Powabyke help needed, please!

kelly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2008
Hello

I'm new here but have been reading the forums for a while and it's great to know it's here!

I just bought a Powabyke on ebay. It needs a new battery, but I don't even know what model it is! It was described as a 1 gear, but there is a gear lever, which, if it gets knocked the tiniest bit, the chain comes off.

The battery is on its last legs too, and I need to know what model the bike I bought is in order to check that dealers have it in stock

If anyone can identify it and give me as much info as possible (as there was no manual with it), please pitch in.

Here are a couple of photos I took of it to help identify it:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh18/antoniafletch/bike2.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh18/antoniafletch/bike1.jpg

Thanks!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These bikes have three sealed lead acid batteries inside the casing that have to be replaced and connected as before. It's possible to buy these from independent sources and on ebay, but I feel you might find it simpler to use a Powabyke dealer for them.

If you go the web page below, you'll be able to locate your nearest Powabyke dealers:

Powabyke Dealer Directory

It's likely that Frank Curran of Powabyke will also see this thread of yours and also offer advice.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Ebay 15 a/h batteries

Hi Kelly,

The E-bay seller you refer to is Bernie at bikesandbatteries.com. If you give Bernie a ring on the number provided on his website, he will help you with your quest for new batteries,

As I understand it, bernie also upgrades existing Powerbikes using the new Lithium battery approved by Powerbikes, You may well find the best way to replace your batteries is by purchasing a complete new battery case as listed on Ebay, that price is very reasonable, and you wont have to worry about any soldering involved with fitting individual batteries. Just 'phone Bernie to make sure it is the correct one.

I can personally reccommend these batteries as Bernie supplied two for my 24 volt bike. They are PBQ 15 a/h deep cycle VRLA's and give a very good range in use. I should also add that bernie will give next day delivery if you order early on the previous day.

Hope this is of help

Best wishes

Bob

kelly

Jun 22, 2008
Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply, I've just emailed Bernie to see if he can help. Hopefully I'll have a new battery this time next week!

I've just saved £1.80 by using my bike to go to the shops! (albeit I had to peddle quite a bit cos the battery hasn't got much to give). My first journey proper on it! May there be many more.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hello

I'm new here but have been reading the forums for a while and it's great to know it's here!

I just bought a Powabyke on ebay. It needs a new battery, but I don't even know what model it is! It was described as a 1 gear, but there is a gear lever, which, if it gets knocked the tiniest bit, the chain comes off.

The battery is on its last legs too, and I need to know what model the bike I bought is in order to check that dealers have it in stock

If anyone can identify it and give me as much info as possible (as there was no manual with it), please pitch in.

Here are a couple of photos I took of it to help identify it:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh18/antoniafletch/bike2.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh18/antoniafletch/bike1.jpg

Thanks!
Hi,

The bike you have is a Mark 1 Classic. We no longer do those batteries complete but can change the internal cells and refurbish it. As has been posted already, Berni at bikesandbatterys.com would be the best man to do it for you. Otherwise please contact me on 01225 443737 and I can arrange for your battery to be collected and recycled for you.

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

kelly

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been in touch with Bernie via ebay and will soon be getting the new battery.

Frank, is there any printed info on this particular model? Also, when did production stop? (I'd like to have an idea of how old the bike is).

Cheers!

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been in touch with Bernie via ebay and will soon be getting the new battery.

Frank, is there any printed info on this particular model? Also, when did production stop? (I'd like to have an idea of how old the bike is).

Cheers!
Unfortunately we no longer have a manual for it. I joined Powabyke in Dec 01 and that model had been discontinued for about 18 months previous to that, so at a guess I would say it is between 8 and 11 years old. The electrics are all still available in some form or other as are the motors and internal battery cells, it's just the battery case that we are unable to source anymore. Again this is not a real problem as a different case can be adapted quite easily to get any MK1 bike up and running again.

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd