phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
Mines is....
Cogs....No it's gears or sprockets.

When people say numbers eg..
0800 591 460
It's a Zero as that is a number, it's not an O because that's a letter.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Zero isn't a number either. Its the null set, nothing, a place value holder...being pedantic of course.
Oh, and it should be " mine is".
Mines are underground workings,tunnels etc..

My pet hate ...I don't like pedants.

• :D
Reactions: Gaz and Jimod

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Zero isn't a number either. Its the null set, nothing, a place value holder...being pedantic of course.
Oh, and it should be " mine is".
Mines are underground workings,tunnels etc..

My pet hate ...I don't like pedants.
Not sure if I should write '0' or 'Oh!' to that one?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Fair point. Its debatable.
That would be "It is debatable" or "It's debatable".

And for the OP: I don't hate pets, but I am not a huge fan either.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
"In Science, we do things a bit differently. The burden of proof falls upon the proponent to define the word number and to justify
that zero falls within this category. It is the mathematicians who have to justify that zero is a number before making it a law by
decree and not the other way around. If zero is not a number there is no reason for the mathematicians to insist on this
ludicrous proposal so late in the history of Man. The burden falls on the mathematicians to define the word number
unambiguously. Then we will know for sure whether zero is a number or not. The symbol zero will either fit the description
or not. Until the mathematicians can do this there is no reason to regard zero as a number."

Don't believe everything on Wiki...

If it were a number you could divide by it. You cant.It isn't.

• Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When people say numbers eg..
0800 591 460
It's a Zero as that is a number, it's not an O because that's a letter.
Instead of O or zero, let's just say it's nought. :)

My pet hates? How long have you got?

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan
D

Deleted member 4366

Although zero might not be a number on its own, Four zero (40) is a number, and so is one zero eight (108), so we can amend the statement in OP, to "It's a Zero as that is a part of number, it's not an O because that's a letter."
Now we can go back to hating those guys - ugh!

My pet hates:
  • People that eat their food without shutting their mouth after food is inserted.
  • Selfish people.
  • Bullies
  • People at the Supermarket checkout, who don't get their money/coupons ready before they get to the point where they have to pay. They always look like it's a surprise that they have to pay.
  • Energy saving light-bulbs. They were invented by the devil to cast us all into darkness.
  • The smell and taste of liver. It brings a violent physical reaction to my guts every time. Nothing worse than going out for a meal with friends, when one of them decides on the liver. I literally have to sit the other side of the restaurant
  • Fleas. Occasionally, my cats get them. If you get bitten, it's going to itch for a week - longer if you scratch it. Why did god invent fleas and mosquitoes?

Advertisers