Presta valves

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So, why are there two types of valve and what determins which of them is fitted to any specific bike?
Probably sport is the determinant, Presta were created for the sport types who try to save every gramme in weight.

Originally though the Woods/Dunlop valve was always on bikes, originally with a rubber sleeve over an insert with a hole making a crude valve. Later versions have a ball valve in place of the rubber sleeve and these valves are very popular on the Continent still, goodness knows why. Kalkhoff bikes always came with them originally and may still do.

But the universality of Schrader worldwide brought those to the fore, since they were so much better than the Woods/Dunlop in most opinions.

And Presta were a weight saver for racing etc., and may also have an advantage for the very high over 100 lbs pressures in the tiny section tyres of race bikes.

Valves.jpg

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Well here is something that I didn't previously know.

Seemingly every new bike that I have ever bought, has come with the plastic thing as shown in this link. I have always just put it straight into the bin, as I had no idea what it was for.

A tool for removing a presta valve core.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-presta-removable-valve-core-pack-of-4/rp-prod161980?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sDhAuqp2Y_dc|pcrid|161850070953|pkw||pmt||prd|597334UK

• :D
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Well here is something that I didn't previously know.

Seemingly every new bike that I have ever bought, has come with the plastic thing as shown in this link. I have always just put it straight into the bin, as I had no idea what it was for.

A tool for removing a presta valve core.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-presta-removable-valve-core-pack-of-4/rp-prod161980?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sDhAuqp2Y_dc|pcrid|161850070953|pkw||pmt||prd|597334UK

how do you think i top up my tyres i take out the core and pump it in with a syringe ;)

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Are all presta valve cores like this? I have slime tubes in the mtb and have often wondered if I should top it up but didnt know how..
Sadly not.

Tubeless always are, but I think that I have just been lucky with my tubes. I'll check, but think that my tubes are Schwalbe. I'd imagine that Slime tubes would be though. If the main part of the core has two small flat edges, then it should be removable.

SW, I've simply been using a spanner to remove mine.

Last edited:

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Its risking it a bit putting presta in Schrader... The tube is not supported at the base of the valve ( the bit you,d have drilled out to fit Schrader) At high pressures the tube could be pushed through the gap ??( IMHO)
ie..the hole should be filled by valve...???
Last time I brought a set of Mavic wheels they were drilled for Schrader but had a couple of plastic shims to convert to Presta.

Has anyone seen a tubeless Schrader valve?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last time I brought a set of Mavic wheels they were drilled for Schrader but had a couple of plastic shims to convert to Presta.

I have TL Schrader valves.

D

Deleted member 22539

Hi
yes Stans sell Schrader valves for there tubless hugo rims .

Related Articles

Advertisers