Raleigh Motus Cross bar. Is upright ridiing style possible

Jimmythenoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2016
Arbroath
I've just had spinal surgery -discectomy and my fitness has detiorated due to other health issues, now resolved. I want to get back on the road and occasional dirt track. I fancy a Raleigh Motus. A local dealer let me try the low step which I liked. He also let me try a Gazelle Orange 7 + HM. It was a bit more twitchy to handle going round corners and fiddly when changing gears. It has a Nexus hub instead of derailleurs. I have also tried a Carrera Crossfire. Great little bike but without the suspension post and the state of the roads I think I didn"t do my back any good. I like the Motus low step and the upright relaxed riding style. I wonder if I would be able to experience the same upright style with the cross bar version? My dealer is reluctant to get one in for demo. Can anyone advise?

Jimmythenoo

Oct 10, 2016
Arbroath
I'm 90 kg and feel the frame would possibly handle better if the battery was near centre. I intend to do the odd commute with panniers too. On top of this I'd like to use it on some gravel/dirt tracks as very occasionally go off the road. Lastly - I don't think the cross bar frame looks so obviously electric and thus draw attention from potential thieves!

evening2005

Jul 31, 2016
UK
I see. That all makes a lot of sense. I asked because my back issue means I can't get my leg over (fnarr fnarr) these days, so I have to use a step-through.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Good that you're managing to get out on a bike though.
Hi as previously mentioned I have a Motus. I deliberately wanted the step through version , for reasons similar to the last poster. Throwing a leg over a high saddle has always struck me as unsafe in traffic and anyway I don't see any particular reason for the crossbar. The OP s concern is whether the suspension post in the saddle helps with back pain. I would think it does . The tyres are highly pressurised, and would otherwise transmit a lot of vibration up the back. There are tarmaced roads in my locality which a very bumpy still, due to the size of the gravel used and I would hate to travel these without suspension. I can feel this vibration even through the suspension post. In fact my 50 year old Moulton does a better job of removing these vibrations . Some commentators suggest that the step through frame is slightly less rigid than a cross bar frame and will therefore damp out more vibrations. If vibration is a real medical issue then probably a bike with a hinged backwheel suspension (e.g mountain bike type )might be necessary.

The riding stance on the Motus is upright with the human back in line with the seat post . I find it comfortable.
In any event the size and the quality of the fittings of the bike will draw attention and there is no disguising it's electric role. I n the step thorough version, The battery pack fits under the carrier and it could carry panniers.
I would not be confident of its role as a off road bike and hope never to put this to the test. The riders stance is very high, the wheels are narrow and it does not have the MTB type rear suspension. On the other hand it would is a great road tourer or commuter bike

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've go my cube set for a comfortable ride :) it doesn't upset my bulging discs :(
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cube-reaction-hybrid-pro29-first-impressions.17754/#post-219290
High rise bars and a NCX seatpost ( lMHO the best sus seat post )
And I'd agree with you about battery location, my cube rides just like my un powered trek hybrid, I did once ride a bike with the battery on a rear rack (while the owner tried my bike) I couldn't wait to give it back but the owner wanted to keep riding mine ;)

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Both Motuses offer an upright position, but that's to generalise.

It may be the step-through is more upright than the cross bar.

Distance between saddle and bars, relative heights of saddle and bars, and shape of bars will all have an impact.

Seeming them both side by side and/or having a go on both is the only way to be certain of the difference.

Jimmythenoo

Oct 10, 2016
Arbroath
Thanks for comments folks.
As long as I will be upright for 90% of the time the Motus low step would do me fine especially with suspension seat post and sprung saddle. If the cross bar version gives me a close equal upright riding style then I'll have it.
Contacted local retailer again about getting a cross bar version in for demo. This is what he has agreed to do.....
I buy a new cross bar version from him. He'll get it in and let me have it for a day. If I decide I don't like it he'll order me a brand new low step and keep the cross bar as a demo..
I think that's fair. Any thoughts?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Sounds good, the other easy solution is to change the handlebars. That will set you back an extra tenner or so.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I do like my wife's low step for getting on and off especially with full panniers or bag on rack. The times I've had panniers on my MTB I tend to clip them mounting. Only down side of low step is battery in rack which can make bike rear heavy if fully loaded.

The NCX suspension seat post is a must if you have back problens.

Reactions: Jimmythenoo

Jimmythenoo

Oct 10, 2016
Arbroath
Just had another go on the low step. I had a great ride on some fairly steep hills and it took me up them without a glitch and the magura rim breaks were so smooth and progressive free wheeling down again!
I didn't even notice that the seat post wasn't even a suspension one. The saddle was just a Raleigh comfort with springs yet it was a very comfortable ride.
One sale made.

Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The Motus does have a suspension saddle post . I found that it has become more compliant with use. If you press down on the saddle you will see the shaft moving slightly . Glad you are enjoying it.

Jimmythenoo

Oct 10, 2016
Arbroath
Loving my Motus X- Bar.
Picked it up on Saturday. Did 8 miles (in patchy rain). On Sunday morning I noticed I had a flat front tyre. I found that the cause was a hard bit of rubberised fabric on the inner side of the tyre. I rubbed it down with emery cloth. So much for puncture resistant Schwalbe Energiser Life tyres .. Why is it I can't find these tyres on Google search?
And what's this....the quick release lever has been removed from the Magura rim brakes meaning a Torx tool is needed to partially disassemble it so you can remove the wheel...? Why?
Whilst tinkering with my bike handle bar and saddle settings I noticed the magnetic "button" for the speed sensor wasn't exactly in line (OCD coming out here). So I moved it about 0.8 cm further along the spoke so it sat dead centre with the sensor on the left chain stay.
I had a great run on my 8 mile route until I came to the dreaded hill climb near the end when the bike just went haywire. The speed display went erratic and the motor input kept cutting in and out until an "error code 503" was displayed.
Contacted my dealer who confirmed my thoughts.... Moving the magnet had made a difference in the sensors ability to correctly calculate the speed and correspondingly determine motor input!
Anyway. It's sorted again.
My wife and daughter have both had a quick go on the bike and have been amazed!
I'll do a full review after a few weeks and post a copy on here.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
About the position of the sensor . The magnet on the spoke has to be offset with respect to the mounting screw on the sensor. Move the magnet Towards the rim by about a finger knuckle from the mounting screw. There is a line etched on the sensor housing denoting the correct position.T he Bosch manual page 3 drawing B shows it clearly. I had also moved the sensor in a error to correct a different perceived fault. I had erratic performance on my first ride and I assumed like you that it was a misplaced sensor. The symptom was that the machine lost power and the speedometer digits on the display disappeared. The rest of the display was OK. In my case it was the main battery moving due to the lock not catching. My interim solution to this is to help secure it with a bungee cord. I will see can the catch be adjusted when I bring it for the first service.

Reactions: Jimmythenoo

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
So much for puncture resistant Schwalbe Energiser Life tyres .. Why is it I can't find these tyres on Google search?
And what's this....the quick release lever has been removed from the Magura rim brakes meaning a Torx tool is needed to partially disassemble it so you can remove the wheel...? Why?
OEM versions I guess.

The lever on the brake is an unpleasant surprise! I would complain about that. Never leave home without your Torx :)

Jimmythenoo

Oct 10, 2016
Arbroath
OEM versions I guess.

The lever on the brake is an unpleasant surprise! I would complain about that. Never leave home without your Torx :)
Yes. I was quite disappointed about the lever being missing. I spotted it when I collected the bike. The dealer just blagged it. He said some people had said it was easier to steal the wheels when the levers were fitted. I'd rather have the lever. Especially if your going to get a puncture in your first 8 miles!