Pedelecs - Read Terms and Conditions of Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 4366

It's impossible to help some people. I can see why you're in this mess.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It's impossible to help some people. I can see why you're in this mess.
I agree, but the OP said money means nothing to him and he has lots of it, so he doesn't need any help.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Let's not forget that there are 2 sides to every story.

I myself bought an 18 month old motorhome from a well known dealer who's website clearly stated that the customer came first, I had a problem with the heater which turned out to be a well documented fault.

Three or four emails and a letter, to the person who I had dealt with, who turned out to be the owners wife, went ignored. I finally got through to the workshop and the engineer told me that he had been informed that this vehicle was sold as seen and that they could do nothing.....a totally illegal tactic.

I sent a letter to the MD, informing them they had 7 days to respond before I placed the matter in the small claims court, this resulted in a phone call from a guy claiming to be the finance director which in turn resulted in the faulty heater being changed.

I would never in a million years have thought that the company I had dealt with would try to cheat me for the sake of a £100 heater......just goes to show, you never can tell.

....and just who decided that it was against the rules of forum etiquette, to use the given name of the person to whom one is talking, If it is then I apologise to all the members I've insulted by so doing :)

.....Mike

BrianC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2013
I agree, but the OP said money means nothing to him and he has lots of it, so he doesn't need any help.
The only response I made was "Money is no object to me" when I was told about all the expenses I would have to incur to take my complaint to Court.I was being coerced by Kudos.Please read my reply to Dave Elderfield.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
An engineer is a trained and qualified mechanic.
That's a typically mistaken English view Brian. The most qualified engineers often don't work with mechanics tools and the scope of engineering knowledge and practice extends far beyond the mechanic's realm.

In that bastion of engineering, Germany, engineers often have the title of Doctor.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

How does your curiosity help anyone?

An engineer is a trained and qualified mechanic.
I've seen two motors before oozing brown stuff from them, which I believe is what happened to yours. Neither of the other two were anything to do with over-heating.

You get engineers and oily rags. Mechanics are not engineers.

Last edited by a moderator:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I've seen two motors before oozing brown stuff from them, which I believe is what happened to yours. Neither of the other two were anything to do with over-heating.
what was the brown stuff (RUST + GREASE? water getting through the motor axle?) and what caused it to come out? can't help being curious, sorry.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

what was the brown stuff (RUST + GREASE? water getting through the motor axle?) and what caused it to come out? can't help being curious, sorry.
Correct. You're definitely not in the oily rag category.

BrianC

Sep 8, 2013
That's a typically mistaken English view Brian. The most qualified engineers often don't work with mechanics tools and the scope of engineering knowledge and practice extends far beyond the mechanic's realm.

In that bastion of engineering, Germany, engineers often have the title of Doctor.
Thanks for that. I'd better take my S-Pedelec to the Doctor's.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I would just like to point out that all bikes be it kids bikes, mountain bikes, ebikes, road bikes will use the same standard sized bb. Each time he posts that it is "a bb like found in a kids bike" a part of me just chuckles as any bike mechanic or just anyone who could service one will know that they are all the same sizes(ISO ftw).

Just so you know the 26 inch wheels have the same 26 inches found on 26 inch wheel kids bikes, them valves be it schrader or presta will be the same as on kids bikes that use the same valves, the stem more than likely uses the standard 25.4mm clamp and 1 1/8 steer which I guess would be on kids bikes too, the chain will definately be the same 7.3mm links as on any kids bikes with gears. Pretty much all the parts will be to ISO standards which all bikes use.

Keep posting tho as some of this stuff is just pure gold.

BrianC

Sep 8, 2013
I would just like to point out that all bikes be it kids bikes, mountain bikes, ebikes, road bikes will use the same standard sized bb. Each time he posts that it is "a bb like found in a kids bike" a part of me just chuckles as any bike mechanic or just anyone who could service one will know that they are all the same sizes(ISO ftw).

Just so you know the 26 inch wheels have the same 26 inches found on 26 inch wheel kids bikes, them valves be it schrader or presta will be the same as on kids bikes that use the same valves, the stem more than likely uses the standard 25.4mm clamp and 1 1/8 steer which I guess would be on kids bikes too, the chain will definately be the same 7.3mm links as on any kids bikes with gears. Pretty much all the parts will be to ISO standards which all bikes use.

Keep posting tho as some of this stuff is just pure gold.
We are not talking about size, it is the low quality of the BB.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
We are not talking about size, it is the low quality of the BB.
You don't seem to want to offer up a model number or even a bike model so I'm not given anything to put your opinion against.

From the kudos range as it is on the site now I can see they use a standard shimano square taper BB, they aren't anything special but they are currently fitted in about 50% of the bikes sold in the UK and have been for about 10 years if not more. It has sort of proven it is fit for purpose by being the industry standard.

Sorry if I'm missing your point but you seem to have a very uninformed "expert".

BrianC

Sep 8, 2013
You don't seem to want to offer up a model number or even a bike model so I'm not given anything to put your opinion against.

From the kudos range as it is on the site now I can see they use a standard shimano square taper BB, they aren't anything special but they are currently fitted in about 50% of the bikes sold in the UK and have been for about 10 years if not more. It has sort of proven it is fit for purpose by being the industry standard.

Sorry if I'm missing your point but you seem to have a very uninformed "expert".
If you read the whole thread you will get the information you need and see that I do not have an 'expert'. It was the opinion of a Kudos agent wanting to sell me a Shimano BB for the one he considered of poor quality originally fitted to the Kudos Sports ebike.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
If you read the whole thread you will get the information you need and see that I do not have an 'expert'. It was the opinion of a Kudos agent wanting to sell me a Shimano BB for the one he considered of poor quality originally fitted to the Kudos Sports ebike.
Kudos have already stated pages before that they felt the BB was in poor condition. Even the best quality parts will give bad preformance if they are in poor condition from having them badly maintained. You haven't really given any information on the "bad" BB, given the bike has shimano gears, chain and crankset I would guess it's another shimano BB.

Either way a BB should cost about the same as a tyre or a set of brake pads, the job needs a couple of BB only bike tools for swapping them so can have a hefty fitting fee at most bike shops but it would appear kudos previously offered to or have ignored that for you already.

I have to be honest that I can see from the topic you have gone in all guns blazing at them over a few minor issues that are fixed with less than an hour of a bike mechanics time and less than £20 of parts if you shop about(BB - £8, solder blobs/lights - 10p/£5, stem - £5), so you have burned bridges with all the kudos staff you came across for very little and then kicked up more of a fuss and demanded a full refund on not 1 but 2 ebikes before coming here to vent/slate about it.

Prices mentioned are the ones on chainreaction, halfords and wiggle(cheap shops I use). I have no idea if they are the exact same parts offered by kudos and prices obviously vary but they are what I have fitted to bikes in the past as I tend to fit whatever will last ages but is cheap as I'm not much of a brand name sucker.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Come on Brian, shoot back! I'm getting to love the latest instalment on this thread.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
quite a lot of bikes are still fitted with cups and bearings bottom brackets - perfectly functional but can get loosened quite quickly, requiring maintenance more often.
My guess is that the LBS seeing one of those, promptly suggested replacing with a sealed cartridge type. A new sealed cartridge BB costs £6 on ebay, genuine Shimano for £7 from Chain Reaction Cycles and takes 20 minutes to fit.
It's one of those things that make people wanting to buy a more expensive bike to avoid niggling subjects like this.

however, the OP is unreasonable to expect a free upgrade.

Last edited:

BrianC

Sep 8, 2013
quite a lot of bikes are still fitted with cups and bearings bottom brackets - perfectly functional but can get loosened quite quickly, requiring maintenance more often.
My guess is that the LBS seeing one of those, promptly suggested replacing with a sealed cartridge type. A new sealed cartridge BB costs £6 on ebay, genuine Shimano for £7 from Chain Reaction Cycles and takes 20 minutes to fit.
It's one of those things that make people wanting to buy a more expensive bike to avoid niggling subjects like this.

however, the OP is unreasonable to expect a free upgrade.
The bikes are fitted with cups and bearing bottom brackets not Shimano. The dealer suggested fitting a Shimano cartridge bearing for £42. I did NOT expect an upgrade from Kudos but felt they did not live up to the 'top quality' and 'Shimano gearing' billing.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
instead of blaming kudos, you could have blamed the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.