Powered Bike Trailer

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
While investigating a trailer so i can carry more batteries independent of the bike i came across this you tube video
It uses an extrawheel trailer and a hub motor to push you along. It seems to me to be an easy build and the only minor problem would be extending the controls/LCD lead. Can anyone see any problems with this? is a push type system practical. I have one bike that i dont want to convert but this type of system could be the answer.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm not sure if I would like the feeling. I don't like it when my trailer full of shopping pushes me around.

Other thought is about the coupling and the force going through it.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Where do I start?
Power without pedalling is a no no, as is 27Km/h and as it's so unusual it will attract attention.
The powered wheel has very little weight on it. May be OK in the flat lands but on our more serious hills it's gonna scrub like crazy, especially on loose or slimey surfaces. I ride the rural back lanes of Wales so I know what that's like. So you end up loading the bags, that linkage looks kinda flimsy.
No reflector, no lights.(Jeez I'm feeling picky this morning!).

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Wheel spin:( jack -nife on a wet corner the bike turns the trailer pushes straight on ouch :eek: might be ok in Holland on the flat land wonder what the turning circle is:)
Have seen it work on a huge army truck but the trailer had tracks and had rear steer

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
My first glance suggested to me that the powered trailer was being added to an ebike. Therefore, effectively, reducing the impact of pulling a trailer on range and performance. Imagining that it would only provide just enough power for itself (e.g. based on tension or compression of the towing mechanism). Other than questions over legality, it seemed quite a reasonable idea.

Then, I thought that the powered trailer could, as shown, also be used as for the same reasons on non-powered bike. Fine with the same caveat about legality.

As a device providing the sole power, it suddenly seemed a much more questionable idea. Sharp corners on slippery surfaces came to mind. I'd want to be convinced that the mechanics have been properly analysed.

You'll also find few bike racks where it could be parked up.

Last edited:

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Thank you for your comments and on reflection i think you are ALL probably right, after all if the idea was practical then Extrawheel, the company, would market it.
I live in Hilly Bristol, so as pointed out, it would be less than satisfactory when pushing up a hill.
@Benjahmin I never intended it to be a non pedal assist, infact i dont fit the throttles on my Bafang mid drives because if i wanted a moped i would buy one.
So back to researching a small trailer so as to carry the batteries off the bike, favorite is between a carry freedom and a bob yak.

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They have been marketed, Tony Castles at Currie Electrodrive here sold one long ago with one of the Currie hub side-drive motors on one of its two wheels. I believe he also experimented with a hitch that controlled the power to make it pedelec control so more legal, but that was never offered There's also been some on the continent like the Dutch one below on a recumbent trike, also carrying luggage under its lid. However they aren't legal so there are risks attached to using one.