powabyke battery

daveldo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2007
A friend has an unlabeled byke, which we believe to be a powabyke, and in replacing the three 12v lead acid batteries he has got rather confused with the connections. Can you help!

daveldo

Aug 2, 2007
my question

sorry I am getting very confused with all these different forums and even how this question got here, but will I get an answer?
Daveldo

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Daveldo,

I moved the thread for you into the main forum as PowaByke do not have a dedicated clinic section.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Daveldo, I drew attention to your original post being in the wrong place, since Powacycle are a different company and Powabyke owners would not enter there and see your question. Also I didn't want to answer there as it might have misled others to use that clinic for Powabyke queries as well.

The connections between batteries are from negative to positive. In other words, the bikes positive connection should connect to the first battery's positive connector, then that first battery's negative connection should go to the second battery's positive, the second battery's negative to the third battery positive, and finally the third battery's negative to the bike's negative connection.

In that way the three batteries individual 12 volts each are summed to make 36 volts.

Please post back if that's still not completely clear.

Last edited:

daveldo

Aug 2, 2007
powabyke battery connections

Hello,
thanks for your reply but it is not quite that simple! As I said I am not sure that this is a Powabyke, or a Powabyke battery box, but it just looks like it, it being unlabeled! There are three wires black yellow and red, as I remember it, and we assume that the red is connected to the positive end, but we are not sure where in the chain the yellow connection goes! Is it 12v from the black negative, or is it 24v with two batteries to the negative black. I do hope somebody with recongise this configuration. I have not looked too closely but there is a driver/inverter box mounted on the front head, and presume that the lower voltage is for an interim supply in the box!
thanks,
Daveldo

daveldo

Aug 2, 2007
battery connections

Sorry I have not got those battery wires correct. I should say firstly that I only think that this is a Powabyke because of the shape of the battery case, with two lead acid batteries end to end, and the third one crosswise! Yes following on from my last note, the red wire must be in the middle of the chain, as it has two connectors on it! As I tried to explain, which end has the black and the white wire, and where are the two batteries, making 24 volts!
Daveldo

BigBob

Jul 11, 2007
Swansea
Perhaps some photos of the bike/battery may help to identify it.

Won't help me mind ;) but it might help some of the experts on here

BB

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That one is a mystery to me Daveldo. If you can post a photo online and link to it or show it here as Bob suggests that would be helpful.

daveldo

Aug 2, 2007
resolved

glad to say that I think that this problem has now been resolved. Thanks to all who have contributed, and happy biking to you all.
Daveldo something!