Poor clearance derailleur

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by oyster, Jul 11, 2018.

1. oyster

oyster Pedelecer

Carrera Crosscity Electric Bike

[​IMG]

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crosscity-electric-bike

Happened to pop into Halfords this evening and saw the above ebike. Hardly going to set the world alight. But the thing that got me was the incredibly small distance between the very bottom of the derailleur and the ground. On the stand, it must have just about been in contact with the bits that the tyre rolls into.

(What I saw looked worse than in the picture. Perhaps frame size has some impact? No idea what size the one I saw. At the time I assumed there was only one size.)

Maybe in the real world, it works adequately, don't think I'll be trying one to find out. But it offends everything in me. It looks wrong. It surely must foul some bike stands? And isn't it going to get more muddy water, stones and anything else thrown up onto it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Woosh

Woosh Trade Member

I much prefer the Nexus 3-speed hub gears for 20" folding bike but it adds $30 to manufacturing cost - a lot for this segment of the market where cost is king.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. soundwave

soundwave Pedelecer

DSC_0111.JPG
    eat wet grass that will ;) tho it is better that the 11spd one it replaced

• Like Like x 1
  4. mike killay

mike killay Pedelecer

My folder is very similar.
    The only problem I have ever had was riding in long grass, so the motto is, off road, throttle only.
    Tough if you have a newer EU standard no throttle bike, fine if not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Charliefox

Charliefox Finding my (electric) wheels

I have a similar shimano on my Dahon folder which had a 6 speed screw on gear. Since I wanted a better spread I ordered a new wheel fitted with a 7 speed cassette so a faster 11 tooth at one end and a 32 at the other. I had previously tried to get the neat little gears that some Dahons came with but they were very hard to get and very expensive. So I settled for a Shimano RD-FT30. But when I wanted to fit it to my new 7 speed set up!
    Shimano RD-FT30 Tourney Rear Derailleur
    Compatible with 6 and 7-speed
    • Max Sprocket 28T
    • Min Sprocket 14T
    • Weight: 355 Grams
    They are quite cheap gears and if you don't mind the narrower range with an electric folder then fine. Having said that I just noticed the Halfords one is 8 speed!! I must say my low hanging cheapo Shimano has never caught on anything. The real killer of 20" (front) wheels is if you hit a hidden rut, in leaves or in a puddle, the short handle bar, small wheels and general geometry mean the bike goes over so fast there is no time to correct it.I know to my painful cost!

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Strong Goat

The Strong Goat Just Joined

Though I'm not a knowledge fountain of ebikes, this design evokes me of the classic folding design from Brompton which doesn't have this derailleur-position problem. Just like you, it offends me somewhat with this doubting derailleur design. I have to say, there is nothing wrong to borrow some nice frame design from somewhere else. But to me, I would accept some inexpensive ebikes make some compromises on somewhere like a less powerful motor even shorter capacity battery and etc. But a doubting design like this(which may cause some damage to the bike by throwing the derailleur into something during riding on the certain terrains) can not find an excuse from me. Maybe I'm being harsh here, but I think the design of this ebike has been done in a heartless way. Or on the contrary, it's a smart design beyond my perception and comprehension.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Woosh

Woosh Trade Member

the Brompton has a hub gear, no derailleur.

[​IMG]

8. The Strong Goat

Ooops, seems I made a spectacle of myself... and I'm sorry for this mistake sincerely...

• Like Like x 1
  9. oyster

oyster Pedelecer

Actually the photo looks more like a monocle. :)

10. The Strong Goat

Naughty;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice