Question about Walk Assist on Shimano Steps

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
Gazelle are kindly loaning me one of their ebikes to test ride for a month, here in the US it is branded EasyFlow but in the UK/EU it is the Gazelle Ami C8 HMS. It has a Shimano Steps E6000 motor but no throttle. I am a utility cyclist and intend to tow a trailer and go shopping. On my own ebike I like to use the throttle just to get going when stopped facing up hill. The Gazelle is a pedelec but has walk assist, I've used walk assist on my Bafang BBS01 to push my bike up ramps but I was wondering can the walk assist feature on Shimano Steps be used when riding to get going from a stop? I just need a little boost to help start pedalling when carrying or towing a load, or is the torque sensor sensitive enough to read the pedal pressure and kick in right away? Cheers for the advice, I'll post my experience using the bike after I pick it up next weekend and had a chance to ride it for a bit.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It should start easily enough, that is why throttles aren't mounted on EU bikes, you don't really need one. I have a 12 magnet PAS and that starts after 2 magnets pass the sensor.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
I'm hoping it will provide enough assistance to shift heavy weight from a stop, but I don't want to damage the bike as it's a loaner.

Someone on another forum suggested Shimano sell a larger rear sprocket that would change the gear ratios to make pedalling easier.

Last edited:

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
I have an E6000, when it is in walk assist, there is no pedal assist it is not very good, as you have to hold your finger on the button.

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
Yes someone on the other forum posted a link to this video which at the 12:10 mark demonstrates how walk assist works on the E6000. It does look too cumbersome to use when riding.

• Agree

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
You shouldn't any problems getting started, just make sure you are low gear. If bike has IGH then even better as you can shift when stopped.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Walk assistance on my bike is a waste of a button if you ask me
Hold the button in and balance the bike at the same time it's just a nightmare.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most are as bad, not enough power to get up a steeper slope and awkward to use.

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
I rode my BBS01 without the throttle for about 18 months and found walk assist was helpful when I was pushing the bike. I recently had the bike converted from derailleur to an IGH and took the opportunity to fit the throttle to see what the fuss was about and find the throttle useful to get going when I’m towing the trailer. On balance I’d rather have walk assist on a pedelec, here in the US Trek disable the function on their Bosch pedelecs which is clearly a lawyer determined piece of stupid corporate liability BS, there’s no logic to it when they also sell Shimano Steps pedelecs with walk assist and speed pedelecs in those states where they’re illegal to ride on roads.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
E6010 here and as others have already said, the walk assist is rubbish. Stick it in High, be in the right gear, and you'll pull away fine though.

Gaz

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I've seen the Bosch walk assist reprogrammed for max speed,so it works like a push-button throttle. I bet the Shimano can do the same, but you need access to the programming software.

• Informative