PLEASE HELP! Powabyke rebuild 200w motor

Tyrone Williams

Just Joined
Jul 12, 2017
Port Talbot, UK
Hi, I bought a 24 speed Euro Commuter about three years ago, and it developed a few faults. Good battery (three 12v matched 15aH less than a year old) and all pretty much fine. Throttle became intermittent, and I eventually had to fit a momentary switch from throttle sensor to earth to get me out of tricky situations where the throttle died. I use the bike with a little gentle pedalling, as I am a not very well 64 year old. Controller just completely died, and I looked for the cheapest way to replace throttle and controller, and found a set of both from eBay which had matching throttle and controller. I have a 200w motor at 36v, and this controller is 36v, 800w.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401459952962

I have ordered it, though it will take some time to arrive from Hong Kong.

I weigh just under 100kg and am hoping this will work under load without any hassle. The other controller was 20 amps and this is the spec. for the one I just ordered. I was thinking of putting a 30 amp fuse in. I tested the motor (it's brushed, so it's okay to do so) with direct power (carefully, it sparks a bit) at 39.1v and it works fine, so I can be certain the controller/throttle are down.

Matching motor: DC brushed motor
Motor brush controller for Electric bicycle & scooter
Rated voltage: DC 36 V
Rated power: 800 W
Under Voltage Protection: 31.5V +/- 0.5V
Size: L:86mm/3.4" x W:66mm/2.6" x H: 38mm/1.5"
Speed Regulator 1- 4 V(Throttle )
Current Limit: 28A ± 1A Short Voltage
Match Motor: 36V 500W

I am really hoping this will work fine, as I have little to no money, and this bike allows me some freedom from walking too far. I am of course not looking to have huge speed, but would like to think that at worse it will restore the performance. I really hope someone can help, even if it involves a different way of riding (perhaps not full throttle).

Thanks in advance,

Tyrone

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
That looks like it will work OK with your motor. You will need to change some of the connectors as they will not match, but apart from that it should be straight forward. Just ask here if you need any advise.

Tyrone Williams

Just Joined
Jul 12, 2017
Port Talbot, UK
That looks like it will work OK with your motor. You will need to change some of the connectors as they will not match, but apart from that it should be straight forward. Just ask here if you need any advise.
Thank you so much; wiring and changing the connectors is not a problem; I was just concerned about possible damage if I used full throttle climbing a gradient, for example.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
At around 20 amps you should be ok, but worth taking it a bit easy on a long climb with as much effort as you can manage. It's normally the controller that will over heat in those conditions before the motor does.