Presta valves OK on a Schrader wheel?

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I bought some presta valve tubes for my bike that has schrader valves. I've since realised that presta is 6mm and schrader is 8mm. Will they be OK in the same rims?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I bought some presta valve tubes for my bike that has schrader valves. I've since realised that presta is 6mm and schrader is 8mm. Will they be OK in the same rims?
I cannot see any difficulty, the locking rings used to hold the valve in place on the rim should cover the slack. If not retain the old ring and use it as a washer . Anyway I hate Prestwick valves, give me Schrader anyday.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I cannot see any difficulty, the locking rings used to hold the valve in place on the rim should cover the slack. If not retain the old ring and use it as a washer . Anyway I hate Prestwick valves, give me Schrader anyday.
Thanks. What do you hate about presta?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Schreader Easy to use with power compressors , every garage has one.. the valve arrangement on the presta is such that it is very difficult not to spill some air when disconnecting them.
I actually went to Halfords and got little brass adaptors so that I can use the schreader pump

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ordered wrong Gaadi tube and it arrived with P valve.
A bit of amalgam tape on the stem to fit Schrader size hole and use a brass adapter for my Schrader pump.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Using a Schrader adapter with presta's eliminates any damage concerns when fitting or removing pump connection.

Advertisers