Powacycle battery/charger Help

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
just bought a cheap powacycle Cambridge. The guy says he can't charge battery as no charger.
Does anyone know where I can buy either charger or battery, as I may need to renew it.
I found a link last week n now the link is not found.
I don't know which batteries are compatible with Cambridge ? I thought maybe the Salisbury might be but I'm a tech person.

Regards n thanks in advance.

Nic

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
Wow that's a good price. N these are defo compatible ?

Is there a limit ? Or should I just get the lightest ? 24v

They are cell packed doe that also mean I could buy new cells from
Maplins ?

Cheers.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
email them fist to make sure but if not they can recell the pack you have and you can pick what cells you want in there for more capacity.

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
Think I'm gonna need it light as the Cambridge isn't a light bike to start with.

Have read the auction again n says lithium battery. So may just need a charger first.
It was given to a church so there is no charger. Do they need a key ?
Gawd I've no idea. Ha ha.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its the power connector at the bottom of the batt imo and the key is to lock the batt to the frame of the bike.

they should be able to sort a charger for the batt you have to see if it still works but these batts dont like not being used so if its been sat for a long time then it might need a new one.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i dont know how the lock works on that bike or if you need to remove it to charge the batt but you will need to find a way to remove it and or bust the lock some how.

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
Ok I've got the bike now. So I need a charger to see if this one still has life my battery seems to have LRX3 3 pin. So I need the female charger. Or is it a PAJ3.

Been in touch with powacycle n they say I can't have battery thin enough to fir my bike but I can have a charger. Says output 3 pin. Is that correct for my bike ? Sounds wrong to me.

Or I can get mine recelled but I still need a bloody charger. No help really.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
3 pin charge connector was for the NiMh batteries that the Cambridge originally used, which need a third connection.

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
A third connection ? Just been on maplins site n they have connectors. Fem to fem. should I get one of those to use with the chargers that powacycle are offering ?

My battery has the male so I need female charger. I that helps. I don't think anywhere does female lrx chargers. Well maybe china n I'm not buying from there.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Ok I've got the bike now. So I need a charger to see if this one still has life my battery seems to have LRX3 3 pin. So I need the female charger. Or is it a PAJ3.

Been in touch with powacycle n they say I can't have battery thin enough to fir my bike but I can have a charger. Says output 3 pin. Is that correct for my bike ? Sounds wrong to me.

Or I can get mine recelled but I still need a bloody charger. No help really.
.. yep. The three terminals are for power, ground and thermistor. Embedded inside the battery pack is was a temperature sensing resistance. When the battery was close to full charge, any extra charge was inefficiently converted into stored charge and most was converted to heat. The thermistor would sense a rapidly increasing temperature and turn off the charging. If you replace your battery pack with Li ion , you do need the proper charger but don't need the third wire.

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
Am I right in thinking. If I get a li-ion charger it will kill my nimh battery anyway ? So I defo need a nimh charger. ???

I'm getting a bit puzzled now n all I bloody want is a charger n battery that works. Not a bike sitting doing nowt.

All help gratefully received.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Am I right in thinking. If I get a li-ion charger it will kill my nimh battery anyway ? So I defo need a nimh charger. ???

I'm getting a bit puzzled now n all I bloody want is a charger n battery that works. Not a bike sitting doing nowt.

All help gratefully received.
.. sorry didn't know what type of response you want. An old NIMH battery pack is probably knackered either due to number of recharge cycles or just old age. They had an interesting failure mechanism. .. the nickel had a habit of growing long narrow sharp crystals and sometimes these punctured the insulation and shorted out the cell.
You can probably get an NIMH charger for your bike and even if you had to make an adaptor that would be ok.the only requirement would be that it is the correct voltage. I was assuming that you might want to replace the battery pack with a more up to date technology.

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
Like I said any help is greatly received.
So where is best place to recell my battery ? I don't fancy doing it myself. I don't have soldering equipment
Gawd I've no idea.

Or do I have to change the whole thing.
That may be a problem as the base is welded into the bike ?? Or does that screw off n replace that to ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If recelling go for Lithium Ion cells and get a new charger, search on here and you will find a link for Insat intl (London) the guy there is Jimmy and he gets the thumbs up from members who have used his services. Also they are on Ebay and I believe can arrange for the collection and return of your battery.

Advertisers