practical step-through

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Our tandem conversion has been a great success, thanks all at Woosh. I will want to buy an electric bike for myself some time, maybe soonish, maybe not so soon, but starting thinking about it. This won't be a conversion as I know that very soon I will want a step-through rather than crossbar bicycle. Mainly looking at Woosh, for value and customer service.

Santana 2018 looks good and sensible; though I am not convinced by rear rack batteries.
Rio Low Step FatBoy looks interesting ... but 'interesting' is not always a god thing, so a few questions.

Quoted range for Santana is 50-60 miles on the flat, Rio only 25. The 13/15 battery difference explains a tiny bit of that, but still leaves nearly 2 times. What is the reason for that?
1: You anticipate different styles of use, and the difference with similar use would be very small?
2: Rolling resistance of the big Rio tyres?
3: Efficiency of the motor, maybe because the Rio would often be running below its motors optimum power?

It would be fun at first to have the fatter tyres (3" is not normally called 'fat', but never mind). However, for typical shopping trips and rides on roads and relatively easy tracks it might not be the best.
1. Would the 3" tyres be suitable for that kind of use?
2. I see I could replace the tyres some time, maybe Marathon Plus MTB 2.25". How does the Rio ride on smaller (still large) tyres? It appears it would be almost impossible to replace 36"x3.0" tyres in a few years time; pretty few and far between now.

It looks like both would have more than enough hill climbing capability for me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Quoted range for Santana is 50-60 miles on the flat, Rio only 25.
Thanks for pointing that out. I have now amended the web page.
The range of the Rio LS for 13AH battery is 25-45 miles depending on tyre pressure and terrain.
If you inflate the tyres at 15 psi for rocky tracks, you'll get far fewer miles than 35 psi on tarmac'ed roads.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the best value step through at the moment is the Santana3.
It has a faster version of the SWX02.
I was a bit affected by d8veh's comment that the Oxygen is faster than the Rio MTB, although both have the same winding code 12, but because of wheel size 650B of the Oxygen is slightly larger than the Rio's 26", his comment was valid. So I changed the winding code on the Santana3 to code 9, about 20% faster than code 12.
It (motor code) does not matter when you ride at 15mph but if you are light weight (13st or under), code 9 literally flies.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Woosh,

Just as a matter of interest, what rear sprockets do you use on the Santana 3?
14T-28T, 11T-32T?

It would be very useful to know this information for your whole range of ebikes.

This omission also applies to many other dealers, so please don't think that I am just picking on Woosh.

Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh,

Just as a matter of interest, what rear sprockets do you use on the Santana 3?
14T-28T, 11T-32T?

It would be very useful to know this information for your whole range of ebikes.

This omission also applies to many other dealers, so please don't think that I am just picking on Woosh.

Thanks.
it's 7-speed 13T-34T, 44T chainring.
It has a full size chainguard, you can change the chainring to 52T if you need more gear of change the freewheel to a DNP-7 11T-28T or do both, it has the torque to support it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153140074574?chn=ps.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't noticed that the Santana 3 was hub drive. Certainly looks a very practicable answer; though I'm still biased against rear battery.

What's the torque on the Santana 3? I see you say in the Santana CD: A hub motor can only deliver around 20-35NM torque. On the Santana CD, you'll get around 18NM torque on the 9th gear and about 50NM on the first gear. But I seem to remember you mentioning much higher torque numbers on the RioLS.

Still intrigued by the Rio> Any answers to my earlier questions on its suitability for the usage I mentioned there, and how it behaves with 2.25" tyres?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Ziir

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2022
wich one is more powerful comparing santana3 vs gran camino ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Same. Both have 20A controller.

Ziir

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2022
ok , i'm thinkng getting one , i love the dutch style santana 3 has , but it seems camino looks even better .
hard decision