Raleigh Captus

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
After 2 weeks with my Raleigh Captus I thought I'd give a quick review. To recap, I've had 2 previous ebikes, but this is my first crank motor and the difference at low speed and on hills is notable.

It is the 26'wheel version, with a Bosch motor and a larger battery than was shown on the spec. Being teal it's a bit more girly than I would have liked, although less so than the Modus which is pink and white. Being short the size is perfect for me, also the Dutch style handlebars easier to reach than the straight ones on my Giant Twist Lite.

Early impressions are very good, especially the ease at which it climbs on 'turbo power, the immediate power on setting off (hub had a few seconds delay before power kicked in) and the general handling that so far seems secure. It came with a good Bosch manual, and a pretty useless Raleigh one. The hub gears, which are new to me, work well, although getting the changing right is not automatic yet and I need to think about it. More mileage should sort this.

The suspension forks are another new feature for me, and as I seldom ride off road or hard paths such as canal paths, I'm sceptical about their benefit. At the moment I've turned them off, if you know what I mean, but might try them later when I get used to the handling of the bike.

The Bosch controls are easy to operate, change power etc. So far I think most riding will be in 'tour' which shows a range of 50mls on a fully charged battery. I was wondering if others remove the control when parking their bike away from home or have put the screw in to permanently secure it?

That's about it for now, I'm very happy with my bike so far, also the service from the dealer, a small local bike shop that delivered it ready to ride with panniers and a lock supplied.

Lastly, thanks to all who gave me advice to help me make my decision. If it gives as much pleasure as the Giant has, then it's money well spent.

Rosie

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
First impressions count - you are off to a good start, so all should be well.

I rarely leave my bike unattended, but take the display with me if I do.

Strictly, it's not an immobilizer, they are universal.

That cuts both ways, if you do lose or break it, you can buy a new one which will work without the need to be coded.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
After 2 weeks with my Raleigh Captus I thought I'd give a quick review. To recap, I've had 2 previous ebikes, but this is my first crank motor and the difference at low speed and on hills is notable.

It is the 26'wheel version, with a Bosch motor and a larger battery than was shown on the spec. Being teal it's a bit more girly than I would have liked, although less so than the Modus which is pink and white. Being short the size is perfect for me, also the Dutch style handlebars easier to reach than the straight ones on my Giant Twist Lite.

Early impressions are very good, especially the ease at which it climbs on 'turbo power, the immediate power on setting off (hub had a few seconds delay before power kicked in) and the general handling that so far seems secure. It came with a good Bosch manual, and a pretty useless Raleigh one. The hub gears, which are new to me, work well, although getting the changing right is not automatic yet and I need to think about it. More mileage should sort this.

The suspension forks are another new feature for me, and as I seldom ride off road or hard paths such as canal paths, I'm sceptical about their benefit. At the moment I've turned them off, if you know what I mean, but might try them later when I get used to the handling of the bike.

The Bosch controls are easy to operate, change power etc. So far I think most riding will be in 'tour' which shows a range of 50mls on a fully charged battery. I was wondering if others remove the control when parking their bike away from home or have put the screw in to permanently secure it?

That's about it for now, I'm very happy with my bike so far, also the service from the dealer, a small local bike shop that delivered it ready to ride with panniers and a lock supplied.

Lastly, thanks to all who gave me advice to help me make my decision. If it gives as much pleasure as the Giant has, then it's money well spent.

Rosie

How are you getting on with it now?

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Great thanks. Only done about 200 miles and enjoying it very much. It rides pretty much like a regular bike and no problem riding slowly in crowded places, unlike my previous bikes which needed to keep the speed up to get power. The bike is without problem so far and the battery capacity is far more than I'll ride in a day, so all good. I took it for it's six week service, which I presume is a once over and tighten a few screws, but handy if there had been any issues. O/h has just bought himself a new hybrid and it's unlikely I'll be able to keep up on flat terrain, but on those hills I'll be whizzing by him.

BTW, for you experts out there, I tend to do trips around 10 miles and charge every two, however I think I read that these Bosch batteries last longest if charged every trip. Any comments please? Thanks, Rosie.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Recharging after 20 miles is fine.

All ebike batteries work better and last a bit longer if used well-charged rather than nearly empty.

But equally, the capacity is there to be used which is what you are doing.

Probably best not to routinely flatten the battery, although the Bosch system has protective circuitry to prevent you damaging the battery, even if you wanted to.

If you rode the bike until the motor stopped working the battery wouldn't be dead flat, the system cuts power to the motor before any harm can be done to the battery.

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Recharging after 20 miles is fine.

All ebike batteries work better and last a bit longer if used well-charged rather than nearly empty.

But equally, the capacity is there to be used which is what you are doing.

Probably best not to routinely flatten the battery, although the Bosch system has protective circuitry to prevent you damaging the battery, even if you wanted to.

If you rode the bike until the motor stopped working the battery wouldn't be dead flat, the system cuts power to the motor before any harm can be done to the battery.
Thanks Robf, much appreciated.

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
I've now had my Captus six months, and over a few winter months in Spain increased the mileage to 500. It continues to be a delight, and as predicted, moves easily up hills. The torque system enables me to ride hills and into wind at a nice controlled pace allowing hubby on his manual bike to follow closely. Of course on the flat, in calm conditions, he's not waiting for me.

Out there Ebikes amongst the motor home community far outnumber 'normal bikes. I met several people with Bosch powered bikes and without exception the all loved them. Also, all the bike shops sold a selection of ebikes, but at similar, or even higher prices than here.

I had only one issue with my bike. Each time I finished using it I removed the controller on the handlebar (can't recall the proper name without looking it up) and when I put it back on it didn't recognise the battery was on. Taking it off and putting it back on again worked every time, but I worried that it might not work. In a few weeks I'm going to go back to the dealer for my six month service and wonder if this is worth mentioning?

Rosie

JuzzyD

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2016
Berkshire
Good to hear that you still like it.

How are you finding the brakes?

I'm considering changing my Ebco UCR 10 for a Bosch powered bike, and the Captus is one that I'm considering.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Mostly interested what the ebikes are like after 18 months and 5000 miles. Even my Cyclamatic made eight months and a 1000 miles. I expect to buy an ebike after I retire in March. Local shop choice is between Kalkhoff (best performance and cheaper) and Raleigh (reliability and better service). Neither have a throttle so I am not sure how good either are as a mobility aid when the knee becomes too painful.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Estimated use in 2 years (length of warranty) 3000 miles. Cost £1500. That is 50 pence per mile or £2.40 a day or £72 a month. Not sure it is worth it? An ordinary bike works out at less than £10 per month. Very price conscious. I have known one person to have an ebike for years, outlasted his legs. That was a conversion only used for short distances. He replaced it with a Tramper. http://www.tramper.co.uk/products/scooter

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've now had my Captus six months, and over a few winter months in Spain increased the mileage to 500. It continues to be a delight, and as predicted, moves easily up hills. The torque system enables me to ride hills and into wind at a nice controlled pace allowing hubby on his manual bike to follow closely. Of course on the flat, in calm conditions, he's not waiting for me.

Out there Ebikes amongst the motor home community far outnumber 'normal bikes. I met several people with Bosch powered bikes and without exception the all loved them. Also, all the bike shops sold a selection of ebikes, but at similar, or even higher prices than here.

I had only one issue with my bike. Each time I finished using it I removed the controller on the handlebar (can't recall the proper name without looking it up) and when I put it back on it didn't recognise the battery was on. Taking it off and putting it back on again worked every time, but I worried that it might not work. In a few weeks I'm going to go back to the dealer for my six month service and wonder if this is worth mentioning?

Rosie
The connections on the Intuvia display can be temperamental.

You could try wiping the back of the display and the top of the mount with a dry cloth or dampen the cloth with a tiny amount of light degreaser such as methylated spirit.

I'm not sure why you want to remove the display after each ride, although I usually remove mine at a cafe stop if the bike is going to be out of sight.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015

You could try wiping the back of the display and the top of the mount with a dry cloth or dampen the cloth with a tiny amount of light degreaser such as methylated spirit.

I'm not sure why you want to remove the display after each ride, although I usually remove mine at a cafe stop if the bike is going to be out of sight.
Hearsay reports of quite a few acts of sabotage on electric bikes. One or two I put down to malfunction and others down to attempted theft. This further means I will keep an ordinary bike for shorter journeys.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I doubt an ebike is more prone to wanton vandalism than any other bicycle.

Mine rarely leaves my sight, so if someone wants to sabotage my bike they would have to sabotage me first - I would get extremely grumpy and bad tempered in such a situation.

Inevitably, there are some journeys I would like to make on the ebike which I don't because it would mean leaving it.

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011

Sorry, not been on for awhile. Thx for all your replies. Interesting to know Intuvia can be temperamental. I've cleaned the heads but not used anything else so far. I remove the display when the bike is parked out of sight, like you, but also at night on campsites where the bike is outside, although covered. Also, I remove it when the bike is being transported, although it's covered then too. I might be a bit over cautious I suppose as it's now removed while my bike is in my garage-still covered though.

Rosie

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Sorry, not been on for awhile. Thx for all your replies. Interesting to know Intuvia can be temperamental. I've cleaned the heads but not used anything else so far. I remove the display when the bike is parked out of sight, like you, but also at night on campsites where the bike is outside, although covered. Also, I remove it when the bike is being transported, although it's covered then too. I might be a bit over cautious I suppose as it's now removed while my bike is in my garage-still covered though.

Rosie
Displays have been known to give trouble if the bracket bolts are too tight.

It would be worth loosening the bolts so the bracket moves, them nipping them up only as tight as to hold the bracket in place.

That's all the bolts need to do, they don't hold the bike together.

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks RobF. Been for 6 month service today (was free)and mentioned your suggestion to mechanic who loosened and tightened the bolts. Only used it when I arrived home, but the Intuvia worked first time, so hopefully it'll be ok. Otherwise all was fine, apart from a little rust on the pedals. The shop kindly replaced the pedals, which I was pleased about.

Thanks again for your help.

Rosie

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks RobF. Been for 6 month service today (was free)and mentioned your suggestion to mechanic who loosened and tightened the bolts. Only used it when I arrived home, but the Intuvia worked first time, so hopefully it'll be ok. Otherwise all was fine, apart from a little rust on the pedals. The shop kindly replaced the pedals, which I was pleased about.

Thanks again for your help.

Rosie
Good stuff, Rosie.

A decent bike, a decent dealer, and a customer who is decent to deal with usually makes a happy combination.

Some rust on the pedals is not worth worrying about.

Original equipment pedals are not the best, so there's a fair chance the dealer has sorted you something which is a bit better quality.