Raleigh Motus Grand Tour Hub Gears

George&Ade

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 12, 2018
Hi.Just introduced myself now down to the nitty gritty..lol
Ive had my Pulse ZL2 for about 6 weeks now but am looking to upgrade asap.
Ive done a great deal of research on the internet and narrowed it down to one bike.
Raleigh Motus Grand Tour Crossbar Hub Gears.
I find my Pulse ZL2 a little too upright for me,also (being a cheaper e bike,find the brakes a little unnerving at times)
Battery only lasts for about 15-18 miles (my commute is mainly flat where I dont use any assistance,and find it pretty hard work without any assistance even on flat ground)
I do realise that the bike is quite heavy so this obviously wont help.
A friend of mine has the Raleigh which ive set my heart on and after having a spin on it....im hooked,but would appreciate any advice/info from anyone here who may have the similar Raleigh bike.
Oh....anyone want to buy a pristine condition Pulse? ;)
Many thanks.
Adrian

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As you are discovering 'get what you pay for' applies to ebikes as much as it does any other consumer goodie.

The Motus is a decent Bosch powered ebike, although there are lots of others with the same motor which will be of similar quality.

How long is the commute?

Some Motuses come with the smaller, 400wh battery.

George&Ade

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks for reply Rob.
Ive only got a 8 mile round trip daily,but using the bike keeps the mileage down on the car and the wear and tear.
I found my friends Raleigh very comfortable and effortless to ride with the majority of weight low down in the centre of the bike.
At the moment,ive got the battery in the rear pannier,the hub at the rear and it feels a tad light at the front.
I also like the idea of being able to switch between having the front suspension on or off.
Im only a complete newbie to ebikes,but I understand although the Bosh drive unit and the Hub gear system is obviously more expensive to purchase,but if looked after will last longer than say,my set up with derailier gears and rear hub.
The Raleigh would be ideal for me for weekends also for round trips of approx.30-50 miles(driven as economical as possible of course)
Also with this type of bike,there could be a possibility of selling my car and just using the wifes as and when neccessary.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Ideal length commute, short enough to be able to do it year round and in bad weather.

Not much point in looking any further than a Motus, it's a nice well-proven bike and, importantly, you've tried it and liked it.

I can't see any point in lock-out front suspension, you might, but my guess is you won't bother with it after initial experimentation.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Hello, also just joined up. I have just bought (a month ago) a step through, derailleur version of the Motus Grand Tour. Now completed 200 miles.

I don't bother with locking out the fork and I can certainly put your mind at rest regarding the battery. I easily get 50 miles in Tour mode and 70/80 in eco. My commute is a fairly flat 8 mile round trip.

Don't understand the advantages of hub gears enough to have strong opinion but I have to admit to not giving them a second's thought. There is a wider range with the derailleur, a more effective top gear and the trigger style selector is brilliant.

I have had zero issues with the bike and could not recommend it more highly.

I hope this helps with your thoughts!

Reactions: arao99 and Danidl

George&Ade

Aug 12, 2018
Thank you Poolepete.
Great bit of info.
Being an ebike newbie,I go mainly on info on internet and reviews like yours.
I beleive the hub gear(if properly looked after and not abused)requires very little maintenance or adjustment and has 8 gears which can also be selected when standing still.
Very often I forget to change down at junctions etc. and find myself in too high a gear to pull away.(must be my age)
The overall mileage sounds great.
Thanks once again

Reactions: Poolepete

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The 8spd nexus hub has able range of gears, with 15mph cutoff you will find 7th and 8th only used downhill when exceeding 15mph. If you need a slightly lower 1st for very steeps its possible to fit large hub sprocket or small crank chain ring. Need to stay within Nexus recommend 2.0-2.1 sprocket to chainring ratio eg 19t sprocket with 38t chainring gives 2.0.

Its possible to fit Chainglide enclosed chain cover for very low maintenance.
Thank you Poolepete.
Great bit of info.
Being an ebike newbie,I go mainly on info on internet and reviews like yours.
I beleive the hub gear(if properly looked after and not abused)requires very little maintenance or adjustment and has 8 gears which can also be selected when standing still.
Very often I forget to change down at junctions etc. and find myself in too high a gear to pull away.(must be my age)
The overall mileage sounds great.
Thanks once again

Reactions: arao99

George&Ade

Aug 12, 2018
Thank you Trevormonty.
Far too technical for me..lol
I just like the sound of the simplicity of a hub gear with possibly less maintenance and adjustments over a period of time.
Also,im starting a new job shortly at a hospital and bike will be left outside (securely locked to posts cemented into ground)so hopefully there would be no "accidental knocking" of the derallier gear and causing damage to it.
Wouldnt like to come out after work to find it dangling down by the cable where someone has damaged it.
Thanks once again.
Adrian

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi.Just introduced myself now down to the nitty gritty..lol
Ive had my Pulse ZL2 for about 6 weeks now but am looking to upgrade asap.
Ive done a great deal of research on the internet and narrowed it down to one bike.
Raleigh Motus Grand Tour Crossbar Hub Gears.
I find my Pulse ZL2 a little too upright for me,also (being a cheaper e bike,find the brakes a little unnerving at times)
Battery only lasts for about 15-18 miles (my commute is mainly flat where I dont use any assistance,and find it pretty hard work without any assistance even on flat ground)
I do realise that the bike is quite heavy so this obviously wont help.
A friend of mine has the Raleigh which ive set my heart on and after having a spin on it....im hooked,but would appreciate any advice/info from anyone here who may have the similar Raleigh bike.
Oh....anyone want to buy a pristine condition Pulse? ;)
Many thanks.
Adrian
I have the Motus for about 2 years now. It is a fine sturdy bike, sort of old fashioned in the Dutch manner, but very comfortable ,and the upright stance Safe. I have done 2500 km on it, as I am now retired and go out at leisure... . The only deterioration in that time has been one rusty screw on the mudguard. .. . I have replaced booth tyres and have discovered that you can replace the tubes which have the awful ( to my mind) bicycle valves with the more user friendly car valve

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
alternatively, you could get this 'Serious Unrivaled 8 City Bike' with Nexus 8 hub gear for £308 and add a BBS01 or TSDZ2 chain drive kit to it for about £650 - £700.

https://www.bikester.co.uk/serious-unrivaled-8-bike-white-406666.html

If you don't want to convert it yourself, take the bike to Southend and I'll do it for you. I can fit chain cover and mudguards at the same time.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Regarding hub and dereilluir gears, there is little to choose. Hubs are a little less efficient, but hey there is an electric motor. The bosch is clever enough to reduce power when gear changing so there is no grinding with the dereilliers . I have the dereilliur but in truth i soend most of my time in mid gear ,and only go up and down by two , clicks so a five speed would be ample.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
heck I think I'm running around 2.75 ish
Higher than 2.0 is Ok, lower isn't. Wifes bike came with 19:45 = 2.5. If Gen2 Bosch motor with small chainring then multiple by 2.5 first. Eg 18t chainring = 45.

I replaced the 18T chainring with 16T to give 19:40 =2.1. Alternatively could fitted larger rear spocket eg 22T but that would've need new longer chain.

I had to move wheel back slightly which meant moving spocket magnet for speed sensor back slightly. Note position of magnet before starting and do good test ride afterwards with screwdriver to adjust magnet if need be.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Thank you Trevormonty.
Far too technical for me..lol
I just like the sound of the simplicity of a hub gear with possibly less maintenance and adjustments over a period of time.
Also,im starting a new job shortly at a hospital and bike will be left outside (securely locked to posts cemented into ground)so hopefully there would be no "accidental knocking" of the derallier gear and causing damage to it.
Wouldnt like to come out after work to find it dangling down by the cable where someone has damaged it.
Thanks once again.
Adrian
Removing rear wheel with IGH is not as simple, ask shop to show you how or watch youtube videos. Do it at least once at home, be careful of display and control buttons when resting bike upside down on handle bars. I use block wood under handle bars to keep buttons off ground.

Will need pliers for cable release and spanner (ring best) for wheel nut. In case of wife's bike front wheel nuts were different size so her bike tool kit now has small pliers and 2xring spanners (14mm and 15mm?).

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Regarding hub and dereilluir gears, there is little to choose. Hubs are a little less efficient, but hey there is an electric motor. The bosch is clever enough to reduce power when gear changing so there is no grinding with the dereilliers . I have the dereilliur but in truth i soend most of my time in mid gear ,and only go up and down by two , clicks so a five speed would be ample.
Shimano new nexus 5spd with a 60nm motor (bosch performance or shimano e7000) would be perfect combination. Has less gear range compared to nexus 8spd, 260 vs 305% but more powerful 60nm motor would make up difference on steep hills.

Reactions: Big Vern