Powacycle cassette removal

gordone6

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 4, 2009
Hi,
Trying to change my Shimano freewheel cassette from a 14-28 to 13-34. The wires from the hub motor need to go through the centre of the cassette tool.
The power wires are ok but the thin sensor wires are connected to a plastic connection block that need to go through the centre of the tool. All the cassette removal tools the local bike shops have for sale or use in their workshops will not work as the end with the hexaganol faces for the spanner connection or for sq socket drive are tapered. I need a cassette removal tool where the hole thro the centre of the tool is pretty much the same at both ends, anybody know of such a tool??
regards Gordon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also use the 13 to 34 freewheel with both my eZee models Gordon, and I had to cut the wires and rejoin, since the five way plastic connector on those bikes not only doesn't go through the removal tool, it wont quite go through the 13 tooth end of the freewheel either! :(

Check the connector on your bike and you'll possibly find it's the same, making the removal tool not an issue.

I've got two removal tools and they both have an internal taper, presumably for strength.

gordone6

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks Flecc did you a new connector or cut join the wires allowing you to use the existing plasic connector.
Gordon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I cut the wires and reused the connector Gordon, then soldered the wires back together, then insulating them and binding them back as a sealed pack. There was enough spare cable on my two to do that, and it's probably the same on the Powacycle.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Is it a cassette or a freewheel?

I had a similar problem on a Bafang rear motor when I wanted to change the freewheel. As well as the wires, there is the problem that the axle is 12 mm diameter with flats. The Shimano removal tool is designed to fit over standard 10 mm axles.

The tool is hardened steel and it can't be drilled or machined easily.

I had to temper the steel so I could machine out the hole to 12 mm. I thought about re-hardening it again, but it worked fine in the softened state.

Nick

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I had a similar problem where the 5 sensor wires all went into the same plug. I found that the pins could be pushed out of the back of the plug to leave thin spade connectors that passed easily through the removal tool. They were held in place by a little clip which a screwdriver could depress allowing the pin to be pushed back, if it takes much force then something is probably wrong.
The plugs vary quite a bit so this might not work.
If the Shimano freewheel remover hole is too small to fit over the axle then there is another one that will fit, I've got it but can't remember the name.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is a freewheel on these Nick, rear motor. Because there was only 4 mm depth to drill on the Shimano removal tool, I tried drilling it without softening and it was ok. Although the hole didn't have a smooth surface, the HSS drill wasn't damaged.