Puncture

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
I got my 1st pucnture in years abit fed up because they were slime tubes,pre done ones, luckily not to far from home so walked abit.Now on my old cb bike i put the slime in myself and never had a puncture that i had to fix in 18 years.Any way removed the offending thorns that the council left on the path and used some self adhesive patches.Dont know if there any good.Maybe look at the tubless option one day.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i don't think one puncture in 18 years is nothing to write home about even one puncture every 12 months is not bad really.

Someone i know who used their bicycle for work daily told me a couple of weeks ago that he had 5 punctures in one week

i did tell him to put some joes no flats in the tube to stop getting the punctures

• Agree

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I got my 1st pucnture in years abit fed up because they were slime tubes,pre done ones, luckily not to far from home so walked abit.Now on my old cb bike i put the slime in myself and never had a puncture that i had to fix in 18 years.Any way removed the offending thorns that the council left on the path and used some self adhesive patches.Dont know if there any good.Maybe look at the tubless option one day.
BLOODY AMAZING!, or this is your first ride in 18 years :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I never had a puncture in 22 years on the bike I bought in 1988 and I never took any protection against punctures. No slime and just ordinary crap tyres.

It spent 16 years sitting in my shed and did a total of about 250 miles during the rest of the time I had it.

Before that, I hadn't had a puncture on a bicycle in 23 years. It might have been because I never rode a bicycle in that time. That makes 45 years without a puncture!

In other words, it's not years that count, it's miles.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I just take a spare tube with me now.
I had a couple of long walks home last year, due to large punctures in pre-filled slime tubes. Prior to that they'd been pretty good at sealing the smaller holes. The coke tin ring pull shard puncture, shown in the video, was too big to seal itself.

I like Steve's solution, as a quick, get me home fix. I was thinking about maybe getting one of those inner tubes that wrap around the wheel and plugs into itself. There's no need to remove the wheel.

Does anyone know what they're called?

Shard.jpgShard2.jpg shard3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: IR772

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I had a couple of long walks home last year, due to large punctures in pre-filled slime tubes. Prior to that they'd been pretty good at sealing the smaller holes. The coke tin ring pull shard puncture, shown in the video, was too big to seal itself.

I like Steve's solution, as a quick, get me home fix. I was thinking about maybe getting one of those inner tubes that wrap around the wheel and plugs into itself. There's no need to remove the wheel.

View attachment 18233View attachment 18234 View attachment 18235
That piece of metal that came out of that tyre should of been weighed in at the scrap dealer for the size of it

• :D
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013

View attachment 18233View attachment 18234 View attachment 18235
Gaadi, as far as I can remember.

Jim

• Informative

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
After this youtube i am going to carry a spare tyre with me "Folding version"
and spare tube just in case because you never know what you are going to
encounter on the roads

i do very much depend on my bike to get me around places and sometimes i do need to get to appointments and this would pretty much stop me from getting to the appointments

A Spare tube and spare folding tyre is nothing much to carry just in case something did happen when on the road

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I I was thinking about maybe getting one of those inner tubes that wrap around the wheel and plugs into itself. There's no need to remove the wheel.

Gaadi.

Available from a few retailers including Rose and Bike Discount.

I have one, but have never had to deploy it.

A member on here had one in each wheel with no problems.

http://gaadi.de/?lang=en

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Recently I got some ' No Joes ' put it in front and back tube, result went out on 50+ mile ride and had 2 punctures both I had to patch as the goo was next to useless. The only useful thing it did was to indicate where the P was.

• Useful

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
My Ezee Forza has Marathon Plus tyres and I've only had one puncture in 1600 miles and even that was just bad luck - it was an industrial staple that went right through the tyre.

I was forever getting punctures on my Giant Roam 3 hybrid bike so I recently switched to Marathon Plus tyres and slimed tubes. I can definitely feel the extra weight but aside from that, so far so good, not a single puncture.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
My Ezee Forza has Marathon Plus tyres and I've only had one puncture in 1600 miles and even that was just bad luck - it was an industrial staple that went right through the tyre.

I was forever getting punctures on my Giant Roam 3 hybrid bike so I recently switched to Marathon Plus tyres and slimed tubes. I can definitely feel the extra weight but aside from that, so far so good, not a single puncture.
Isn't any puncture bad luck?

Related Articles

Advertisers