Pro-Connect Charging Problems

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have had my Pro-Connect just over a week now and have done over 120 miles on it. I am really pleased with it and the riding experience exceeds my expectations.
I am having a few difficulties with the charger / charging and I don’t know if it something that I am doing wrong or if there is a fault. I have read the instructions and as far as I know, I am doing everything that I am supposed to.
When I arrived home with the bike having collected it from the dealer, I put the battery on charge as recommended. No problems, 3 LEDs lit and it charged until all the LEDs went out. I ran the battery right down until it was completely exhausted, put it on the charger and nothing. No LEDs lit. I left it for a couple of hours, but no LEDs were lit. I don’t know what I did but after taking the battery on and off the charger a couple more times, one LED lit and it proceeded through the charge sequence as described in the manual.
After the second complete discharge of the battery, the same thing happened. This time I was at work and faced a long unassisted ride home. After shouting and swearing at it for a while it still wouldn’t charge. I then asked a colleague to hurl verbal abuse at it and after that, one LED lit up and it charged OK.
The same thing happened after the third discharge. This time, I opened up the 67p Wilko plug fitted by the dealer to see if all was well in there. It was, so I closed it up, put the battery back on the charger and hey presto one LED lit.
The battery has now had 3 full charge discharge cycles so should be conditioned. So this time the battery is partially discharged and I have decided to start a regime of re-charging it from a partially discharged state. I have just put the battery on the charger and nothing, no LEDs lit. I have tried everything, opening the plug, re-making off the wire into the plug, shouting, swearing, pulling faces but nothing will make it charge.
I came up to the house and sat and thought about it for a while. The charger worked fine when I got it home and the only thing that I did differently then was to have switched the power on to the bike and off again just before putting the battery on charge.
So, I have been down to the garage, switched the bike power on, waited 10 seconds, switched off, put the battery on charge and now it is charging perfectly.
Sorry to be so long winded, but do I have a fault here? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? So far i have managed to get the charger to work by (1) Taking the battery on and off the charger a number of times (2) Opening and closing the plug (3) Shouting at it (4) Switching the bike power on and off.
As you can see, I have no consistent thing that makes it work. Is it possible that the battery is somehow going into a sleep mode and by doing 1 to 4 above, I have re-activated it? Should it go into a sleep mode after 3 to 4 hours on no use?
Again sorry for the waffle but the situation seems quite complex.
Kind Regards
Tom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Just tried to charge it again and no LEDs light up when the battery is on the charger. Tried switching power on and off with the battery on the bike and it still won't charge.

Should it be doing this? I need this bike to be reliable for my comute to work.

Thanks
Tom

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
That sounds like a very faulty charger to me. Mine just plugs in and works, full stop.

I push the led to see how much charge is left, place the battery in the charger, and then plug the charger in, thats it.

John

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
50 Cycles swapped the charger for a new one. No quibbles. Thank you. And all seems to be OK so far.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Battery Charging

50 Cycles swapped the charger for a new one. No quibbles. Thank you. And all seems to be OK so far.
I have had my Pro Connect for just over a week and the battery has been charged twice - no problems.
I ran it down today until it was blinking and set it on the charger - nothing happened. I waited a while but still no lights.
I unplugged it, used a different socket, removed the battery and replaced it on the charger - nothing.
I then examined the plug but couldn't even get the screw out with a normal screwdriver. I tapped the plug casing and poked around the fuse holder thingy - then tried it again and it worked. I suspect the plug is rubbish and will replace mine a.s.a.p. :(

Advertisers