motor experience are basis for the JUNE statistics.

The first registered damage in a Bosch CX occured. In the germen Pedelecforum I started a monitoring for the newer Impulse2.2 with changes in construction and software compared to the 2.0.

For more statistics go to www.pedelecmonitor.de. or jump to the english overview https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/mittelmotoren/

Alex

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm sure that we've had at least one of our forum members that needed a new CX motor. Fish2 had a problem and so did SteveA, but i don't know if either had replacement motors. That makes probably 3 in the last couple of months.

• Informative

redalexx

Pedelecer
Thanks for your info. In relation to the working CX motors here in the forum, it is not that much.

So I have 1 failed unit out of 25 in the pedelecmonitor. I think in reality the motors are much better. But an estimation w/o data is really difficult and nobody would accept, right?

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So I have 1 failed unit out of 25 in the pedelecmonitor. I think in reality the motors are much better. But an estimation w/o data is really difficult and nobody would accept, right?
I think 1 out of 25 is fair in view of the mileage reported. The damaged units are usually repairable.

• Agree

redalexx

Pedelecer
About 1.200.000 kilometers or 790.000 miles are the base for the JULY-statistics.

28 new failures were mailed in July, :eek:. They occured at Albers Neodrive, Bafang, Bosch, Impulse and Puma.

Jump to english start-page! https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/mittelmotoren/

Directlinks zu Bosch, Yamaha und Impulse:
https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/mittelmotoren/mittelmotoren-2/bosch-mittelmotoren/
https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/mittelmotoren/mittelmotoren-2/yamaha-mittelmotoren/
https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/mittelmotoren/mittelmotoren-2/impulse/

All motor failures / damages are summarized in an own blog-article (just german, but google translator on the top right implemented)

KLICK

EDIT:
Current mileage overview added.

ALEX

Last edited: