Potential Motor issue

Chris Thompson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 5, 2016
Leeds
Hello,

When pedalling my Bosch performance CX feels as though the bearing has gone. Feels like very gritty! Like when your headset bearing goes, but in the pedals.

Has anyone had this or similar problem? Don't know if it's serious or not. No banging or clicking just sounds a little louder pedalling and different...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you have warranty then take it back to the shop as all they can do is remove it and send it back to bosch.

dealers are not allowed to even remove the cover so cant fix it even if it is just a bearing:rolleyes:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I had the gritty sound usually after going off road in wet conditions.

What I did was give a good squirt of GT 85 around the spindle behind the front chain ring.

This did the trick, blowing out the crap and doing a bit of lubrication.

Chris Thompson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 5, 2016
Leeds
I have the same problem now. I thought all was good but was doing some cleaning today and the motor gearing sounds and feel really bad. Have removed both cranks and front chain ring. It is something inside there.

Maybe this main bearing? https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-Spare-Parts/Bosch-eBike-Spares/Bosch-eBike-Drive-Unit-Bearing

I still have warranty a month or so. Do you think this is covered by warranty?
Yes without a doubt I sent mine back to where I bought it from and they replaced the whole motor. The shop had to send it off and receive the new one but very easy to get it swapped. Perfect now. Just make sure the headset is updated to the same version as the motor as I then had to send my headset unit to have that updated. Good luck.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I had similar issue and it was the chain. When the cranks arms are on is there any play (sign of worn bearings), have you cleaned / lubricated the bearing area, does it rough rough/gritty, again could be sign of wear.

I've found these bike need a bit more maintenance than standard bike. have your bearing got the plastic seal from 2016.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
I had similar issue and it was the chain. When the cranks arms are on is there any play (sign of worn bearings), have you cleaned / lubricated the bearing area, does it rough rough/gritty, again could be sign of wear.

I've found these bike need a bit more maintenance than standard bike. have your bearing got the plastic seal from 2016.
this is without crank arms and without chain ring, it feels really bad

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
...well. I got a new motor. They sent it to Bosch. And they sent a brand new motor in box. Great! Just had to pay a "service fee" since I didn't buy the bike at my LBS (bought it online from abroad).

P1020201.jpg

P1020211-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers