Raleigh Motus or Giant Prime E+2 ?

Kimster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
OK, another option has come up for my first ebike - a second hand 9 month old Motus, barely used apparently, or new 2015 model Prime E +2. For general commuting and weekend hilly jaunts... any advice? Both approx the same price. Thanks to all previous responders, this is a great forum!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Both reasonable quality crank drive bikes, so you won't go far wrong with either.

The Motus has the Bosch system, which is slightly more refined and has four power levels, compared to the 2015 Yamaha's three.

Four levels gives you an extra option for battery range management, which matters because you will be pushing the envelope on your longer rides.

The current Yamaha motor has four levels, which also indicates four is better than three.

Assuming you like the fit and ride of both, the Motus is probably the better bet.

Don't pay too much for it, they are £2K new and you could probably get a £100 or so off that for cash.

Another thing to check is the battery, the Motus comes with a 400wh battery, about the same size as the Yamaha.

But there is a smaller capacity Bosch battery fitted to the similar Raleigh Captus.

The Motus you are buying is secondhand, and is probably to the correct spec, but nothing would surprise me on a used bike.

• Informative
Reactions: Kimster

Kimster

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Both reasonable quality crank drive bikes, so you won't go far wrong with either.

The Motus has the Bosch system, which is slightly more refined and has four power levels, compared to the 2015 Yamaha's three.

Four levels gives you an extra option for battery range management, which matters because you will be pushing the envelope on your longer rides.

The current Yamaha motor has four levels, which also indicates four is better than three.

Assuming you like the fit and ride of both, the Motus is probably the better bet.

Don't pay too much for it, they are £2K new and you could probably get a £100 or so off that for cash.

Another thing to check is the battery, the Motus comes with a 400wh battery, about the same size as the Yamaha.

But there is a smaller capacity Bosch battery fitted to the similar Raleigh Captus.

The Motus you are buying is secondhand, and is probably to the correct spec, but nothing would surprise me on a used bike.

Kimster

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Thanks Rob.I'm going to try the Motus this morning. It's offered at £1550. I don't know the person selling it. Any particular things I should look out for?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Rob.I'm going to try the Motus this morning. It's offered at £1550. I don't know the person selling it. Any particular things I should look out for?
Not particularly other than the usual and double check it has the bigger battery - it should have 400wh/11ah stamped on it somewhere.

By usual I mean establish the bike is not stolen and check for any accident damage.

Weighing up the seller/their surroundings is almost as important as weighing up the bike.

That is also something you can do without asking lots of searching questions, which it's easy for a stranger like me to tell you to do, but can be quite difficult when it comes to it.

If he/she comes over as straight, the chances are the bike will be the same.

He/she ought to be able to show you a sales invoice, the price is no secret, you both know the retail cost of the bike.

Make sure it has a charger, and on such a recent bike I would expect to see some documents - handbook, instruction leaflets, etc.

You don't really need those, but it's another indication everything is as it should be.

The battery has a key lock, a spare key is another indication of correctness, and you will automatically check the lock works when you check the battery size.

The display shows, among other things, the total mileage, so ask the seller to show you that.

All you are looking for there is the number fits with the back story of little use, so maybe a few hundred.

The price sounds fair, you might want to offer a hundred less with a view to settling on £1,500.

Any doubts about keys/charger/the seller or their story - walk away.

There are plenty of other ebikes.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Also check there are no HP on it, that it is theirs to sell.

Kimster

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Not particularly other than the usual and double check it has the bigger battery - it should have 400wh/11ah stamped on it somewhere.

By usual I mean establish the bike is not stolen and check for any accident damage.

Weighing up the seller/their surroundings is almost as important as weighing up the bike.

That is also something you can do without asking lots of searching questions, which it's easy for a stranger like me to tell you to do, but can be quite difficult when it comes to it.

If he/she comes over as straight, the chances are the bike will be the same.

He/she ought to be able to show you a sales invoice, the price is no secret, you both know the retail cost of the bike.

Make sure it has a charger, and on such a recent bike I would expect to see some documents - handbook, instruction leaflets, etc.

You don't really need those, but it's another indication everything is as it should be.

The battery has a key lock, a spare key is another indication of correctness, and you will automatically check the lock works when you check the battery size.

The display shows, among other things, the total mileage, so ask the buyer to show you that.

All you are looking for there is the number fits with the back story of little use, so maybe a few hundred.

The price sounds fair, you might want to offer a hundred less with a view to settling on £1,500.

Any doubts about keys/charger/the seller or their story - walk away.

There are plenty of other ebikes.
That's really helpful, thanks again Rob :)

Kimster

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Well, that was interesting. An elderly couple who bought a pair of Motus's on impulse. They've both been ridden precisely 42 miles, on 2 trips in the 9 months they've had them. All receipts, keys, documentation etc. They would like to sell one (either - low step or crossbar) for £1500. I'm really tempted - main difference seems to be battery position & slightly larger frame size on crossbar version. The man's one had one VERY squeaky brake - easily fixed? Also, do I need a special bike rack to transport it?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A squeaky brake can be a faff to cure, but it is harmless - all disc brakes squeak now and again.

You need a rack rated at 30kg plus, which not all are.

If you go for the step-through, you will probably need a dummy cross bar, some racks come with them.

Are you happy with the fit of the crossbar bike?

A bike which is a bit too small can be made to fit within reason, but one that is too big will never be right.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Excellent advice from Rob but as I'm sure Rob will confirm, the seller will be struggling to get his price so I personally would offer him £1000 hoping to settle for £1200....you never know :)
...best of luck....Mike

Kimster

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
I am so crap at bargaining & he was such a nice old man I'm giving him £1500 :eek: . At the moment I'm leaning towards the crossbar version as it feels a better fit & somewhere on here I read it may be a bit more stable over rough paths. Still time to change my mind on that though, he's delivering it tomorrow night. Thanks for all the advice :) Great forum.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I am so crap at bargaining & he was such a nice old man I'm giving him £1500 :eek: . At the moment I'm leaning towards the crossbar version as it feels a better fit & somewhere on here I read it may be a bit more stable over rough paths. Still time to change my mind on that though, he's delivering it tomorrow night. Thanks for all the advice :) Great forum.
The crossbar will be a bit more rigid and lighter, so if it fits and you have no problem mounting and dismounting it, it's probably the one to go for.

Always tempting to try to get something for less, but £1,500 is fair to both sides.

Sounds like the couple are not short of a shilling or two, which could have worked against you in that he's not desperate to sell and would only do so for his price.

The bike is as described, and you are getting it delivered.

You might have been able to track down another, but it would have taken time and leg work.

This way, you have a good bike in time to do some decent miles while we still have longer days and better weather.

Good job all round.

• Agree
Reactions: Kimster and Croxden

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I tried a Raleigh Motus a while back and really enjoyed it. I am thinking of changing to a step through and it will certainly be on the list. In the meantime enjoy.
regards

James21

Just Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Ireland
Hi all, I'm an Ebike user for 7years now and clock Apx 2.5 to 3000 miles per year. Thoroughly enjoy the entire experience. I have just taken delivery of a Raleigh Motus Crossbar with Bosch 400 Battery and finding it very efficient. Certainly by comparison with my other bikes I'm getting a lot more exercise as I need to input more to achieve what I'm used to.
I would appreciate any advice/tips on using the Motus re Gears etc.
Just new to this Forum. Thanks so much.
Regards,
James21

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome James.
Your post has slightly confused me. Efficiency to me usually means more for less. You said you had to work harder on the new bike to get the same?
Care to elaborate mate.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
OK, another option has come up for my first ebike - a second hand 9 month old Motus, barely used apparently, or new 2015 model Prime E +2. For general commuting and weekend hilly jaunts... any advice? Both approx the same price. Thanks to all previous responders, this is a great forum!
... The Motus is a good product. Strong, smooth and with the Bosch system very refined. Coming from Raliegh there will be parts support into the future. I cannot comment

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I've just bought a Raleigh motus as well:)
Enjoy .. it's a good product. When I stop at coffee shops I just use the built in lock and remove the display panel and put it in my pocket.. the bike cannot be used electrically without it. , And it would be easy to steal. If going to a shopping centre, I would use a heavier coiled steel lock , Oxford brand and attach it to something secure.
Can I suggest you get a pannier, there are ones which just clip
It has an immobiliser lock and one can attach a lock to it.

What are your recommendations for a secure lock?

Enjoy .. it's a good product. When I stop at coffee shops I just use the built in lock and remove the display panel and put it in my pocket.. the bike cannot be used electrically without it. , And it would be easy to steal. If going to a shopping centre, I would use a heavier coiled steel lock , Oxford brand and attach it to something secure.
Can I suggest you get a pannier, there are ones which just clip onto the back carrier and makes lugging the heavy lock, and any groceries painless.

Reactions: Linnipflanzen

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Word caution regarding pannier bags, don't put wallets or keys in them when riding. We lost a bag recently when riding over rough ground, luckily an honest person found it and tracked us down. From now my keys and wallet stay on my person in zipped pocket or backpack.

• Useful
Reactions: Linnipflanzen

Linnipflanzen

Apr 20, 2017
St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely get a pannier then. Is there anything to look out for with them/to be sure it'll fit?

There is a frame lock on the bike with a bit where you can attach another lock using the same key... that'd be handy to use but I'm not even sure what that kind of lock is called.

No one so far suggested something that could be used with it, which is fine obviously:D

I just wanted to make sure that this is not because I didn't explain correctly what I'm looking for?

The litelovk looks cool :)

I have a gold d lock current, which does its job for my normal bike.

Thanks for helping me again!