Photography on your bike

Muddy

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
so far I’ve taken a few snaps on the iPhone 7 ( pretty decent camera) on my travels but have seen a few things along the way I wish I had more kit with me
My usual wander about set up would be the Nikon D750 and 24/70, with an old d700 and a d90 used for work or grubby stuff with a 50 mm lens
Just wondering if any of you take kit for photos and how/ what you take with you
I don’t have a rack or panniers yet but intend fitting some but will probably take the older bodies and cheaper/ lighter lens and just accept their limitations

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Hi Muddy, carrying kit is the biggest problem I've encountered so far during my short time with the bike. I do have rear rack and that's very useful for tying my back-pack on to the bike, I try to take as much as possible but I often have to prioritise which means I usually have to leave something behind.
I use a bridge camera so I don't have the problem of carrying extra lenses, but the tripod tends to get left at home. I use a Panasonic Lumix fz1000 which covers my needs very well, 25-400mm zoom and video if I feel like it.
Hope you get sorted before the good weather runs out, cheers, daveT

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hi Muddy, carrying kit is the biggest problem I've encountered so far during my short time with the bike. I do have rear rack and that's very useful for tying my back-pack on to the bike, I try to take as much as possible but I often have to prioritise which means I usually have to leave something behind.
I use a bridge camera so I don't have the problem of carrying extra lenses, but the tripod tends to get left at home. I use a Panasonic Lumix fz1000 which covers my needs very well, 25-400mm zoom and video if I feel like it.
Hope you get sorted before the good weather runs out, cheers, daveT
Is there any existing tripod mount which can attach to a bike frame or handlebars, or whatever? Strikes me that a bike could be viewed as a tripod (or bipod, I suppose) with wheels.

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Is there any existing tripod mount which can attach to a bike frame or handlebars, or whatever? Strikes me that a bike could be viewed as a tripod (or bipod, I suppose) with wheels.
Good thinking oyster, I've thought the same thing many times. The best I've come up with so far is to use the monopod that's part of the tripod and clamp it to the bike frame somehow.

Reactions: oyster

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Hanglider pilots have similar problems and there are some great brackets that allow you to strap a balljointed 1/4 inch screw to a bar using elasticated velcro.
https://flybubble.com/flymaster-tas-hang-glider-bracket
Also consider the RAM mount system - expensive but used by a lot of motorcyclists.
In terms of cameras I used to carry lots of DSLR stuff around on my motorbike but once I discoverd the Sony RX 100 series of cameras it made a huge difference to portability with hardly any sacrifice in quality. The only thing I really miss is that I used to concentrate on long telephoto work and that is impossible with the Sony of course.
Mike

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hanglider pilots have similar problems and there are some great brackets that allow you to strap a balljointed 1/4 inch screw to a bar using elasticated velcro.
https://flybubble.com/flymaster-tas-hang-glider-bracket
Also consider the RAM mount system - expensive but used by a lot of motorcyclists.
In terms of cameras I used to carry lots of DSLR stuff around on my motorbike but once I discoverd the Sony RX 100 series of cameras it made a huge difference to portability with hardly any sacrifice in quality. The only thing I really miss is that I used to concentrate on long telephoto work and that is impossible with the Sony of course.
Mike
Maybe: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/201013278478-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Thanks for the links fellas, seeing those reminded me that when I bought a D-lock it was too big to carry around because it was too big to fit on the frame.
I use the lock itself to lock the bike to an anchor fitted to the garage wall but I never had a use for the bracket supplied........... until now, I'm going to try this later, the bracket secures the tripod leg and is also secured to the frame, it may be at a silly angle but that is overcome by the universal head of the tripod. Worth a bash.
P1190375.JPG P1190376.JPG

Reactions: oyster and Muddy

Muddy

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
I never thought of using the bike as a tripod but makes perfect sense. A wee gorilla pod would be handy and easy to throw in a bag and attach the body to the bike
My bike is in the shop awaiting a carrier fitting and a brake repair, so will have to get some panniers sortd to see what works. Perfect timing as I look out the window at the continuing torrential rain. It makes missing the bike bearable

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
What are you taking photos of on a ride that requires the use a tripod?

Fair question. Thing is sometimes the ride is just a means to get to a desired location, where perhaps there's some beautiful scenery or landscapes, and for me a tripod is always preferred for landscape photography.

Muddy

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
What are you taking photos of on a ride that requires the use a tripod?

Same as I use a tripod for any photos. Could be simple stuff like people or traffic for effect if visiting somewhere nice, could be a waterfall, the beach, a loch. In short, anything that needs a long exposure, maybe due to poor light, maybe just because I want to have smooth water or skies and play with a nd filter
Hard to have a definitive answer, I suppose it depends what I come across on my travels.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I was puzzled by the desire to use a cycle to mount any form of stabilising device. To me it sounds like it could be too much hassle trying to position the bike in the desired spot and height, to make it worth considering.

Other than lunar shots I rarely require the need to stabilise, but do carry along a mini telescopic fishing rod stand for the purpose.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
yes, I have one. Except I can't remember the make or model at the moment.
Leisure lakes were selling them some months ago.
It was a fairly normal handlebar clamp, but the thing I liked was that it came with a removable/quick release dovetail type camera plate.
So they are out there!

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Nikon D750 and 24/70,
New or old type lens?
Personally, I would be wary of taking Nikon VR lenses on a bumpy bike for any distances!

I find for photography bike kit, m43 is usually a good compromise. My current superlightweight but still excellent quality setup is a GX7 with the 12-32 pancake lens. I might also pack a small light telephoto as well if I think I'll need it.

edit - The reason I like the GX7/12-32 setup is that if I'm out for a longish jolly, this combined with a powerbank and my phone and wallet fits into one of those compact toptube bags with a clear lid so I can get directions via a mapping app. I found that when I had a camera in a rucksack or rear carrier, I often couldn't be bothered to stop and take a picture unless it was a REALLY important/serious photo. When its in the top tube bag and easily accessible, I take far more photos!

Last edited:

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I usually take along my ancient Sony RX100 MK1, I've had it since it was first launched so quite old now, but it's still decent for a compact camera in reasonably good light. I don't like to take my proper gear along unless i'm specifically going out to take photos, then it'll usually be some M43 kit or Sony A7 a couple of lenses.

Advertisers