Raleigh Motus help please

jayjay

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
This is the Motus bike I tried today and really liked
https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electric-bikes/step-through-frames/raleigh-motus-bronze-step-through-10-speed-electric-bike

it is out of stock and they suggested I buy this
https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electric-bikes/step-through-frames/raleigh-motus-tour-step-through-derailleur-electric-bike-grey-700c

is this OK

also - should I go for the hub gears?( and in easy terms can you tell me why)

New to electric bikes. Live on top of the North Downs - plenty of steep hills. Will use mainly on roads and off on marked trails ( not planning for mountains, mud and "real" off road cycling.
Thank you

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electric-bikes/step-through-frames/raleigh-motus-bronze-step-through-10-speed-electric-bike

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electric-bikes/step-through-frames/raleigh-motus-tour-step-through-derailleur-electric-bike-grey-700c

is this OK

New to electric bikes. Live on top of the North Downs - plenty of steep hills. Will use mainly on roads and off on marked trails ( not planning for mountains, mud and "real" off road cycling.
Thank you
Both bikes listed have Activeline (40nm torque) motor. Not recommended for lot hill climbing. Look for higher spec Motus range that have Activeline Plus (50nm) motor. Try for step through frame which have frame mount battery not rack, better balance bike, especially with full panniers.

jayjay

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
Both bikes listed have Activeline (40nm torque) motor. Not recommended for lot hill climbing. Look for higher spec Motus range that have Activeline Plus (50nm) motor. Try for step through frame which have frame mount battery not rack, better balance bike, especially with full panniers.
Thank you

This bike really felt lovely ...like I had bionic legs. I have heard people say about battery position but it did not feel bad.
Trouble is this is already more expensive than I had intended and lotus with diff battery position is really expensive to me.
Thank you

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Although I have never owned one people speak highly of the motus. You have done the most important thing which is to test ride the bike and like it. Bosch is a quality product. These are their new motors and if there is an issue with them that will appear over time that issue is not known at the moment, although it should have a two year warranty. I like a quiet motor and the least powerful active line motor is the quietest. Although the least powerful, crank drive bikes are good climbers and with a less powerful motor you will climb a little slower in a lower gear and may need to help the motor with your legs a bit more. As I have said it is a well regarded quality bike and if you like it and can afford this model it will be a much better bet than many others.The comment about the position of the battery is correct but if you can afford one but not the other I would not be put off buying the one you can afford by the battery position. Having a good bike shop that can service it when you need it near to you is another consideration that is easy to overlook but is important.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I like the Motus Bronze better.
10 Speed SRAM Via Centro against 9-speed Shimano Acera? No brainer..

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if your budget does not stretch that far, may I suggest the Woosh Santana crank drive? It has a similar arrangement and 9-speed Shimano Deore.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-2018

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I am very happy with my Halfords Crossfuse which has the active line plus (20% more nm). Brakes gears wheels etc all seem to be very high quality. You can get it for about £1400 at any Halfords within a couple of days. I looked at the Raleigh equivalent and although it had some nice extras like fitted mudguards and a stand and the fancier Bosch display, they wanted £1000 more. I think the stand and mudguards cost me £37 fitted by Halfords
Mike

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

is this OK

Thank you
Although, I am male, at least I think so.., that is exactly the same model of motus I have.
The motor and the gearing have been selected as a perfect match for any road or gravel path. I have not found any hill that could not be tackled comfortably in the lower..not even lowest gear, and it is capable of being pedelled at 50 kmhr (without power assistance at that speed). It is a great bike for limited touring and the heavier frame gives great confidence when going over minor potholes.
So one very satisfied user here. .. It is not a racing bike,or a bike for hill hopping off road, but on roads it is excellent. There are always more powerful, lighter, cheaper, flashier products available, but the Motus has got the balance right.. perhaps the saddle might be more forgiving, but that would be my only negative.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
.. don't bother, the active line is fine,with the gear range supplied. These people talking hill climbing are mainly off road fiends. If the county council recognise s the road as being capable of tarmac, the motus with or without panniers and up to the recognised weight limit of 120 kgs will do it.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Jayjay specifically mention steep hills.
My wife has Gen2 and its nice motor but not as powerful as her previous 50nm Shimano Steps ebike. Lost few kmh on most climbs. Extra features and comfort of new bike more than makes up for slower climbing.

The Raleigh Motus Tour Step Through Derailleur Electric Bike Grey 700c with 9spd has lower gearing as it uses 38T chainring vs 18t (45t equivalent) on 10spd bike.
Plus its newer quieter Gen3 motor that is easier to pedal unassisted.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I have the step through Grand Tour. I love it and certainly have no issues with choosing the derailleur option over the hub gears. If you can push your budget the extra £300 for the grand tour then you get the Active Line Plus which is virtually silent in operation as I guess is the new Active Line, ten rather than 9 gears, improved saddle, saddle post suspension, frame lock and frame mounted battery. If budget is already at the top end, I'm sure you will be as happy with this bike as I am with mine.

Last edited:

jayjay

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
Thank you all for your help.
you are all so much more knowledgeable than me.

I had no idea there were so many Raleigh Motus bikes. I am now wondering if I said the wrong one as the one i tried had 10 gears and was a bronze colour.
now I have seen just how many there are I am all the more confused.

I tried the halfords Crossfire again today and did not like the surges of power. I preferred the feel of the Motus -

Just wondered - I tried a Motus with the battery on the pannier rack. some of the more expensive ones have the battery by your legs - is this in the way on a step through?
Thanks

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I had no idea there were so many Raleigh Motus bikes. I am now wondering if I said the wrong one as the one i tried had 10 gears and was a bronze colour.

I tried the halfords Crossfire again today and did not like the surges of power. I preferred the feel of the Motus -

Just wondered - I tried a Motus with the battery on the pannier rack. some of the more expensive ones have the battery by your legs - is this in the way on a step through?
Thanks
My Motus has the battery in a lower tier on the back carrier. I assume that the designer has ensured that the battery on the uppost do not interfere with ones legs.
My only comment is that the Motus is a big arkward bike to manhandle through passageways , but a pleasure to ride.
There are slight variations from year to year.. my generation had hydraulic rim brakes and the more recent ones use disks. But they work fine and have great stopping power.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
so ...

how about this one

Reminder - looking for mainly on road
also trails off roads
hills - live on top of the Downs
thank you

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/motus-grand-tour-low-step-23033?___store=default&nosto=nosto-page-category1
You might need to clarify what you mean by off road trails.. it is capable of gravel paths, cobbles .. not much fun, maybe a grass or clay path, but not bouncing over tree stumps,roots and rocks. .. going along the grassy side of a pasture field , where the ground might have cattle hoof prints is hard work.
Hills coated with tarmac, no problem, in low gear. .. the intuvia display let's you know when the motor is labouring and invites you to switch down a gear

jayjay

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
You might need to clarify what you mean by off road trails.. it is capable of gravel paths, cobbles .. not much fun, maybe a grass or clay path, but not bouncing over tree stumps,roots and rocks. .. going along the grassy side of a pasture field , where the ground might have cattle hoof prints is hard work.
Hills coated with tarmac, no problem, in low gear. .. the intuvia display let's you know when the motor is labouring and invites you to switch down a gear
hi

not mountains or thick mud

more like forest paths and trails
thanks

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Yes, the Motus Grand Tour has a frame mounted battery on the Step Through.

Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
For city commuting with lots of stop starts Nexus hub is ideal as you can change when stop. With derailluer you need to shift down while slowing down, not always possible with unexpected quick stops.

Downside is removing rear tire for puncture repairs takes bit more time and few more tools. With modern puncture resistant tires shouldn't be issue.
the Nexus-8 is more practical than the Deore 10.
This said, the law of diminishing returns applies. There is little difference component wise between the models you are looking at, same capabilities in hill climbing and range.

• Agree
Reactions: Ben Jones and Woosh