Pine martens. An unusual use for e MTB?

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
Bit of a weird thread to start I know but I thought it might be of interest. I live in mid Wales and have spent years looking for a possibly extinct (in Wales) pine marten. That's kind of how I ended on this forum and also how come I've now done hundreds of miles on my DIY hub conversion MTB. So here is a video of what I use it for and a short bit of the bike!
Alex

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
on the same lines, I often find that the more timid wildlife such as Deer, Herons, Kingfishers etc, that I come across are less likely to bolt and allow me to get much closer on my e-bike than if I were walking. Its as though they dont see me as a threat when cycling..

• Agree
Reactions: D C and LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
on the same lines, I often find that the more timid wildlife such as Deer, Herons, Kingfishers etc, that I come across are less likely to bolt and allow me to get much closer on my e-bike than if I were walking. Its as though they dont see me as a threat when cycling..
Indeed. On one occasion on a local lane I had a pair of muntjak deer trotting alongside me completely unconcerned as a I cycled along. If I'd been on foot they would have been seen for dust.

That was on a normal bike, my slight hub motor whine does upset some wildlike. Riding past a few trees locally where pigeons roost each early afternoon, if on the e-bike they immediately take off and fly away.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
Thanks all. The e bike is great for getting to quiet places and doing my filming. The bike is an old Scott I picked up for around £100 then I added a 350w rear hub. I started off with a bottle battery which was good but riding it was too much fun so I have upgraded to an eclipse 17ah battery.
I added the stickers to the battery to complete the look and because inside I'm still 14.
. Alex

Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Good stuff, and you have a bit of a story to tell.

It's the type of thing I imagine the BBC would use in one their seasonal wildlife watch series.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brilliant Alex a lucky lad to be able to film them.
Subscribed.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Thanks all. The e bike is great for getting to quiet places and doing my filming. The bike is an old Scott I picked up for around £100 then I added a 350w rear hub. I started off with a bottle battery which was good but riding it was too much fun so I have upgraded to an eclipse 17ah battery.
I added the stickers to the battery to complete the look and because inside I'm still 14.
. Alex
If you want a near silent motor, try a Q100 or Q128.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Related Articles

Advertisers