Problem with new Tongsheng TSDZ2

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Got the 350w version with brakes and throttle and Large display(VLCD-5). It was an easy fit, couple of hours at most including my many tea breaks, Really nice motor looks a lot better finished than the bafang and very stealthy. Soldered an XT90 on and connected the battery, everything lit up as expected, i was careful to just let it do its own thing for a few seconds, then came the problem. I can't get into the setup mode to set the wheel size, change KPH to MPH etc. I followed instructions which are press and hold "start" and "i" for 3 seconds then you use "i" to move through the menu except it doesn't happen. Its not straight forward like the Bafang where you can see instantly when you are in the right menu. With the Tongsheng nothing changes until you "i" it past the end of the usual menu items then the code for wheel size appears, or in my case doesn't appear.
I have taken it out on the road with the default settings and everything seems fine except its not reading correctly as expected, infact my top speed was 99.9 KPH wow i must be fitter than i thought LoL. and a mile and a half came out as 58 kilometers.
So i think two things are wrong, the display is faulty because i cant get into setup and the magnet wheel sensor is kaput because of the outrageous readings.
Have contacted PWSPower who was the vendor and they sent the VLCD-5 manual which i already had and said if i can't sort it, send it back at my own expense and they will repair it, which i suppose is good for Chinese vendors.
But before i return it i wondered if any of the Tongsheng owners on this site had any ideas, because its going to take a couple of months to get it back and fixed, and i am now worried that it might not be the display although logic tells me it must be.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i have the 250w vertion same display initially setup wheel size etc.
a while back wanted to check settings and had a real job getting into the menu again.
I have just tried mine (I and power for 3 seconds nothing different on display)
but then holding down the I button brings up d1 the wheel settings you can then set by toggling + or - then I for next item to be set.
hope this helps I had to faff about a bit to get display to go into hidden menu

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
i have the 250w vertion same display initially setup wheel size etc.
a while back wanted to check settings and had a real job getting into the menu again.
I have just tried mine (I and power for 3 seconds nothing different on display)
but then holding down the I button brings up d1 the wheel settings you can then set by toggling + or - then I for next item to be set.
hope this helps I had to faff about a bit to get display to go into hidden menu

Thanks footpump, i have been trying for days and no luck instead of di i get rE which i have just been told is to do with the torque sensor and 88 which mine says is cool. But i think its uncool because i dont care about the f***ing torque sensor as i want to change the size of my wheel and turn KPH into MPH. I am really regretting my purchase as PSWPower who i bought it from are not being very helpful.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i have just looked at the display manual and toggled through d1 etc no mention of re or 88 at all .perhaps you could remove the sensor wire and see what the display reads.
others on here have 250 and 350w tdz moters and from same vendor would assume vl5 display serves both models ?

ebc datchworth used to sell tdz 250 and 350 perhaps they can give insight into the re,88

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I am trying to be patent bearing in mind the language barrier and also the fact they have me by the short and curlies and the fact that the communication with them is over several thousand miles. So Alice, thats the Chinese lady who i am talking to showed the photograph to the factory people and from what i gather its the torque sensor readings, i'm not sure that she explained that i got that reading from the setup mode. EBC dont seem to do do any DIY kits now and as i am not a customer i am not cheeky enough to approach them.

Birger Bulukin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 5, 2016
Nittedal, Norway
I have installed the tsdz2 on more than 20 bikes. I have had one problem: On one occasion the speed did not show correctly, it showed just zeros.
I buy via Mandy at MXUS and I sent the display back to them. Quite a lot of discussions, but now the display is on its way back to me. I was lucky in having one more set, so I could check that the failure really was in the display.
I think your vendor should let you borrow a display to settle where the problem is.
I have noticed another peculiarity; At sub zero (C) temperatures it happens that failure code E2.8 appears periodically. I have tracked this down to the connector for the speed counter on the back wheel. By heating this point with a heat pistol or hair dryer the failure code disappears, at least for a while. I'm planning to insulate the connector with heat shrink tubing to see if anything changes.
Otherwise my neighbours unit (installed by me) has logged more than 3000km the last year, mine 1700km.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Hi Birger, This problem is still ongoing, i sent the lcd back , i had to pay postage for the return and postage to get the replacement to me from china. When the replacement arrived it was the wrong plug, mine is an 8/9 pin(large plug) they sent a 6 pin(small plug) and it was broken to boot. I sent photo's and they are replacing it but they are out of stock but i refused to send any more money. Alice the poor lady who is dealing with me, is i think as frustrated by it all as me, and i have to remember that its not her fault and she is just doing a difficult job, also i think she is using google translator and i have learnt to keep things in short sentences such as " where is my display" then a fresh line " big plug please" " see photographs" etc etc. It has taken so long to get here that i have bought another Bafang and am riding round on that now, still my birthday is in February and i am hoping it will be sorted by then. The lesson i have learned from this is, try to buy motors from your own country first and only buy from China for small parts or if its not available in your country.

Reactions: Deleted member 4366

raymee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2015
EBC at Datchworth have stopped selling these motors due to the many problems incurred with them, they do have quite a few unsold units, warranty returns and spares though, They are always help full, drop them an email I would imagine they will be monitoring mails over the closed period.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Hi raymee, thanks for the heads up but i aint spending any more money, I will get it sorted one way or another, i just have to cultivate being patent and persistent without being rude, very difficult for me, but i suppose its good for the soul. At least the seller and I are still talking so there is still hope.

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
I’ve just got a new motor which behaved similarly; different error code but same ridiculous mph - 67mph. A bit shamefaced I had to admit, to probably the same woman at pswpower, that I’d connected the 3 pin jst throttle connector into the display completely the wrong way round. You can do it; just need to push a bit harder! Correcting that cleared the error code and fiddling with the separation distance, min 5mm, of the speed sensor got it working properly.

If things go bad to worse for you, it’s possible we could arrange a loan of both a VLDC5 (8 pin) and a sensor, both of which I have spare?

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
WOW Douglas that really is getting into the Xmas Spirit especially as i am a complete stranger to you, hopefully i wont need to avail myself of your very kind offer. I have bought a new sensor from another company as it seems to have been totally dropped from my conversation with Alice but we seem to be getting somewhere with the VLCD5 as its gone from "two weeks" to "next week" and now its "in a few days" She doesn't really have anywhere else to go, so i am hoping for a new years present from them. I dont actually need the motor anymore as both my bikes have Bafangs now BUT i paid for a working motor AND that is what i am determined to get, and i will pester them until i get what i paid for. Anyway i Hope you had a good Xmas and here's wishing you a prosperous and happy New Year and that goes for the whole readership of this forum :)

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Yabba Dabba Doo!!! they finally sent my replacement VLCD-5 and everything is now(at last) as it should be. That was such a stressful experience, 4 1/2 months from start to finish, hope i never have to go through that torture ever again.