Possible motor damage from RTA

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
Hi all,

I was wondering if I utilise the collective wisdom of the forum.

I have a Cube eMTB with a bosch performance CX motor. I use it daily to commute and have found it to be totally reliable and effective, covering 250km a week.

Today I was involved in a collision (a left hook) with a white van where my foot and crank were pinched under the van. Foot is sore but I'll live to ride another day, more of a concern is the FSA crank is bent in towards the frame 15-20mm compared with the other side.

Is there a large potential for damage to the motor from a reasonably large side loading like described or are those cranks made of cheese and bend easily.

Thanks for any advice.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
are those cranks made of cheese and bend easily.
Cranks are made to be tough. Generally, if you hit it hard enough to bend it, you have to make sure you haven't also damaged the bottom bracket as well.
Since your bottom bracket is effectively the motor, I'd be worried, even if seems to be working at the moment.
If its an insurance job, I certainly would be looking at claiming for a new motor.

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
Thanks lads, I am onto the company that own the van, they have asked for pictures of the damage but I will have to make a case for a new motor. I would imagine that they will want an assessment by a dealer.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, take it to the dealer and ask for an estimate.

Advice for UK. i don't know whether it's the same in ireland:

In the UK, if you're involved in an accident where someone is hurt, no matter how minor the injury, you must report it to the police immediately unless you can't because you're incapacitated, in which case you have to do it within 24 hrs. It's an offence not to report it. That's for both parties. When the police visit you at the scene of an accident, it's much easier to sort out insurance claims. If you don't report it to the police and then try and claim for injuries, somebody could ask you the question, "Did you report it?" If you say "no", either you committed an offence, or you weren't injured and lied about it.

Another thing: If you limp off bravely and then later get your dad to drive you to the hospital to fix your severely injured foot, it doesn't carry nearly as much weight for a future injuries claim as being carted off in an ambulance screaming in agony.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
Thanks for that, Irish law is basically based on the UK's so much the same. The van driver (ironically the van was from outside Belfast in N.I.) drove off after threatening to put me in an ambulance). I limped up to the local Police station which was around the corner and reported it anyway. My foot has since gotten better and is really only abraded and will doubtless be better by morning, I'm not a personal injury type of guy anyway. Actually consider myself blessed compared to what might have been, I just want the bike sorted.

I am in consultation with the delivery company anyway, they are not happy with the drivers driving or conduct apparently.

michael1971

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
coincidentally i bent my left fsa crank on my cube last sunday at hamsterly. i oversteered and toppled the bike onto its side pretty heavily. when riding off the pedal was oscillating and i thought i’d bent the pedal axle but it was the crank. i’ve swapped a different isis crank for it and it feels ok riding now. i’m hoping the cranks are semi sacrificial. i’m sure it won’t have done the bearing much good though.
oh well.

Related Articles

Advertisers