Quality Step Through for the Larger Chap!

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I currently have a KTM Macina Cross 10 with comfort cross bar and with the Bosch Performance Line CX motor. (Only done 148 miles).
I'm having a new knee in August and possibly the other one doing next year. I got the Bike to strengthen my quads as my knee is weak due to no kneecap. I've been recommended to change to a step through for ease of mounting/dismounting.
I love the KTM but wonder if there are any other makes I should look at.
I'm 6ft 5in and about 18 stone and find the Bosch Performance Line has the power to move me.
Any suggestions (apart from lose weight!)? Budget IRO £2k.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello BigG,

you should look for a bike with a throttle, just in case you can't pedal.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
A great suggestion.... I hadn't thought about a throttle. Any thoughts about a suitable model?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there are a few. You should pop in a couple of bike shops and have a look.
We are in Essex and sell a lot of step-through bikes but we sell mainly mail order,
For your reference, I would recommend our Big Bear LS
http:/wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear-ls

Reactions: BigG

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Corratec do strengthened step bike for larger riders, not sure if it is in UK. Prices tend to be competitive. Reise & Mueller also do CX drive Nevo for riders upto 1.95m, very well specced with price to match.

Check out Cube Delhi range.

Last edited:
  • Informative

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A Cube would be similar quality to a KTM, and the OP has the Cube Centre at Infinity Cycles in Langley Moor, County Durham, in easy reach.

A Riese and Muller Nevo might arguably be slightly better quality than a KTM or Cube.

Riese and Muller bikes are being more widely distributed, but a Nevo is nearer £3k and I suspect getting to see or try one before buying will still be difficult.

https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/e-bike/nevo/

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I currently have a KTM Macina Cross 10 with comfort cross bar and with the Bosch Performance Line CX motor. (Only done 148 miles).
I'm having a new knee in August and possibly the other one doing next year. I got the Bike to strengthen my quads as my knee is weak due to no kneecap. I've been recommended to change to a step through for ease of mounting/dismounting.
I love the KTM but wonder if there are any other makes I should look at.
I'm 6ft 5in and about 18 stone and find the Bosch Performance Line has the power to move me.
Any suggestions (apart from lose weight!)? Budget IRO £2k.
.. the Raliegh Motus is specified to 120 kg, and your 18 stone is 115. So just about at the limit. .. and within your budget, unfortunately has the Bosch active 2 , which has less power but more range.

• Informative

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Corratec do strengthened step bike for larger riders, not sure if it is in UK. Prices tend to be competitive. Reise & Mueller also do CX drive Nevo for riders upto 1.95m, very well specced with price to match.

Check out Cube Delhi range.
Langley Moor is fairly near so I'll pop in to check out the Cube Delhi as suggested. Thanks
I tested a Kalkhoff today and it made me realise my frame is far too small for me!