Purchased a 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent
I’ve had mine a week and never been off it.
It’s got me back pedalling for the first time in years and I’m loving it more than I even thought.
Bought the 19 frame but thought it felt cramped so swooped for 21 which is bigger but feels better.
Going to invest in a litelok belt lock coz I’m petrified someone is going to try to nick it!!
You’re hooked like the rest of us :D

Reactions: Francis Albert

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The Topeka Explorer 29er rack came in handy today when collecting two pairs of shoes i'd had delivered to my local supermarket..

Some cheap £30 waterproof shoes for cycling (colour co-ordinated in blue to match my bike, naturally :))...

;) they look better there £170 tho

Francis Albert

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 19, 2018
Manchester
Update.
Had my Cube reaction hybrid pro 500 5 weeks.
No problems at all once I had ironed out the pre delivery woes from the apathetic store I got it from.
260 miles and I love the thing.
Mostly doing cycle routes,old railways etc but some roads so have front and rear lights,bright ones so I'm seen a little bit better.
Wish I'd got a full suspension bike as at speed some trails bounce me about but as a £2000 bike as it is I'm in no way disappointed.
I am doing 25/30 mile trips and still having three bars left though I'm not using turbo or emtb much mostly tour and using the smooth shifting gears a lot so figure on a range of 40+ or 25 ish in the woods climbing more.
The bike is very heavy but this is not noticed on the move but steps and styles etc are awkward.
Brakes strong the whole thing works wonderfully as you might expect for the price but it puts me in places I thought my poorly knees wouldn't take me and like my old Alfa I like looking at the cube...it looks cool,goes great and at 0% finance well they are giving it away for free.:)

Reactions: Parky

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Update.
Had my Cube reaction hybrid pro 500 5 weeks.
No problems at all once I had ironed out the pre delivery woes from the apathetic store I got it from.
260 miles and I love the thing.
Mostly doing cycle routes,old railways etc but some roads so have front and rear lights,bright ones so I'm seen a little bit better.
Wish I'd got a full suspension bike as at speed some trails bounce me about but as a £2000 bike as it is I'm in no way disappointed.
I am doing 25/30 mile trips and still having three bars left though I'm not using turbo or emtb much mostly tour and using the smooth shifting gears a lot so figure on a range of 40+ or 25 ish in the woods climbing more.
The bike is very heavy but this is not noticed on the move but steps and styles etc are awkward.
Brakes strong the whole thing works wonderfully as you might expect for the price but it puts me in places I thought my poorly knees wouldn't take me and like my old Alfa I like looking at the cube...it looks cool,goes great and at 0% finance well they are giving it away for free.:)
Also try dropping tyre pressure, 30psi good place to start. You have motor so rolling resistance isn't an issue and range doesn't seem to be for most of your rides.

Reactions: Francis Albert

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland
I'll check them now....good idea.....thanks.
Has anyone else wore out their smallest rear cog? Im doing 26k commute to work and back, mostly in the highest gear, with a dongle, flat to the mat...

This seems to have worn down my teeth on the lowest smallest rear cog. Im getting the whole set replaced with a smaller tighter groupset this week but was wondering if any other big mile big speed users have done the same?

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
I found stepping up the front sprocket from 15 teeth to 20 helped .I had the same issue now find I rarely use smallest gear , well maybe downhill going for a new p.b ! I must admit I’m not using a dongle though or turbo mode . What total mileage are you up to ? Is your chain ok I’ve heard of them being replaced after 1500mile

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Try alternating chainring sizes eg 15-18 every time you replace chains should spread wear between few gears.
I find on road that I ride at 22-27km/h spending most of my time between 2 gears.

Long term Rohloff hub would be ideal but for price you can buy a lot of cassettes and chains.

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland
I found stepping up the front sprocket from 15 teeth to 20 helped .I had the same issue now find I rarely use smallest gear , well maybe downhill going for a new p.b ! I must admit I’m not using a dongle though or turbo mode . What total mileage are you up to ? Is your chain ok I’ve heard of them being replaced after 1500mile
Not sure of the miles. Its 250km per week but im rarely getting a full week as meeting and work require the car alot.

Im getting the chain replaced as well as the casset. £55. The new PB may be very interesting with the lower teeth range...

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
For anybody who has increased the front sproket size - what number did you go for and did you need to lengthen the chain any? Thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can go up to 20t anything more than that will effect climbing and harder to ride.

i tried a 25t and the bike was so hard to get going i had to stand up to peddle.

DSC_0669_01.JPG thats to short.
DSC_0700.JPG
i think that was 4 extra links.

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
20 teeth is the max I think I should have added a few links as the chain seems tight on the largest gear ( rather like sound waves pic above !)but I don’t use it as don’t have any hills that require it on my commute

Kimbo

Just Joined
May 26, 2018
So any recommendation for mudguards for this bike?

I'll be needing them over the winter for commuting. I quite like the look of the ones that Cube fit to their 'all road' models, but they are £50..

I also bought the Race 500 and been looking at mudguards. Waiting for the bike I bought a couple of SKS Bluemels P65 but it's to tight of a fit. Since the Pro Allroad uses the same type tires as the Race 500 I figure those mudguards would fit (even though they are pricey). But I can't for the life of me find which model they are using, you don't happen to remember?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Since the Pro Allroad uses the same type tires as the Race 500 I figure those mudguards would fit (even though they are pricey). But I can't for the life of me find which model they are using, you don't happen to remember?
Im not sure if they appear on Cube website?

I ended up fitting the SKS Beavertail mudguard to the rear of my Race 500 (Halfords £15) which fit perfect under my Topeak rack.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've gone for SKS VELO 65 MOUNTAIN 29. Better coverage, need to order fork leg mount points separately.

See my Trek Powerfly7 review thread.

Its possible to add lights that are wired into motor. I found price was getting up there so put on hold for now. Besides light cost (Euro30 -300) will also need handlebar mounting bracket and bosch lighting cable (Euro 12+8).

Last edited: