Powabyke shopper problems

mddata

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2013
I am having a problem with my powabyke shopper that is really frustrating me. When I turn the 'ignition' on, of the three lights that should light up on the throttle L,M,H only the medium and high lights come on. A wiring problem, course it is. But here is the frustrating bit. If I turn the handle bars about half way to the right all THREE lights come on...... mmm must be pulling a wire.... so I take off the throttle brakes etc off the handle bars, same result! So I even loosen the handlebars and just turn the wheel to the right and on come the three lights. I poked and prodded every wire and always the same result. PLEASE has anyone got any advice or ideas. Thanks in advance. :confused:

D

Deleted member 4366

The three LEDs are on a PCB. The same two wires supply all of them, so the green one isn't soldered properly, or there's a crack in one of the tracks to it, or the transistor isn't soldered properly, or any other of the components. You'd have to extract the pcb to test it. You should be able to find the fault by poking it in the right place. Getting it out requires disassembling the throttle, which, depending which throttle you have, normally means removing it from the handlebars and using three thin knives to hold the barbs back while you pull it apart.

mddata

Jul 23, 2013
Thanks for the reply d8veh tried prodding and poking everything, had throttle off, slackened and tightened every wire and cable all to no avail. Must be something IN the front wheel but not sure I am 'technical' enough to tackle it.

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you find the piece inside that looks something like this?

mddata

Jul 23, 2013
Picture1.jpg
Common sense keeps telling me that when I put the handlebars to the right I am pulling at a loose wire, however I have taken everything off the handlebars and still get the same result. I loosen the handlebars and just turn the forks and wheel to the right, still the same. MUST be something in the front wheel but what?. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

D

Deleted member 4366

Ok. That complicates things a little. You should now check with a voltmeter if you can because that fault could be more serious than it looks. The LEDs indicate voltage. As the voltage drops,the LEDs change, so one being out normally means that something's using power that drags the voltage down a bit. A voltmeter will confirm whether it's the voltage changing, or whether you've just got a dodgy LED. measure between the red and black while you turn the handlebars

mddata

Jul 23, 2013
Thanks for your help d8veh but I think it's time to give up on this one and go back to walking!

Advertisers