Presta valves

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes me, I've always drilled rims and fitted Schrader tubes and that's never caused any bother with any rim type.

Prestas were a stupidly unnecessary invention, or should at least have been confined to the sport areas where every gram seems to matter.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I don't mind them, as it's quite easy to fit the track pump head onto them. Schrader valves are a bit fiddlier to do so. They also have the advantage of being screwed on whereas Schraders aren't.

• Disagree
Reactions: bigclick and Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't mind them, as it's quite easy to fit the track pump head onto them. Schrader valves are a bit fiddlier to do so. They also have the advantage of being screwed on whereas Schraders aren't.
I find completely the opposite, Schraders much easier to connect instantly, no fiddly little screw cap to unscrew, and no flimsy centre pin to get bent.

And there are some screw on Schrader connectors, my Ring automotive pump has one, and fitting a new Schrader valve core is childs play.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I don't get point of presta valves. Is there a single advantage to them ?
I find them easier to damage, more likely to collect dirt, harder to seal on pump and usually lose a psi or 2 tightening them back up.
What is the point of them ?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Altop1

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I have both, and have never really given thought to either.

I also carry a spare tube that has a presta valve, as it gives the option to fit any rim type/hole
Its risking it a bit putting presta in Schrader... The tube is not supported at the base of the valve ( the bit you,d have drilled out to fit Schrader) At high pressures the tube could be pushed through the gap ??( IMHO)
ie..the hole should be filled by valve...???

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I can't say that it really bothers me. I run tubeless on the mtb/emtb and have yet to ever require a tube. A tube would be a last resort, and I'm not about to keep swapping the spare kit that I carry, so I'm not going to worry about it. :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Denis99

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Schrader's for me also any rims with presta get drilled..

Reactions: Zlatan

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I just fitted a Continental tube to my Oxygen when swapping over to Ice Spiker tyres and that had a threaded Schrader valve. Not seen that before.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Ditto. Why waste effort manually pumping tyres when an electric car-tyre pump does it more accurately and in just a few seconds?
I use Co2 cartridges,way quicker than even an electric pump.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ditto. Why waste effort manually pumping tyres when an electric car-tyre pump does it more accurately and in just a few seconds?
I used to have one years ago but now find a quality track pump is better then anything. Mine gets used on the car as well.
By the time I've opened the bonnet and connected up, I will have the tyre done and dusted with a TP.

• Agree
Reactions: Gubbins

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Once out I use Co2 but only take a couple of cartridges other wise I have a mountain morph.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I used to have one years ago but now find a quality track pump is better then anything. Mine gets used on the car as well.
By the time I've opened the bonnet and connected up, I will have the tyre done and dusted with a TP.
That's great if that works for you. My e-bike transport is a VW Transporter Van wholly dedicated to exploring cycle tracks around the UK... air pump plugs in ciggi socket... memorised digital pressure setting... just plug in and switch on... few seconds... spot on pressure... simples! And if there's a few of us on the trip, that's a lot of tyres to check/pump!

Even better is that the van tyres and bike tyres are all at 60psi (I wouldn't fancy pumping my van tyres to 60psi with a track pump)!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was all three for me. Track pump on the full-size bike bike, CO2 on the folder and the Ring electric pump back at base.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
At one point I had 2 bikes, same size wheel on both but 1 presta and 1 shrader so drilled one out to make them the same. Only reason being so my rucksack with spares could be used on either bike without swapping out or carrying 2 tubes and my pumps had only the one size valve to fit. Now both my bikes have presta and I havnt found it inconvenient in any way so dont understand the strong views expressed.
The presta valve inner isnt removable but the screw down cap keeps dirt out if the dust cap gets lost.
TBH I cant see any benifit to me to drill out 4 wheels to change over..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
TBH I cant see any benifit to me to drill out 4 wheels to change over..
That's fine, each to their own.

The benefits for me are that Schrader pumps and attachments are universal and everywhere. I find attachment quicker and easier with Schrader. The exposed center pin of Prestas is easily bent. And for those who use Slime etc, it's much easier to insert into Schrader tubes without blocking the valve since that can be removed first.

Reactions: Altop1

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
So, why are there two types of valve and what determins which of them is fitted to any specific bike? Is it a munufacturers preffernce perhaps? My last 4 bikes, 3 x Scott and 1 x Giant have all had the Presta type. I can remember drilling out on Scott number 1 so other bikes owned at that time must have has shrader.

Related Articles

Advertisers