QWIC Smart e4 Urban 7

5threeone

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
.............. Two days of experience will not give me too much to report. However, I can pass this on....I have been a touring cyclist since 1952. Always had 531 hand made machines. The one I just sold was a Gilles Berthoud. Of late, the hills have become difficult. So, when I started looking at electric bicycles I wanted a folder (for occasional folding) and unquestionable component quality. Eventually, I settled on Qwic Smart e7. My findings are completely re-assuring. I have a robust machine. The instant assistance when I take up pedalling, the range of assistance and the 7 gear hub are a dream for someone who has been grovelling so much this past year.
Yesterday afternoon I cruised around on the level, finished with a 1 km long moderate climb, spent most of the time on power 2 and in gear 4. Battery level has hardly dropped on the graph. Today I went out on errands in blazer and trousers with good shoes. So this Qwic is versatile. In a way, from being an express train for years, I have now become an 'urban stopper'. I have made changes to the machine that reflect my preferences.
Will post details another time. Pleased with my Qwic would be an understatement.

markrl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 18, 2014
London
That's very good to here. I am very interested in the QWIC P-RD9s but the dealer/importer in Rye in East Sussex doesn't at the moment have a test machine to ride and the largest battery option (a whopping 735 Wh) is currently unavailable and on back order until October. They look like really nice bikes and I may have to go to my sister in laws in Amsterdam to actually try one.

Reactions: 5threeone

5threeone

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Building my usage......12 days up to July 12th. 276 kms. What has been my experience? Top of the range quality components very evident. About 110 kms on a charge (2 bars left) over mixed terrain with quite a few hills. I made some changes.......
1. swopped the non-reach handlebar stem for one that puts me forward by 80mm. (£15.00) 2. Took off the folding pedals and fitted road pedals with short toe clips but no straps. (out of my box of bits and pieces) 3. Added a front carrier using the 'v' brake mountings. (cost £9.00) 5. Fitted my Brooks B17 saddle, and for the future... 4. I will change the 16 sprocket on the Nexus hub for an 18 tooth and thus lower the whole range of the 7 gears. The highs are much too high for me. Overall, a faultless machine and worth the extra outlay. No regrets.

5threeone

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
That's very good to here. I am very interested in the QWIC P-RD9s but the dealer/importer in Rye in East Sussex doesn't at the moment have a test machine to ride and the largest battery option (a whopping 735 Wh) is currently unavailable and on back order until October. They look like really nice bikes and I may have to go to my sister in laws in Amsterdam to actually try one.
I am sure that waiting until you can get to Amsterdam will be worth the wait. The importers in Rye are keen people and good to business with but don't seem to be promoting the range. I would not have known they existed, or Qwic bikes, for that matter, unless I had found their 'buy it now' for the Qwic Urban 4 smart e7 on EBay. And that in itself is far too much of a mouthful from a promotion angle. Qwic e7 would do! Anyway, I am not at all dissappointed with my purchase and am using it daily.

5threeone

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
My Qwic Electric folder has now done 2500 kms. In 6 months. It has been faultless. More than a few people have commented on the quality finish. My own observation is that there is not another folding electric bicycle that comes anywhere near it.
Never less than 80 kms on a charge.
I did increase the sprocket size from 16 to a 19 and found it suited me better. Lowered the whole range of gears. Added a bottle cage with some Zefal fittings. Fitted a front carrier which carries Karrimor front bags for touring/shopping.

Attachments

5threeone

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Recently, in the winds I felt a bit too "sit up and beg" at times. I have been used to a conventional touring machine before going electric. A little more aerodynamic. So today in forty minutes wielding the hacksaw I reduced the stem length by 30 mm. Now my bars are just below saddle nose level. Much better.

Attachments

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
I saw these bikes on youtube. The video clip made the bike sound quite noisey. Is this the case?