Pro Connect (2008)

Julian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2008
Somerset, BA3
I have a 2008 Pro Connect which I no longer use. It's in good condition as it was only used for commuting for one summer but the battery has died (I sent it back to 50cycles for testing and they told me it was dead). It's not worth me buying a new battery as I ride a non-electric bike these days. Since e-bike technology has moved on a lot in the past few years I guess this would probably only be of interest to someone who has a spare 26V battery or who wants it for spares so I'm willing to consider any offer as I just want to clear some garage space! It's a gents-style frame with crossbar and I think the frame size is large (it's the right size for me and I'm 5'10"). I can send you a photo if you are interested. I'm in Somerset near Frome if if you want to have a look at it.
Julian

Julian

Feb 14, 2008
Somerset, BA3
The motor worked OK last time it was used, but without a working battery I have no way of testing it now. I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

I was thinking of around £100.

Here is a picture:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi
You have second message.

Regards

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ok he has lots of PMs
Anyone told him new batteries available yet?

Julian

Feb 14, 2008
Somerset, BA3
Thanks everyone, I have received your PMs and I will reply to them shortly. I know that new batteries are becoming available but they are not cheap and I don't really have a use for this bike which is why I am getting rid of it. It's been hanging around for a long time and I really need the space, that's why the price is low. If I bought a new battery and sold the bike with it I could possibly make a bit more money but I just don't want the extra work.

Julian

Feb 14, 2008
Somerset, BA3
I have received an offer of £150 with collection. I'll wait until the end of today and select the best offer tomorrow morning.

You will need a 26V battery for this bike. 50cycles has them here: http://www.50cycles.com/accessories/electric-bike-spares/batteries-and-chargers1.html the Panasonic or E-Bike Vision ones should work. I think the original battery was 12 or 14Ah and I used it successfully for a 30 mile round trip commute in fairly hilly terrain but the battery was pretty low at the end of the trip.

Bmdji

Jul 9, 2014
Can the top speed on this be increased slightly? Would it be changing the rear sprocket? Easy job?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, just changing the rear sprocket for a smaller one will increase it's assist speed. The Pro Connect at that time had a 22 tooth sprocket and that can be reduced to as low as a 16 tooth one. The latter will give a just over 20 mph assist limit, though the power phases down well before that.

This Pro Connect appears to be the earliest model with 24 spoke wheels which did give some trouble to some owners. Later models changed to 32 spoke. The wheels can be changed to 32 or 36 spoke ones, but that entails a new rear Shimano Nexus 8 speed gearhub.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Either of the above ways works, but best to try the bike first and decide which then, since changing the motor sprocket changes the cadence (pedal rotation speed). If you like the cadence as it is, change the gear hub sprocket. If you prefer to pedal faster, change the motor sprocket.

Julian

Feb 14, 2008
Somerset, BA3
Yes, this Pro Connect is probably an early one as I think the Pro Connect had only just been launched in the UK when I bought it.

I have now received an offer of £200 and collection.

Julian

Feb 14, 2008
Somerset, BA3
Now up to £210.

Regarding the rear sprocket I think it would be better with a smaller one, I used to find myself pedalling quite fast on the flat.

Julian

Feb 14, 2008
Somerset, BA3
Not necessarily, I'm still waiting to hear back from the person who sent me the offer of £210. I'll give him a day or two to get back to me.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Lookiing for around £100,becomes an auction till tonight,which becomes a few more days,to try and get the best offer that somebody probably regretted making,why not just put it on ebay and stop messing people about.

Reactions: fatts