Raleigh Stonefly Conversion?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
A couple of weeks ago a mate of mine was out with me on our guest bike. It was his first time riding an assisted bike. Towards the end of the ride I asked him how he was doing. He said he really didn't think the motor was doing much that he could feel. So I told him to just rotate the pedals without putting pressure on them, he slowed down a bit, I told him that's what the motor's doing. Then I told him to turn the power off but carry on pedalling, he slowed down a lot, 'That's what you're doing'.
I agree the brain is somehow arrogant enough to assume that speed and ease attained with assist is down to what it's telling the body to do. No assist, back to the leaden legs of a(insert age here) year old. Which is why we went electric in the first place.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not forgetting that the illusional drag effect is also down to the fact that an ebike unassisted is carrying extra dead weight and in some cases may be 10kg or more then a nice lightweight 9 or 10kg bike (esp a drop bar bike).

Ashley750

Pedelecer
May 12, 2018
Kenilworth
So, I have sent my bike details to Woosh, to see which of their kits they recommend, and what PAS I need.

They have a kMXUS XF08C kit, and a Befang SWX02 kit. How do these 2 motors compare?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You are not heavy, I think the XF07 kit with 13AH or 17AH HL battery will do the job.
The higher capacity battery gives extra range (about 60 miles) and does not make the bike more torquey.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-192-xf07rkit-13ah/xf07-rear-hub-kit-with-13ah-battery
Potential difficult points to check:
1) installing the HL battery:

The top bottle cage bolt can be used for the lowest of the 3 fixing holes on the HL cradle, you will need to install 2 x M5 rivnuts (they come with the kit) for the top and middle anchor points.
2) left side pedal sensor:
There seems enough space for the left side pedal sensor, you may have to shave away a touch off the left crank if it is too squeezed.
3) Freewheel:
do you have the freewheel tool to take the old one out? If not, let us know, we can supply a new 7-speed freewheel (£7).
4) Sensored brake levers:
You have integrated gear shifters, making it difficult to fit the new brake levers.
You don't have to fit brake sensors but it is a precaution in case you have to brake in corner turns etc. The alternative is to fit the hydraulic brake sensors with red 2-pin connectors.

If you have any question, just ask.

D

Deleted member 4366

the 48v SWX02 will give a lot more power and torque than the 36v MXUS, but the battery will go down faster if you use the maximum power. The Bafang is a freewheel motor, so good up to 7 speeds. 8-speed can be done, but it brings some complications. The MXUS is a cassette motor, so good for more than 7 speeds.

Ashley750

Pedelecer
May 12, 2018
Kenilworth
And I've just spent my lunch break looking at the 36v BBS01B kit. Costs more, but looks interesting and is quite tempting....... decisions, decisions!!

D

Deleted member 4366

And I've just spent my lunch break looking at the 36v BBS01B kit. Costs more, but looks interesting and is quite tempting....... decisions, decisions!!
More expensive, not as reliable, not as convenient and not as nice. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Just to put my pennyworth in. I've been noticeing lately that the large majority of posts, in the kit section, are about bbsxx. Either niggles, programming, maintenance issues, gear /chain alignment issues - the list goes on. I fitted a hub kit 5500 miles/ 3.5 years ago and haven't had to touch it since.
Just saying;)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Or a GSM with external controller, although I have only done 2500 km or so with it so far. With a double chainwheel you can either go very fast on the flat or climb very steep mountains which you can't do with just one hub motor, you have to choose one or the other.

Ashley750

Pedelecer
May 12, 2018
Kenilworth
Order placed with Woosh today for the MXUS XF08C rear hub kit and hydraulic brake sensors. Have to say, they have been very helpful answering all my questions.

I now need to source a 7-speed 14-28T cassette, as mine is currently a free wheel, and will renew the BB (has some play), and the brake / gear cables (kinked in places). I also want some handle bars with a bit of rise and more sweep, for a more upright position.

Looking forward to starting on this project :D.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
very exciting :)

you will probably want to change your chain while you are at it, I run three KMC Z8 chains and swap out for maintenance - worth shopping round for them

Is wheel 8 speed? If so you might need a spacer behind 7 speed cassette, mine did

Last edited:

Ashley750

Pedelecer
May 12, 2018
Kenilworth
Is wheel 8 speed? If so you might need a spacer behind 7 speed cassette, mine did
Bought a "Shimano CASS HG41 7 Speed" cassette, and it does need a spacer. Any idea what thickness spacer is required. Looking on line, some spacers have inner teeth, others don't, what sort is best? Guessing one without teeth would need to be thicker?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
IIRC I have a couple of 1 mm ones that the LBS gave me for free.