Punctureseal

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Just wondering, has anyone used this product?

Welcome to Punctureseal - The Revolutionary Puncture Prevention System

I used something maybe 17 years ago on my road bike that I used to get to work. I remember that the shop where I bought it from had an inner tube with about 50 nails in it and you were invited to bang in a nail to see it work. I did, and I was sold. In all the time I had the bike, I never had a puncture, and to memory, neither did the person I gave the bike to.

Not sure if this is that stuff though.

John

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've tried similar products, "Slime" being the famous one. I've found them universally almost useless, far too often not doing the job and leaving the tube a sticky wet mess making the puncture almost impossible to repair on the road. When wheels are easily accessible, I think just repairing the puncture or swapping the tube is best, and for "difficult" wheels, I just fit a Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre which almost totally eliminates the possibility of a puncture.

The origins of these products were in the emergency sealing of tubeless tyres on cars, but they don't work anywhere near as well in a tube within a tyre. The simple reason is that they need air to harden and seal, but when leaking from a tube, they don't meet air but are in the tube/tyre interface.

On your Comfort GTS, I'd go for Marathon Plus as soon as possible, particularly on the rear.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Marathon Plus tyres, ok. I dont want to damage all of the bits on the handlebar though, what should I do, disconnect them all or just turn the bike upside down ona towel or something. Any suggestions?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's something I've got fed up with over the years John, and on my Torq I did this about it.

I've done nothing on the Twist to protect it, but the most vulnerable bit is the switch which can be broken, so it's best to either detach that or rotate it on the bars, then upside down on a towel or similar. The bell is a bit vulnerable too.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I laid my bike upside down on the grass with a towel between them. As long as you're not bashing down hard on the bike it shouldn't cause any damage.

Plus another thumbs up for the Marathon Plus from me. Superb performance - no punctures in 7,000 miles (touch wood!)

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
You would have thought that by now, someone somewhere would have found a way of not knackering the bits on the handlebar when turning the bike over (some sort of guard or other), I mean EVERYONE has to repair punctures sometime or other. Flecc, I like your solution, but that wont work on a Twist..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, that's right John, the Twist needs a similar solution but with different components. The front wheel on my Twist Lite with V brakes isn't a problem as I can drop out the wheel instantly and sit the bike upright on the fork ends and crankcase. The Marathon Plus answers the rear problem. On the Comfort you've got the hub brakes etc complicating matters, so only a pair of those tyres is a solution, albeit rather expensive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In fact John, to plagiarise your words, someone somewhere has found a solution. Namely the internationally famous English bike designer Mike Burrows. His solution is single sided wheel support so that tyres and tubes can be removed from the side of the bike, car fashion.

Currently, bikes with this feature are the Halfway folder that Mike designed for Giant, his 8-freight heavy load carrying bike, his Ratcatcher sports recumbent, and a bike that's an alternative to a folder, one that sits ultra slim against a wall.

His bikes are hand made and accordingly fairly expensive, but the Giant halfway is at a normal midpoint price for a quality folder. We just need an enlightened manufacturer to design this feature into a good electric now.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Kevlar tyres and slime have rescued me on my commute along the Ripley Glassway(Greenway). Ever since Amber Valley Council started recycling glass, the local kids have a smashing day the night before collection!

The only puncture I had on the suede was due to a rough seam on the wheel rim itself. The tyre deflated by 2/3 and became a bit of a hazard on corners. Since then I bought a pump. Either way I would prefer to change out a tube at home rather than walk 6,7,8 miles.
The Giant suede comes with kevlar and slime from new. Generally recognisable by the green tyre valves.
Andrew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The glass smashing has developed into a sport round my area Andrew, maybe the same is happening there. The name of the game is to achieve the best fragmentation and they have techniques for that, and even a current champion on my estate, 13 year old Mason!

Waste of time remonstrating with them, it's boredom versus bottles, I just defeat them with the Marathon Plus tyres.

It's strange how many find slime successful as you have, while others like me don't. I've tried it on bikes and trailer tyres and at every puncture get greeted by a flat tyre with green ooze coming out and refusing to congeal until it's right out, not enabling re-pumping.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
not sure what the giant comes with.. maxxis I think.
I keep asking myself why amber valley council wants to recycle glass and not plastic.. after all we are not going to run out of sand anytime soon..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, Giant usually use Maxxis, and I've found they puncture all too easily.

I think with all local authorities, glass and paper were easy options to start with as there were plenty of places to send them, and when those dried up, they did no harm in landfill. Plastic recycling facilities are still as scarce as hens teeth, and also very narrow in scope. Two of the most abundant plastics, expanded polystyrene and polythene still have no recycling facilities to the best of my knowledge. The trouble is that both are dirt cheap to make new, so there's no stimulus for recycling. They need legislation to force the issue.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I have a couple of the combined CO2/Slime cannisters in my panniers ready for emergencies. Thankfully, I've never had to use them due to the Marathon tyres!

I've tried similar products, "Slime" being the famous one. I've found them universally almost useless, far too often not doing the job and leaving the tube a sticky wet mess making the puncture almost impossible to repair on the road. When wheels are easily accessible, I think just repairing the puncture or swapping the tube is best, and for "difficult" wheels, I just fit a Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre which almost totally eliminates the possibility of a puncture.